The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Crime reporting » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (14 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16232 Posts

Profile of tommy
It would all be reminiscent of empty shop shelves in the former Soviet Union if only we had some shops.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16232 Posts

Profile of tommy
What the data say about police shootings

How do racial biases play into deadly encounters with the police? Researchers wrestle with incomplete data to reach answers.

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-019-02601-9
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20533 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Aug 5, 2020, landmark wrote:
Quote:
On Aug 5, 2020, Dannydoyle wrote:
Why don't we stop using nonsense talking points and falling for landmarks game?

So Jack, just HOW MANY unarmed people of color do you believe are killed each year by cops? Let's start there. The word "genocide" is thrown about pretty often so lets see just how many makes a genocide.

Danny, the question is how many people of color have been brutalized, unjustly arrested, bloodied, harassed, lied about in court, left to rot in jails and prisons, made to confess, had false evidence planted on them, been the subject of racist remarks, pepper sprayed, tear gassed, executed, denied promotion, denied proper legal counsel, subject to the whims of racist judges enforcing racist laws...let's start there. Then you'll understand why Chauvin was just the last straw.

People aren't buying the "bad apples" excuse anymore. It's over.

So you just make up stuff and claim rioting is ok.

Sorry back it up. Show proof of your claims please. Not rhetoric, not other people making claims. Show me how many cops do this regularly.

Point is you can't back it up with anything but cops and America sucks and capitalism failed. You have nothing but talking points to stir crap. No plan nothing.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6743 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Quote:

Here is some data. Most will ignore it.
It will be eye opening for some.
I like the last line best.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16232 Posts

Profile of tommy
Most will ignore it twice as it is unavailable to most for legal reasons, among other things.

Tommy
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1192 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
Quote:
On Aug 5, 2020, Dannydoyle wrote:
Why don't we stop using nonsense talking points and falling for landmarks game?

So Jack, just HOW MANY unarmed people of color do you believe are killed each year by cops? Let's start there. The word "genocide" is thrown about pretty often so lets see just how many makes a genocide.

Danny, the question is how many people of color have been brutalized, unjustly arrested, bloodied, harassed, lied about in court, left to rot in jails and prisons, made to confess, had false evidence planted on them, been the subject of racist remarks, pepper sprayed, tear gassed, executed, denied promotion, denied proper legal counsel, subject to the whims of racist judges enforcing racist laws...let's start there. Then you'll understand why Chauvin was just the last straw.

Weren't you the guy making the argument about people doing a uniquely difficult job that people outside the profession didn't understand well enough to judge? My bad...we were talking about teachers then.
Smile
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27137 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Odd news day with one story about a suit against the NRA and a different story about a law proposed in Arkansas to give concealed carry to judges.

Anything but talk about privilege?

* https://www.theguardian.com/books/2020/a......n-review

And still not talking about inertia and the forces which move people.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27137 Posts

Quote:
On Jul 21, 2020, landmark wrote:
The Powers That Be have created a situation where there's little left to lose for too many. It's a fairly historic moment. And there is *no one* in politics who is up to meeting it. The moment requires one of those once-in-a-generation leaders and s/he's nowhere to be seen. Instead mediocrity reigns everywhere.

The powers so great you did not name. (is that a union thing?)
That yearning for a strong opinion and charisma is exactly the vulnerability being exploited.
We risk skipping past a discussion of Lenin versus Lennon (about revolution) and going directly to Stalin era fear driven social programs.
Just a suggestion: Please don't ask for guidance from "nowhere to be seen".

"someone to save us - someone to follow - someone to lead us - some brave Apollo"?
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27137 Posts

Quote:
On Aug 6, 2020, magicfish wrote:
Quote:

Here is some data. Most will ignore it.
It will be eye opening for some.
I like the last line best.

Here are some data...
https://statisticalatlas.com/neighborhoo......thnicity
... that have also been noticed.

Though if we try a dollar value / acre map it might look rather different.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5017 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
On Aug 6, 2020, Dannydoyle wrote:
Quote:

So you just make up stuff and claim rioting is ok.

Sorry back it up. Show proof of your claims please. Not rhetoric, not other people making claims. Show me how many cops do this regularly.

Point is you can't back it up with anything but cops and America sucks and capitalism failed. You have nothing but talking points to stir crap. No plan nothing.

NYPD lawsuit settlements for 2019: $200 million+; LAPD: $100 million +; Chicago $100 million +.
Those are just the settlements. Imagine, One Billion dollars over three years in just three cities. It's fairly mindboggling.

As for "no plans, nothing," I've been talking about what I think could be done for fifteen years here. Gets kind of boring to keep repeating it. But just because you don't like or agree with the ideas put forth doesn't mean I haven't articulated them.

Meanwhile your plan evidently is to continue the failed policies. But denying doesn't make things go away.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5017 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
On Aug 6, 2020, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
Quote:
On Jul 21, 2020, landmark wrote:
The Powers That Be have created a situation where there's little left to lose for too many. It's a fairly historic moment. And there is *no one* in politics who is up to meeting it. The moment requires one of those once-in-a-generation leaders and s/he's nowhere to be seen. Instead mediocrity reigns everywhere.

The powers so great you did not name. (is that a union thing?)
That yearning for a strong opinion and charisma is exactly the vulnerability being exploited.
We risk skipping past a discussion of Lenin versus Lennon (about revolution) and going directly to Stalin era fear driven social programs.
Just a suggestion: Please don't ask for guidance from "nowhere to be seen".

"someone to save us - someone to follow - someone to lead us - some brave Apollo"?

Didn't think I would have to spell it out, but The Powers That Be= Those who hold the economic and political power in the country. Too numerous to mention by name. The individual names aren't that important--there will always be other individuals to replace them. What's important are the institutions to preserve the elite class's power: the two major political parties, Wall Street, the military and police apparatus that enforces the inequality.

When I spoke of leader, I specifically mentioned *in politics*--that is, someone from the ruling class who might mitigate things to save capitalism from itself as FDR managed to do.

But quite right, the working class does not need leaders in that sense. If there's a revolution in this country, it will happen through patient organizing on the ground, and through constant acts of courage. There are extraordinary ordinary people all over the place fighting to make their own and other people's lives better.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5017 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
On Aug 6, 2020, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Quote:

Weren't you the guy making the argument about people doing a uniquely difficult job that people outside the profession didn't understand well enough to judge? My bad...we were talking about teachers then.
Smile

You're quite right, I've made that point several times here, and I've made it not only with regard to teachers, but also specifically to police officers. I think it holds true for almost all jobs as a general rule. I think being a police officer is a very difficult job.

But it doesn't affect one iota the reality of what I listed above.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20533 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
All you proved conclusively is we live in a litigious society.

Then you do what you always do to prove your fantasy land bs. "Imagine..." and go on to fill in with your own private agenda ad if it were fact.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6743 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Quote:
On Aug 6, 2020, tommy wrote:
Most will ignore it twice as it is unavailable to most for legal reasons, among other things.

Incorrect
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16232 Posts

Profile of tommy
451: Unavailable due to legal reasons
We recognize you are attempting to access this website from a country belonging to the European Economic Area (EEA) including the EU which enforces the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and therefore access cannot be granted at this time. For any issues, contact news@joplinglobe.com or call (800) 444-8514.

Tommy
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16232 Posts

Profile of tommy
The DA offices are full of retired police officers, which a conflict of interest where police officers are being prosecuted or not as the case may be. What you have got there is an illusion of independence as people think the DA offices are just full of bunch of independent layers. It is no wonder some police officers think they can get away with murder.

Tommy
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Crime reporting » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (14 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL