The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Did you hear the latest? » » Magic Nook Closing (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3209 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
Owing to sickness of the two old geezers, the Magic Nook will be closing soon. The plan is to gradually release the individual effects back to the original authors so they can keep selling their tricks on other sites (which will probably result in increased prices). I will try to keep you informed as the process continues.
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
1836 Posts

Profile of David Todd
Sorry to hear that you and Prof. Spellbinder are ill. But can't you just leave the Magic Nook site as it is now to allow people to purchase your material via PayPal?

I don't think it requires you to do anything other than continue to accept the PayPal payments to your bank accounts. So why closing down ?
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3209 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
It's called death. When one dies, control over the business is either lost or transferred before death to whomever will continue the business. We would rather have the original authors be in control of their own material and make those decisions whether to continue selling their material or not, and whether to increase the prices, etc.
Tim Snyder
View Profile
New user
Chicago, IL
91 Posts

Profile of Tim Snyder
I wish you well, Jim. The Magic Nook was a great project. I admire your work with the kids in the community and never understood the hassles you got for mentioning your ebooks that contained tricks people were interested in. Especially knowing how cheap your ebooks were. I truly believe that you have many more admirers than detractors.

Take care,
Tim
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5355 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
This is a resource that I will sorely miss. I think many of our fellow magicians will sorely miss the Nook. Cudos for the labor of love you put into it all these years. I've bought a number of articles/tricks from you and benefited greatly from the novel handlings and the valuable history lessons. I totally understand that time marches on for all of us. Knowing that little fact doesn't make this any less sad.



Perhaps the content could be processed through Lybary.com. They are good about paying the author's royalties for works sold.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3209 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
I'd prefer that each of my authors make the decision about whether they will sell their own works or settle for Lybrary's royalties. It's a Wiz Kid thing.

Meanwhile, I have decided to finish up Wizards' Journal #42 with my variation on Del Ray's mechanical mouse trick.
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
1836 Posts

Profile of David Todd
Jim, I want to say thanks again for all the creative work that you and Prof. Spellbinder have published on the Magic Nook website over the years. I do hope the individual authors will continue to sell their own works , either on their own site or through Lybrary.com .

Best wishes to the both of you.
docguitarman
View Profile
Special user
Thousand Oaks, California
645 Posts

Profile of docguitarman
Jim,

I too want to thank you for all of your contributions on the Café and your wonderful creations.

Best wishes to all

Phil
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
1836 Posts

Profile of David Todd
I noticed an announcement on the Magic Nook site as of Monday, August 24, 2020 -

Quote:
"Under New Management: Yusif Tremil, a former Wiz Kid member and trustee (1985 - 1995) who went on to college and medical school to become a health care professional, is currently taking medical care of Jim Gerrish and me and using his experience and knowledge of magic to take over the day to day operation of the Magic Nook for us. The increase in prices of our e-Books is helping to cover his services for The Magic Nook, just as our health insurance covers his health care services to his two bedridden patients and former magic teachers."

-Phineas Spellbinder


http://www.magicnook.com/calendar/calendar.htm
The Magic Ref
View Profile
Loyal user
Flint, Mi.
289 Posts

Profile of The Magic Ref
Just a thought for those who care. I tried to buy something on there and I can't prove I'm a magician? It might just be me but I don't get what they are looking for to prove? I sent my promo pic but because it doesn't have my name on it it won't work. Here is the list of things you cannot use to verify you're a magician:

What's a Verified Magician?
A Verified Magician is someone who can PROVE that he or she is a magician.
Why do you need to verify magicians? Isn't it just enough that I say I am a magician?
We have been verifying our customers as magicians since day one, but recently, probably because of the increased use of the Internet and Social Media, etc., we began to notice an increase in the number of people who were just curious and wanted to learn magic secrets. Some were violating copyright laws and re-selling our e-Books to who knows who? So, to protect our magic secrets from those who had no need for them but who merely wanted them to re-sell for profits or whatever, we have been requiring all new customers, recognizable by their e-mail addresses not being on file, to verify themselves, as well as doing our usual best to verify them independently.
In the recent past, it was enough for magicians to mention the names of famous magicians as "proof" that they were verified magicians - usually bringing up the name Dai Vernon would do it. So many non-magicians began by naming modern magicians who appear on YouTube or on social media. We aren't interested in having you recite a list of famous magicians; that proves nothing about YOU.
How do you PROVE that you are a magician over the Internet?
We won't give you that information. We leave verification up to you. Magicians have to PROVE that they are magicians every time they perform. We don't care if you are an amateur or a professional, male or female, young or old. If you are a magician you will be able to verify it. If not, we refund any money you sent, because you can't be a customer of The Magic Nook.
Give me some clues.
PROOF is NOT talking or writing about yourself, or your history, how long you have been "in" magic, what clubs you belong to, who you know, who knows you, etc. SHOW me who and what you are, don't tell me. Convince me you are just as serious about magic as I am.
Maybe it would help to know the kinds of answers or information that we do NOT accept because they are not PROOF, but just a lot of talk or writing without verifying.

Here are some things we are NOT INTERESTED in because they DO NOT verify that you are a magician:

No, I don't care how many years you claim to have been "in magic" because you have no way to prove that and I have no interest in it. I have seen Wiz Kids who developed into verified magicians after a few months, so "years spent" has no meaning for me. It's how you spend the time you have that makes you a magician or not.

No, I don't care how many magic books you have in your "library" because I am not coming to your house to count them, and I don't know if you read any of them and understand them all. Not everyone learns from books, and that includes magicians. A photograph of magic books on a shelf is NOT PROOF that the books belong to you and were read by you.
No, I don't want to see your "magic collection" because magic props aren't made to sit on a shelf and be looked at. Magic is a performing art, and if you don't perform with your various props, you aren't a magician but an on-looker. A photograph of magic tricks on a shelf is NOT PROOF that the tricks belong to you and were performed by you.

No, I don't want to see your "business card." You don't need a business card to be a magician. If that was all it took, everyone in the world could claim to be anything without proof.

No, I don't care if you're an amateur or a "professional". A magician is a magician; whether he makes money from it or not is between him and the IRS.

No, I do not care that you claim to be a member of a magic club and I do not have time nor energy nor the will to track down your claims of membership to see if they are true. Even the big clubs like the I.B.M. and S.A.M. will accept members that they have never verified are actual magicians. A photo of your membership card proves only that you may have a card (they are easy to counterfeit on any computer). The same applies to magicians you claim to know, or whom you may have met, or who may "vouch" for you. If you can't vouch for yourself, you are not a magician.
Do not require us to view your verification proof on social media like Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, LinkedIn, Snapchat, Google Drive ...etc. all of which require us to be members and wastes our time on viewing all kinds of irrelevant personal stuff to seek out your so-called proof.

No, I don't care where you say you have performed in the past. I have no way to verify that and although you may have proof of those claims, you did not bother to send any proof, just the claims.
Regarding still photographs, posters, videos, etc.: They are only good if they positively identify you by name as the person performing, and they show all of you, not just parts of "someone's" body performing "magic tricks."


I mean I get they want to protect our community but man I have no clue what to send. NO business cards, NO membership cards, No photos unless your name is printed on it, NO word knowledge of our craft, NO history of our craft. If I send a video how do they know it's of me and not someone else? It's crazy but like most of you I have spent several $1,000's on magic and I can't get approved to buy a $7 ebook... LOL
Be Young...Have Fun!
docguitarman
View Profile
Special user
Thousand Oaks, California
645 Posts

Profile of docguitarman
I never had a problem ordering. I don't recall proving I was a bona-fide magician. They may have known me from the Café though.

Regards,
Phil

P.S. edit.
I recall just sending the 3 rules of a magician in an email to someone. It may have been the nook?
The Magic Ref
View Profile
Loyal user
Flint, Mi.
289 Posts

Profile of The Magic Ref
I just ordered and got that email I posted on here. I sent my promo pic anyway because I have nothing else to prove I'm me.. LOL They refunded back my pay pal and said sorry I can't buy anything.
Be Young...Have Fun!
docguitarman
View Profile
Special user
Thousand Oaks, California
645 Posts

Profile of docguitarman
Quote:
On Dec 5, 2020, The Magic Ref wrote:
I just ordered and got that email I posted on here. I sent my promo pic anyway because I have nothing else to prove I'm me.. LOL They refunded back my pay pal and said sorry I can't buy anything.


I tried to see in old emails how I was "verified" . No idea. If you look at the website version of the "verification" topic, the word "SHOW" in "SHOW me who you are..." is a link to photos -- that would seem to indicate a "provable" photo works.

In my case it may have been due to conversations on the Café with Jim Gerrish ahead of my first order.

Regards.
The Magic Ref
View Profile
Loyal user
Flint, Mi.
289 Posts

Profile of The Magic Ref
I'm good, I'll keep my $7 I really didn't need to know how to make this dollar store item into something else anyway.
Be Young...Have Fun!
Drylid
View Profile
New user
San Antonio, TX
95 Posts

Profile of Drylid
I am sorry to hear about any health issues Jim/Spellbinder are having. I got the same message that the magic ref got and did the same thing, even had an argument with Jim. But that doesn't mean that I wish illness on anyone. I hope that things are going well or at the very least, as well as can be. Stay comfortable and even though I didn't get them, thanks for contributing to the magic community as a whole.
docguitarman
View Profile
Special user
Thousand Oaks, California
645 Posts

Profile of docguitarman
Quote:
On Jan 23, 2021, Drylid wrote:
I am sorry to hear about any health issues Jim/Spellbinder are having. I got the same message that the magic ref got and did the same thing, even had an argument with Jim. But that doesn't mean that I wish illness on anyone. I hope that things are going well or at the very least, as well as can be. Stay comfortable and even though I didn't get them, thanks for contributing to the magic community as a whole.


Hello all,

I visited the Nook today and the latest I saw is that Jim and Spellbinder both had been bed ridden due to covid. I hope they are recovering.

Someone mentioned that the subtitle of the Nook is "'Do-It-Yourself' Magic for 'Built-It-Myself' Magicians"

So I suppose, as for being verified in my case, I had posted in the Café workshop forum photos of my projects, and also discussions of other of my DIY magic apparatus (Egyptian water box made from cigar boxes, card change box made from wooden wallet box, and Chinese egg bag). I believe that those threads were enough to verify I was a "Build it myself" magician. Jim had interacted with my projects here on the Café.

Phil
Drylid
View Profile
New user
San Antonio, TX
95 Posts

Profile of Drylid
Quote:
On Feb 18, 2021, docguitarman wrote:
Quote:
On Jan 23, 2021, Drylid wrote:
I am sorry to hear about any health issues Jim/Spellbinder are having. I got the same message that the magic ref got and did the same thing, even had an argument with Jim. But that doesn't mean that I wish illness on anyone. I hope that things are going well or at the very least, as well as can be. Stay comfortable and even though I didn't get them, thanks for contributing to the magic community as a whole.


Hello all,

I visited the Nook today and the latest I saw is that Jim and Spellbinder both had been bed ridden due to covid. I hope they are recovering.

Someone mentioned that the subtitle of the Nook is "'Do-It-Yourself' Magic for 'Built-It-Myself' Magicians"

So I suppose, as for being verified in my case, I had posted in the Café workshop forum photos of my projects, and also discussions of other of my DIY magic apparatus (Egyptian water box made from cigar boxes, card change box made from wooden wallet box, and Chinese egg bag). I believe that those threads were enough to verify I was a "Build it myself" magician. Jim had interacted with my projects here on the Café.

Phil
No, it is more so along the lines of they expect every magician to have headshots and videos of performances or a website. I don't have those things since I only perform a few times a year since my full time job is not magic. and I'm not a fan of 70s magician glamour shots with my name on them. people know I'm a magician because I tell them I am. which is not good enough for them. I am very sorry to hear that they contracted Covid as I would not wish that on anyone, but the philosophy they have is some of the most dated stuff I've seen. I was able to get all of the information I needed via Lybrary's extensive archive of pdfs. I was accused of being a thief and wanting to buy their secrets for 5$ only to turn around and pirate them. Its paranoia on the highest level that I have ever seen.
docguitarman
View Profile
Special user
Thousand Oaks, California
645 Posts

Profile of docguitarman
Well then things have changed. As I didn't supply a head shot (other than my Café avatar) nor videos nor a web site. I just contributed publicly to DIY magic.
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3225 Posts

Profile of gaddy
As some old nobody once said... "Everything before the but is BS."

Just a thought, but maybe a post announcing someone's ill health isn't the best time to air one's own personal grievances.
*due to The Magic Cafe's editorial policies, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
Drylid
View Profile
New user
San Antonio, TX
95 Posts

Profile of Drylid
Quote:
On Feb 19, 2021, gaddy wrote:
As some old nobody once said... "Everything before the but is BS."

Just a thought, but maybe a post announcing someone's ill health isn't the best time to air one's own personal grievances.


Thanks for the input. BUT Freedom of speech just like freedom to turn away customers. Also, being the attention to detail specialist you appear to be, upon closer inspection, I say I don't wish illness upon anyone after the but. Your argument is invalid based off of simple structure.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Did you hear the latest? » » Magic Nook Closing (3 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL