The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Crime reporting » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (14 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9 [Next]
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2914 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Quote:
On Jul 21, 2020, landmark wrote:
And there is *no one* in politics who is up to meeting it.

I think it's time people looked elsewhere, indeed.

Marshall Rosenberg spoke of a human "evolutionary snag".

I think it's been pointed out very clearly now.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16230 Posts

Profile of tommy
I do not agree. The law or new laws is what you need.

Social engineering techniques vary but, it seems to me, the best way is to gradually bring in new laws. You bring the laws is one at a time, to give the police and public a chance to get used to them, until you get the new norms and values that you want. Excessive force and the like is essentially an abuse of power.

What changed the norms and values of the British police for the better was the Police and Criminal Evidence Act, which was not a set of new laws but rather a set of guidelines, a code of conduct, used by the courts to judge if the police had behaved properly or not.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
5216 Posts

Profile of RNK
Quote:
On Jul 21, 2020, landmark wrote:

Let's see. Nationwide protests against police brutality, and the police response has been marked by even more instances of unprovoked police violence against protestors, bystanders and journalists even as they know they are being videoed. If that's an improvement, I hate to think about what the base line was here.

"unprovoked police violence against protestors" LOL! Right, because these protests are always so peaceful. Not once has a protestor attacked the police for no reason. Keep living in your bubble.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5021 Posts

Profile of landmark
Whether protestors are peaceful or not is irrelevant. I am not talking about actions against someone who is doing something violent. I am talking about UNPROVOKED violence by police. There has been plenty of it, and everyone knows it and has seen it.

As for bubble, unless you're in LE, I suspect I've been to more demonstrations than you have.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20552 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
If protesters violence is not relevant neither is that of cops.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2755 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
"Other protesters were violent, so THESE protesters will PROBABLY be violent. So I should bust their heads NOW instead of later!"
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16230 Posts

Profile of tommy
Chauvin has been charged with second-degree murder.

The three other officers involved in Floyd's death -- Kueng, Lane and Tou Thao -- were also arrested and charged with aiding and abetting second-degree murder and aiding and abetting second-degree manslaughter.

So given that these officers have been brought to justice, what is the point of protesting this case?

Why don't the people instead protest cases where police have not been charged where rightly they ought to have been?
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20552 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Aug 4, 2020, ed rhodes wrote:
"Other protesters were violent, so THESE protesters will PROBABLY be violent. So I should bust their heads NOW instead of later!"

These cops are bad so defund all cops. Funny how you seem to miss this point isn't it?

Anyone can play that silly game Ed.

Now how about we actually discuss it instead of using talking points? Because nobody said what you said in this quote.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5021 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
Why don't the people instead protest cases where police have not been charged where rightly they ought to have been?

It's way past the point where people are protesting just one particular case or another. People are protesting the whole judicial system from top to bottom. For better or for worse, the co-ordinated ongoing injustices on display during these protests have moved many people past the "one bad apple" point of view to "the system is thoroughly corrupt" point of view.

The kinds of questions that are being asked now are not so much about individual police officers but more like, what is the purpose of the police, what are the origins of policing, who controls the police, who exactly do the police serve?
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20552 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Nonsense.

Sorry you stepped way too far. You may be asking those questions but that is because they fit your agenda. Not because they are a reality.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16230 Posts

Profile of tommy
And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music.

https://garygindler.com/2020/07/22/black-camo-eng/

Tommy
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5021 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
On Aug 5, 2020, tommy wrote:
And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music.

Wow that was like stumbling upon some MS-DOS computer program where some guy threw together some random words and told the computer to make something that looks like a blog post, only it's like version .02a. It's like instead of discovering Artificial Intelligence this guy discovered Artificial Stupidity.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6777 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20552 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Why don't we stop using nonsense talking points and falling for landmarks game?

So Jack, just HOW MANY unarmed people of color do you believe are killed each year by cops? Let's start there. The word "genocide" is thrown about pretty often so lets see just how many makes a genocide.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2755 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On Aug 5, 2020, Dannydoyle wrote:
Quote:

These cops are bad so defund all cops. Funny how you seem to miss this point isn't it?

Now how about we actually discuss it instead of using talking points? Because nobody said what you said in this quote.

I defy you to find a post where I suggested "defunding the cops" was a good idea.
Ain't life unkind?"
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2755 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On Aug 5, 2020, landmark wrote:
Quote:
On Aug 5, 2020, tommy wrote:

Wow that was like stumbling upon some MS-DOS computer program where some guy threw together some random words and told the computer to make something that looks like a blog post, only it's like version .02a. It's like instead of discovering Artificial Intelligence this guy discovered Artificial Stupidity.

I used to have a book of computer programs. One of which allowed you to make DATA statements and string them together into what looked like a coherent speech... if you didn't look to closely. This reminded me of that.
Ain't life unkind?"
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27136 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
ELIZA and OpenAI GPT-2 but rather than Rogerian therapy, weight the text for Inflammatory phrases.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20552 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Aug 5, 2020, ed rhodes wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

I defy you to find a post where I suggested "defunding the cops" was a good idea.

How about first you show where anyone suggested what YOU said in your quote?

Nice game huh?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5021 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
Why don't we stop using nonsense talking points and falling for landmarks game?

So Jack, just HOW MANY unarmed people of color do you believe are killed each year by cops? Let's start there. The word "genocide" is thrown about pretty often so lets see just how many makes a genocide.

Danny, the question is how many people of color have been brutalized, unjustly arrested, bloodied, harassed, lied about in court, left to rot in jails and prisons, made to confess, had false evidence planted on them, been the subject of racist remarks, pepper sprayed, tear gassed, executed, denied promotion, denied proper legal counsel, subject to the whims of racist judges enforcing racist laws...let's start there. Then you'll understand why Chauvin was just the last straw.

People aren't buying the "bad apples" excuse anymore. It's over.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5021 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
On Aug 5, 2020, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
ELIZA and OpenAI GPT-2 but rather than Rogerian therapy, weight the text for Inflammatory phrases.

That was kind of my thought. It was the crudeness of the effort that amused me. Propaganda (excuse me, opinion formation) has gotten so much slicker and sophisticated than that. It was like watching one of those 1950s cigarette commercials where 9 out of 10 doctors recommend Camels.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Crime reporting » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (14 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL