The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Gambling Spot » » Cross-references for Gambling Sleight of Hand, chapter 2 (11 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
luvisi
View Profile
Special user
592 Posts

Profile of luvisi
Here are my attempts at creating a list of cross-references for Gambling Sleight of Hand, chapter 2. Steve Forte has very kindly given me permission to share this online. I am sure it is far from complete, but I hope some other students and historians may find it useful.

https://luvisi.blogspot.com/2020/06/cros......ght.html

Andru
TH10111
View Profile
Regular user
143 Posts

Profile of TH10111
Looks like you've put a lot of work in to this.

Thanks for sharing Smile
Bobby Forbes
View Profile
Inner circle
virginia beach, VA.
1539 Posts

Profile of Bobby Forbes
Excellent! Thanks for putting time into this.
Scodischarge
View Profile
New user
13 Posts

Profile of Scodischarge
Wow, this is fantastic. Do you mind if I link the page at the subreddit devoted to the books (or posting it yourself, if you're there as well)?
luvisi
View Profile
Special user
592 Posts

Profile of luvisi
Quote:
On Jun 9, 2020, Scodischarge wrote:
Wow, this is fantastic. Do you mind if I link the page at the subreddit devoted to the books (or posting it yourself, if you're there as well)?

Done.

Thanks!

Andru
Mr. Bones
View Profile
Loyal user
273 Posts

Profile of Mr. Bones
Fantastic Andru ... thanks!
Mr. Bones
"Hey Rube"!
Cagliostro
View Profile
Inner circle
2478 Posts

Profile of Cagliostro
Very nice work Andru and a benefit to those members who are real students of card table manipulation such as you are.

Thanks for sharing your work on this.
luvisi
View Profile
Special user
592 Posts

Profile of luvisi
Hi all,

Here are my efforts for chapter 3.

https://luvisi.blogspot.com/2020/06/cros......_13.html

Andru
Cagliostro
View Profile
Inner circle
2478 Posts

Profile of Cagliostro
Andru,

You are quite a prodigious researcher with an exceptional knowledge gained from reading a myriad of publications, many of which are perhaps unknown to most members. Now those who have the desire can go into different ways of mastering and learning these moves and variations from perhaps a different perspective.

It was deja vu for me as at one time or another I have read and can still reference most of these publications, going way back to my "move junkie" days.

Interestingly, when I was a teen ager looking to learn the riffle stack, the only publication at that time that explained it correctly and in detail was More Card Manipulations by Hugard and Braue as mentioned in your reference. It explained both the basic riffle stack and the double duke riffle stack as I recall. It probably still is the best explanation for how to do a basic riffle stack available.

Nice work Andru.
luvisi
View Profile
Special user
592 Posts

Profile of luvisi
Hi all,

Here are my efforts for chapter 4.

https://luvisi.blogspot.com/2020/06/cros......_20.html

Andru
luvisi
View Profile
Special user
592 Posts

Profile of luvisi
Quote:
On Jun 14, 2020, Cagliostro wrote:
Andru,

You are quite a prodigious researcher with an exceptional knowledge gained from reading a myriad of publications, many of which are perhaps unknown to most members. Now those who have the desire can go into different ways of mastering and learning these moves and variations from perhaps a different perspective.

It was deja vu for me as at one time or another I have read and can still reference most of these publications, going way back to my "move junkie" days.

Interestingly, when I was a teen ager looking to learn the riffle stack, the only publication at that time that explained it correctly and in detail was More Card Manipulations by Hugard and Braue as mentioned in your reference. It explained both the basic riffle stack and the double duke riffle stack as I recall. It probably still is the best explanation for how to do a basic riffle stack available.

Nice work Andru.

Thank you for your kind words. I'm glad you are finding my efforts useful!

Andru
luvisi
View Profile
Special user
592 Posts

Profile of luvisi
Hi all,

Here are my efforts for chapter 5.

https://luvisi.blogspot.com/2020/06/cros......_27.html

Andru
luvisi
View Profile
Special user
592 Posts

Profile of luvisi
Hi all,

Here are my efforts for chapter 6.

https://luvisi.blogspot.com/2020/07/cros......ght.html

Andru
Cagliostro
View Profile
Inner circle
2478 Posts

Profile of Cagliostro
@Andru: it is time for you to write your own book. Maybe you can give Forte a run for his money so to speak. Smile
luvisi
View Profile
Special user
592 Posts

Profile of luvisi
I appreciate the compliment, but I am aware that no amount of reading can place me in the same class as someone who has spent 40 years studying and researching the reality in person.

Andru
Paul H
View Profile
Inner circle
UK South Coast
1133 Posts

Profile of Paul H
Hi Andru,
Regardless of the above I think you are doing a fantastic job creating this resource for us. And I for one am enormously grateful to you,
Best wishes,
Paul H
JasonEngland
View Profile
V.I.P.
Las Vegas, NV
1688 Posts

Profile of JasonEngland
Andru,

I haven't given your lists a close look, but I wanted to call your attention to "The Secret of Reading Cards While Dealing." Published in 1921, it's a small monograph dealing (no pun intended) entirely with the heel peek.

Predates "The Phantom" by a decade.

Jason
Eternal damnation awaits anyone who questions God's unconditional love. --Bill Hicks
Cagliostro
View Profile
Inner circle
2478 Posts

Profile of Cagliostro
Quote:
On Jul 22, 2020, JasonEngland wrote:
Andru,
I haven't given your lists a close look, but I wanted to call your attention to "The Secret of Reading Cards While Dealing." Published in 1921, it's a small monograph dealing (no pun intended) entirely with the heel peek.
Jason

Have not seen this manuscript. The only method I have read about for peeking cards while dealing using the heel peek was in MacDougall's Card Mastery I believe. As I recall he describes peeking at each card before dealing it and dealing a #2 when appropriate. One had to be standing to effectuate the method.

While it perhaps can be deceptive to occasionally peek during the deal, trying to peek each card was not an effective or practical method based upon my initial toying with the method. But...might be good for a "gambling" demo.
JasonEngland
View Profile
V.I.P.
Las Vegas, NV
1688 Posts

Profile of JasonEngland
Cag,

The Secret of Reading Cards WHile Dealing is extremely rare. I bought the only one known to exist at auction a few years ago. I say "known" because I immediately called 4 or 5 of the biggest gambling book collectors in the world. Not only did none of them have a copy, but none of them had ever heard of it (apart from the auction). As far as I can tell, I have the only one. A "WorldCat" search of libraries all over the world failed to turn up a single copy and Google lists no other known copies other than the one that was auctioned.

Jason
Eternal damnation awaits anyone who questions God's unconditional love. --Bill Hicks
chappy
View Profile
Special user
751 Posts

Profile of chappy
FARO FUNDAMENTALS, DETAILS OF DECEPTION and THE DEVIL'S STAIRCASE at www.thedevilsstaircase.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Gambling Spot » » Cross-references for Gambling Sleight of Hand, chapter 2 (11 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL