The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » The most perfect sentences ever written (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
When I played soccer, I hit
1764 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
A tribute to the blissfully escapist comic novels of PG Wodehouse.

Https://www.bbc.com/culture/article/2020......-written
Arthur Stead
royalty-free music and interactive routines
www.arthurstead.com
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6918 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Great stuff Arthur, thank you.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1199 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Somebody better check on Bill Campbell and make sure he's ok. A Wodehouse thread with no comment from him in four days?!
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On Jun 11, 2020, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Somebody better check on Bill Campbell and make sure he's ok. A Wodehouse thread with no comment from him in four days?!

Clairvoyance?

Truth be told, I was in the emergency room and hospital on Thursday and Friday.

I'll be back later with a report, but I'm doing OK now.
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
When I played soccer, I hit
1764 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
Sorry to hear that, Bill ... but glad you're doing OK now. Let us know!

Arthur

"An apple a day, if well aimed, keeps the doctor away" - PG Wodehouse
Arthur Stead
royalty-free music and interactive routines
www.arthurstead.com
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
In a nutshell, all of a sudden on Thursday morning the back of my shoulders and neck began to hurt like mad, so I went to the ER. Whilst there, they gave me an anti-inflammatory and a muscle relaxant. The pain started to subside, then returned with a vengeance, worse than at home. On my way to my first CT scan, I couldn’t move either arm or my left leg. Later, I regained some movement, and had an MRI, then another CT scan (to check for pulmonary edema (PE)). All of the tests were negative. The following morning, I had an EKG. Nothing. The only thing they saw was some slight compression between the C3 and C4 vertebrae. I came home on Friday and have been steadily getting strength back in my limbs, but no definite idea what happened. We know that it wasn’t a heart attack, wasn’t a stroke, wasn’t a PE. But we have no idea what it was. I have to see a physical therapist and a neurologist. Yippee!
Animated Puppets
View Profile
Loyal user
Beyond bored...
286 Posts

Profile of Animated Puppets
Sounds like someone made a Voodoo doll of you. Got to remember to burn your hair and nail clippings...

For a nominal fee I can cast a protection spell over you Smile
*Yawn*
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
I learned of Wodehouse from the book Bid to Win, Play for Pleasure by George Rosenkranz and Phillip Alder. The last paragraph of the foreword reads:

Finally, special thanks to the late Pelham Grenville Wodehouse, who wrote all of the quotations used at the beginning of each chapter. If you have never read one of his books, please do so after you have finished this one. We are sure you will not be disappointed.

I wasn't.

Some of my favorite quotes from BtWPfP:

. . . the dullest speeches I ever heard. The Agee woman told us for three quarters of an hour how she came to write her beastly book, when a simple apology was all that was required . . . .

-----

Ambrose isn't a frightfully hot writer. I don't suppose he makes enough out of a novel to keep a midget in doughnuts for a week. Not a really healthy midget.

-----

He spoke with a certain what-is-it in his voice, and I could see that, if not actually disgruntled, he was far from being gruntled.

-----

He died of cirrhosis of the liver. It costs money to die of cirrhosis of the liver.

-----

As a child of eight, Mr. Trout had once kissed a girl of six under the mistletoe at a Christmas party, but there his sex life had come to an abrupt halt.

-----

Into the face of the young man who sat on the terrace of the Hotel Magnifique in Cannes there had crept a look of furtive shame, the shifty, hangdog look that announces that an Englishman is about to talk French.

-----

"Have you ever seen Spode eat asparagus?"

"No."

"Revolting. It alters one's whole conception of Man as Nature's last word."

-----

The Right Hon. was a tubby little chap who looked as if he had been poured into his clothes and had forgotten to say "When!"

-----

Jeeves lugged my purple socks out of the drawer as if he were a vegetarian fishing a caterpillar out of his salad.

-----

"Faute de what?"

"Mieux, m'lord. A French expression. We would say, 'For want of anything better.'"

"What asses these Frenchmen are. Why can't they talk English?"

"They are possibly more to be pitied than censured, m'lord. Early upbringing no doubt has a lot to do with it."

-----

Finally, a favorite from Jeeves and the Unbidden Guest:

Lady Malvern was a hearty, happy, healthy, overpowering sort of dashed female, not so very tall but making up for it by measuring about six feet from the O. P. to the Prompt Side. She fitted into my biggest arm-chair as if it had been built round her by someone who knew they were wearing arm-chars tight about the hips that season.
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On Jun 14, 2020, Animated Puppets wrote:
Sounds like someone made a Voodoo doll of you. Got to remember to burn your hair and nail clippings...

For a nominal fee I can cast a protection spell over you Smile

The cheque is in the mail.
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Oh, I forgot to mention that when I was on my way to the first CT scan, I very nearly stopped breathing. It was everything I could do to take breaths during the CT scan.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » The most perfect sentences ever written (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL