The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » Black and White (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

iugefu
View Profile
Veteran user
387 Posts

Profile of iugefu
This is a variation on Max Maven's packet effect: Lemonstration

If you do not know it, great effect! Sorry, if you do not.

I use 2 sets of cards;

The first packet shows a 'totally black' card - and the letters on the cards spell out B L A C K
The second packet reveals a 'totally white- blank) card - and the letters on the cards spell out W H I T E

Swop the 'black' and 'white' cards around - presto - and they jump back into position - if you know the effect it will make sense!

Theme: black (darkness/evil) and light (goodness and God's light, which is always restored )
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9988 Posts

Profile of funsway
I offer some thoughts not meant in any way to suggest this would not be an effective presentation for most audiences today.

I like the simplicity and attention=getting qualities.

The issue is representing truth versus popular imagery - always a problem in educational and religious settings.

The use of Black as evil and White as good is a fairly modern invention (15th century) and certainly not Biblical.

Before that Black color was often a divine representation since it is a combination of all colors, where white is the absence of color.

Yes, white was used to represent purity, but in contrast to any die, with dark colors reserved to the wealthy as they took a lot of expensive die in the cloth.
Thus, Black represent mans' obsession with earthly objects: greed, coveting, lust, etc - and calling those sins "ungodly" might be OK - but "evil" may be too strong.

The shift to Black being "bad" came from the Crusading Orders shifting to piracy, Templars founding the Masonic Order and later Hollywood mangling history to its own ends.

Several monastic orders at that time changed their garb to avoid being associated with the Masons, not that Black was bad/evil in itself.
Only the Knights of Saint John came to represent "good" as the red cross on white was adopted by Hospitals and the Swiss.

Probably Ok to say, 'White is the representation of total purity and absence of sin, and black is life without purity and enlightenment."
But to say that Black represents evil is not correct representation. In fact, a man filled with sin is a cause for celebration as he can be led to purity and salvation.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
Russo
View Profile
Inner circle
So.California / Centl.Florida / retired Florida
1167 Posts

Profile of Russo
WOW - and Red can be used as the Blood of Christ, like using the 'color book' effect. where you show pages of SIN - wipe the book with a Red hank- all the pages are WHITE
iugefu
View Profile
Veteran user
387 Posts

Profile of iugefu
Funsway - I can happily agree with your comments re evil vs good.

Perhaps light and darkness more appropiate?
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9988 Posts

Profile of funsway
I just read an effect where the concept of "spiritual weight" was used - black hold more weight of memories than the white.

Whether or not the memories carried lead to positive things or negative might be relative to spiritual awareness.

or, when a man harbors dark thoughts, his soul is heavy. Put some of this weight on Christ's willing shoulders.

There are no "good" or "bad" memories - only those that you allow to drag you down and interfere with joy.

or something ...
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
Quote:
On Jun 12, 2020, funsway wrote:
I offer some thoughts not meant in any way to suggest this would not be an effective presentation for most audiences today.

I like the simplicity and attention=getting qualities.

The issue is representing truth versus popular imagery - always a problem in educational and religious settings.

The use of Black as evil and White as good is a fairly modern invention (15th century) and certainly not Biblical.

Before that Black color was often a divine representation since it is a combination of all colors, where white is the absence of color.

Yes, white was used to represent purity, but in contrast to any die, with dark colors reserved to the wealthy as they took a lot of expensive die in the cloth.
Thus, Black represent mans' obsession with earthly objects: greed, coveting, lust, etc - and calling those sins "ungodly" might be OK - but "evil" may be too strong.

The shift to Black being "bad" came from the Crusading Orders shifting to piracy, Templars founding the Masonic Order and later Hollywood mangling history to its own ends.

Several monastic orders at that time changed their garb to avoid being associated with the Masons, not that Black was bad/evil in itself.
Only the Knights of Saint John came to represent "good" as the red cross on white was adopted by Hospitals and the Swiss.

Probably Ok to say, 'White is the representation of total purity and absence of sin, and black is life without purity and enlightenment."
But to say that Black represents evil is not correct representation. In fact, a man filled with sin is a cause for celebration as he can be led to purity and salvation.

Interesting, I didn't know all that. Years ago someone alluded to the problem of using "black" in the old "Wordless Book".

Yet, "darkness" which we visually perceive as black, is caused by the absence of light (so, in some sense, that fits the stereotype)
And some passages use "black", or "dark" as symbolic of "not good": Mt 8:12; 2Pt 2:17, Jude 1:13..

Have these translations in the Bible been influenced by the same "modern" view point?
Something to give careful thought to, especially given or current situation.

John
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » Black and White (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL