The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Quick Survey about a resurrected CSB offering (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Payner44
View Profile
Loyal user
272 Posts

Profile of Payner44
So, I know a coin gaff guy who I have discussed making a version of the old Eddie Gibson Chinese Bit set. This is the one the uses a "post" coin as the gaff. AFAIK, this version hasn't been made in years and Eddie is no longer around to make them, either.

Decent performance seen at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAvvqMJHO4c

Question is, how many of you would be interested in buying this set if it was released? Obviously, the coin gaff guy would need a decent amount of interest in order to produce the set at a reasonable cost to us and still make an acceptable profit.

I appreciate your feedback and will keep track of the replies to this post.

Thanks,

Steve
"I'm not arguing with you, I'm just explaining why you're wrong!"
stevie c
View Profile
Regular user
105 Posts

Profile of stevie c
Hi Steve. I recently got a CSB set from Mark Mason that has a Chinese s***l. What do you mean by having the 'post' coin as a gaff?

BW

Steve
Payner44
View Profile
Loyal user
272 Posts

Profile of Payner44
The gaff coin has a post in the center of the shell (English penny on heads side) so that it fills the hole in the silver/Chinese insert when nested. This way it routines like a CSB set that uses a Kennedy, English Penny and Centavo, only with a Chinese coin instead of the Centavo.
Jxb1989
View Profile
New user
72 Posts

Profile of Jxb1989
Mods delete if not allowed. This is the style he means. This is an old (presumably Presley guitar, has the initials)...I would like a walker or Morgan version https://drive.google.com/file/d/1VK98ylg......drivesdk
Payner44
View Profile
Loyal user
272 Posts

Profile of Payner44
Quote:
On Jun 1, 2020, Jxb1989 wrote:
Mods delete if not allowed. This is the style he means. This is an old (presumably Presley guitar, has the initials)...I would like a walker or Morgan version https://drive.google.com/file/d/1VK98ylg......drivesdk

Yes, that's the set. Chinese coin may be a bit different, though.
Douglas.M
View Profile
Elite user
453 Posts

Profile of Douglas.M
I have heard of the Chinese Bit, but have never seen one. Does the silver/Chinese coin have to be in proper rotation to be seen as a normal (more or less) half dollar?

It's different, that's for sure; but I am curious as to what the advantage would be with a silver/Chinese insert vs a silver/centavo insert other than preferring an english penny vs a centavo in the mix.

Cool idea though.

Doug
Payner44
View Profile
Loyal user
272 Posts

Profile of Payner44
It’s a Centavo versus a Chinese coin, not an English penny versus a Centavo.
Jxb1989
View Profile
New user
72 Posts

Profile of Jxb1989
You can use the nested unit as a cs a friend has pointed out.
Jxb1989
View Profile
New user
72 Posts

Profile of Jxb1989
Hocus pocus Magic shop has the rights to make Chinese bit. They still sell Chinese but sets. Granted Eddie was known to borrow ideas without permission (irony), I would contact them first so no toes get stepped on.
Jxb1989
View Profile
New user
72 Posts

Profile of Jxb1989
Hocus pocus in the uk *
pabloinus
View Profile
Inner circle
1586 Posts

Profile of pabloinus
Translocation by Regal has a similar configuration with a post
Payner44
View Profile
Loyal user
272 Posts

Profile of Payner44
Quote:
Hocus pocus Magic shop has the rights to make Chinese bit. They still sell Chinese but sets. Granted Eddie was known to borrow ideas without permission (irony), I would contact them first so no toes get stepped on.

I didn’t know that, so thanks for the heads up!
Jxb1989
View Profile
New user
72 Posts

Profile of Jxb1989
Yes, just make sure you email the uk hocus pocus ....it’s a different company than the one here in the states.
magicmind
View Profile
Inner circle
Wandering around with
2275 Posts

Profile of magicmind
I bought this set from Stevens in the 90's I believe it to be a bob swadling or eddie gibson CSB set.
Pay it forward
Tom G
View Profile
Inner circle
2683 Posts

Profile of Tom G
I had the old Eddie Gibson set, I think I still have the gaff. I never liked the alignment thing with the post and the rest of the coin.
magicmind
View Profile
Inner circle
Wandering around with
2275 Posts

Profile of magicmind
Quote:
On Jun 5, 2020, Tom G wrote:
I had the old Eddie Gibson set, I think I still have the gaff. I never liked the alignment thing with the post and the rest of the coin.

It never aligned the eagle correctly, but no one noticed. Funny thing was that at the time I received it most had johnson sets, so I would enjoy doing CSB for other new magicians.
Pay it forward
Payner44
View Profile
Loyal user
272 Posts

Profile of Payner44
Quote:
On Jun 9, 2020, magicmind wrote:
Quote:
On Jun 5, 2020, Tom G wrote:

It never aligned the eagle correctly, but no one noticed. Funny thing was that at the time I received it most had johnson sets, so I would enjoy doing CSB for other new magicians.

Agree with the alignment concern. No one has ever noticed, because it is so well camo'd from the pattern. With the routine that I perform you begin and end clean anyway, so there's nothing to worry about. I think that it's the best CSB set ever created!! I own 3 sets!!
TC Ryder
View Profile
Elite user
Florida
495 Posts

Profile of TC Ryder
Quote:
You can use the nested unit as a cs a friend has pointed out.

I agree with this. I found a set in my box of coin gaffs. The fact that you can use the gaff as a C/S coin
gives it a entire new perspective. Start with a C/S routine and go into a CSB routine. Add an expanded Sh--l
on the Gaff and unlimited possibilities.
www.realcoinmagic.com

"Real Coins for Real Magicians"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Quick Survey about a resurrected CSB offering (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL