The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Gambling Spot » » Difference Between Gambler/Hustlers and Demonstrators (10 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
What is the difference between nobody here claiming to be something they are not and somebody here denying to be something they are?
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
5ggg
View Profile
New user
90 Posts

Profile of 5ggg
Quote:
On Sep 1, 2020, Mr. Bones wrote:
I guess if you're counting Blackeagle, then "yeah" ... there are a few folks who have passed through who were claiming to be something they were quite obviously not

But in general terms, I'm not talking about casual visitors to the forum claiming they have a guaranteed dice setting system ... I'm talking about the long time regulars being pretty much exactly what they (we) say we are - the regulars who've been here as long as you and I have been here.
In that crowd, nobody is claiming to be something they're not (which was my point).

ahh, I see your point now. my fault, I saw it a different way
cbharrelson
View Profile
Regular user
167 Posts

Profile of cbharrelson
For nostalgia’s sake a list of games I used tod hustle at. Texas high low holdem, Texas tank and 9 ball pool. Did not like dice.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
It is all about the circumstances as Steve Forte says. The circumstances are that which tell us why our ancestors did the things they did. The circumstances make stories interesting, give context to what and so on. What where the circumstances of Texas high low holdem, Texas tank and 9 ball pool? When, where? Where the games self-dealt homes games, pool hall games, or what?
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
cbharrelson
View Profile
Regular user
167 Posts

Profile of cbharrelson
A lot fo the time in pool halls. I was 15 years old when I learned from another hustler the mcdougal riffle cull and stack where he could stack a flush or straight in 2 riffles. Poker games flourished in pool halls and even in barber shops many home games dealers choice pot limit 5, 10, 10, 20 and 25 50. I watched and learned. At 16 I started working at a carnival hustling people on the midway and playing cards off hours.by the time I was 22 I started playing in a lot of 5-10 games I had read about top players playing at the golden nugget in Las Vegas. I made a trip played straight for 2 days and nights no sleep but I left the table a winner. Unfortunately those days are over. I played online for a while but now I only like to learn and just to see if I can execute the moves and learn a few new moves I haven’t played in live games since 1985. Hope this helps. Texas Tonik is the simplified version of gin rummy.
cbharrelson
View Profile
Regular user
167 Posts

Profile of cbharrelson
Tommy you are in England I believe. There are games popular there but not so popular in America. Tonk is a game that became popular in the southern USA. Very popular in African American communities it is called the poor mans gin rummy a lot faster game. They have national championship tournament games in USA Today. A hustler likes a game they can play better than the average bear.
Cagliostro
View Profile
Inner circle
2478 Posts

Profile of Cagliostro
Quote:
On Sep 3, 2020, cbharrelson wrote:

...I was 15 years old when I learned from another hustler the mcdougal riffle cull and stack where he could stack a flush or straight in 2 riffles...

Interesting background information but I would question the above statement.

I have read just about everything MacDougall wrote and am well acquainted with his riffle cull and his riffle stack technique using a perfect shuffle, but I am not acquainted with this riffle cull and stack for 5 cards (flush or straight) in two shuffles.

Perhaps you can clarity.
cbharrelson
View Profile
Regular user
167 Posts

Profile of cbharrelson
That is the beauty of this stack. It was not done the way it was taught in macdougall’s book.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Thank you. May I ask, why the old hustler showed you the move?

Tommy
Cagliostro
View Profile
Inner circle
2478 Posts

Profile of Cagliostro
Quote:

That is the beauty of this stack. It was not done the way it was taught in macdougall’s book.

While I don’t doubt this is different than taught in his books, based upon my knowledge of moves it doesn't appear possible.

Of course, if something is missing from the explanation, like a pre-stack or for a two handed game or whatever, that would make a difference. However, the explanation is too brief for me to get a handle on it. It is too vague.

it implies culling and stacking five cards in two shuffles for an indeterminate number of hands. I can't do that, but if you can, I salute you for that ability.
cbharrelson
View Profile
Regular user
167 Posts

Profile of cbharrelson
Can you know a lot about gambling moves you will figure it out. You are already working on it. Tommy at 15 I had an ability to get to know people and become friendly. He did not feel threatened by me and after Watching him play and a lot of flattery he showed me how to do the stack. I was akibitzer not a player then but I knew all the players.
Cagliostro
View Profile
Inner circle
2478 Posts

Profile of Cagliostro
Quote:

Can (i.e. CAG) you know a lot about gambling moves you will figure it out. (re: the riffle cull/stack for a five card straight or flush in 2 shuffles). You are already working on it.

No, I have not figured it out but decided my upside down, reverse, spinning center deal is all I will ever need in any game.Smile
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
I asked because I had a very similar experience myself when I was a young kid but the old hustler, who I had known all my life, did not teach the move for nothing. I was playing a wealthy a fella Kalooki and the old hustler whispered in my ear: I will teach you how to get the money at this game for half the winnings. The old hustler was Lue Baxter.

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style......338.html

Tommy
cbharrelson
View Profile
Regular user
167 Posts

Profile of cbharrelson
Well Tommy even today for various reasons hustlers will demonstrate moves. I think he was trying to impress.
cbharrelson
View Profile
Regular user
167 Posts

Profile of cbharrelson
Tommy that is a very interesting story.
cbharrelson
View Profile
Regular user
167 Posts

Profile of cbharrelson
Cag I don’t think the type of games where these maneuvers flourished exist anymore.
cbharrelson
View Profile
Regular user
167 Posts

Profile of cbharrelson
Cag you of all people on this forum has spoken about the wisdom in s and f . 1 collusion2 marked or prepared cards 3 manipulation.
cbharrelson
View Profile
Regular user
167 Posts

Profile of cbharrelson
I will leave with this thought. My advice to a hustler of today. Learn how to cull and stack with the scramble.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
The old hustler taught the me the move. It was a simple and bold move, which has to be executed at the right moment in the game and works great. Kallooki is a form of Gin, played with two decks and two Jokers and the move is called, Putting in the Jokers. Kallooki is popular in England as a side game, in Spiels, that to say ilegal gambling dens and billiard halls. Bit like pool hustling: find the right mark and it is worth the light.

Tommy
cbharrelson
View Profile
Regular user
167 Posts

Profile of cbharrelson
Texas tonk uses 2 jokers.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Gambling Spot » » Difference Between Gambler/Hustlers and Demonstrators (10 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL