The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » Man-Eating Plant (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Magicduck
View Profile
Elite user
Washington State
484 Posts

Profile of Magicduck
One of the best comedy routines I have ever made, and I build most of my own magic, is from a book by Wally Reid: Magic on Stage. It is a man-eating plant. Basically it is a case, with drop-down sides, that houses a plant made up of assorted silk plant "greenery" but the buds on the plant are seven pairs of chattering teeth. After a huge build up about having imported this plant, the box is opened and the cloth cover pulled off---at that moment the teeth chatter so strongly that the box actually moves a bit on the floor. Very funny.
Steve Brooks
View Profile
Founder / Manager
Northern California - United States
4729 Posts

Profile of Steve Brooks
Now that sounds like my kind of plant! Smile Smile Smile
"Always be you because nobody else can" - Steve Brooks
Magicman0323
View Profile
Special user
Just outside parts unknown.
713 Posts

Profile of Magicman0323
Why am I reminded of "Little Shop Of Horrors" ? Smile Smile Smile Smile
You'll wonder when I'm coming, you'll wonder even more when I'm gone. - Max Malini
Magicduck
View Profile
Elite user
Washington State
484 Posts

Profile of Magicduck
Little Shop of Horrors. Exactly! I thought the same thing when I made this up. In fact the "feed Me" sound effects and music would be pretty funny tied in with this by a creative magician and sound man, after getting rights to use the sound of course.

Instead, I talk "seriously" about how difficult it was to locate this plant and get it across the border into the US. I also read a phony letter from a person, one of the few living and left, from the excursion that went in and got the plant. The letter is pretty dramatic, silly and all hogwash of course explaining the dangers and the awe of finding a forest of these plants.

Then I talk about the plants hypnotic quality, like the Venus Flytrap to a fly. so people are told to hold hands, and if anyone seems to, in a zombie like daze, start wandering towards the stage.. please hold them back... etc, etc.

Then with great excitement and hype, I open the box which is, seriously, kept under lock and key. I drop the side doors, then do a bit more buildup and rip off the cover. It then starts chattering, shaking and walking. They just roar. Yet if it were not handled as a deadly serious issue going in, I think it would be less effective. They like the great drama followed by the silly plant.

quack
Magicman0323
View Profile
Special user
Just outside parts unknown.
713 Posts

Profile of Magicman0323
Awesome idea, I love it!!!

Smile
You'll wonder when I'm coming, you'll wonder even more when I'm gone. - Max Malini
Fredrick
View Profile
Loyal user
Seattle
247 Posts

Profile of Fredrick
Magicduck

Thanks for the post! Years ago, I saw a man-eating plant and had totally forgotten about it. What a great bit of business!
"Try to find the humanity in the magic and maybe you'll come up with something of your own. It's the humanity that gets you there, not techniques." Michael Moschen on Creativity
Geoff Williams
View Profile
Special user
St. Pete Beach, FL
617 Posts

Profile of Geoff Williams
My take on this:

"Do you want to see a picture of a man-eating plant?"

Then I show them a photo of some guy eating a salad.

Ha!
"Saját légpárnás tele van angolnák."

(Hungarian for "My hovercraft is full of eels")
Tricky
View Profile
Regular user
108 Posts

Profile of Tricky
That reminds me of a school assembly when I was little. One teacher was saying about when GM crops first came around and they made these man eating tomatoes. He told a big long story and eventually out of a padlocked box he pulled a tomato and ate it. Dude, we were appalled!
James
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
11988 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
I will save on bandwidth and ask if anyone has a source for the Man-Eating plant.

Thanks in advance

Candini
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8663 Posts

Profile of harris
Your site gag sounds like fun..ever considered (signed) card to the teeth?

I like the man eating chicken...

Harris
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
Lyndel
View Profile
Inner circle
wrote the theme to the TV show COPS!
1623 Posts

Profile of Lyndel
I use Axtell's Man Eating Plant: http://www.axtell.com/plant.html

Well-made, and it looks awesome!

Lyndel
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
11988 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Thanks Lyndel, I had no idea Steve made it. I checked but darn: It's a puppet.
I was looking for the original with the chattering teeth.
Derek Rutt Creations
View Profile
Regular user
thailand
172 Posts

Profile of Derek Rutt Creations
Hi there
I bought one of these from Taurus Magic in England .....I don't know if Derek Lever still is making them His version was covered with a cloth with weights in it to stop the teeth until you took off the silk.
Derek
Hope this helps. Creation is life
www.derekrutt.com
Connor Scot
View Profile
New user
26 Posts

Profile of Connor Scot
I have Axtell's man eating plant and it's fantastic. Are you a ventriloquist Lyndel?

Connor
Lyndel
View Profile
Inner circle
wrote the theme to the TV show COPS!
1623 Posts

Profile of Lyndel
Quote:
On 2007-03-05 15:27, Connor Scot wrote:
I have Axtell's man eating plant and it's fantastic. Are you a ventriloquist Lyndel?

Connor

No, I just play one on stage...

Actually I have always admired vents, but have never been comfortable enough in my own vent skill to perform it live.

Until I am, I guess I'll continue to Milli Vanilli my way through my routines...
:shrug:

Lyndel
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
11988 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Thanks Derek. I probably could make one but the actual case/box would be difficult to get painted like I want.
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3717 Posts

Profile of mrunge
When I read the name of this post, it hit me. "Man eating plant!" Sounds really dangerous. I'd love to see it.

Then I thought, what if this were something along the lines of a sideshow exhibit, where one pays a dime to enter a booth and get a look?

When they walk behind the screen, what do they see?

A "man eating a plant." There is a big guy sitting at one of those cloth checker board covered tables with a big bib on eating a large salad!

Now that would be funny.

Mark. Smile
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
Here's aLink to that plant: Man-eating Plant

I do have one!
Dennis Michael
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » Man-Eating Plant (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL