The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Ultimate Interchange by Darwin Ortiz (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Prahlad
View Profile
New user
96 Posts

Profile of Prahlad
Hello everyone,

After recently reading through the explanation of this effect in Darwin Ortiz at the Card Table, I was surprised that Mr. Ortiz used it as a closer. I do think that it is a beautiful, visual effect. However, I would question how strongly it plays with an audience; isn't it obvious what the basic method must be for an audience? Or am I overthinking this as people have for the Unholy Three?
Medifro
View Profile
Inner circle
Miami
1261 Posts

Profile of Medifro
It's an extremely powerful effect however for magicians it dies flat because its technically uninspiring. There are several reasons I think it feels different for laymen: There is very high conviction on the initial conditions: 4 odd kings clearly in the deck. This allows the transformations to feel very powerful to laymen. This is added by the fact that the changes happen to cards that have odd backs from the packet. I believe for laymen this is incredibly strong. Look at it this way as a magician: Its easier to cover a move (such as a top palm or top change) when the cards look all the same, however, imagine performing sleight of hand with a card that is different from the rest: You have to see something. Here you change 4 aces with odd backs very cleanly with nothing to see. For laymen this is quite impossible. I actually I highlight this in my presentational theme.

The ending makes sense because you won't be able to change the aces to kings unless you know where they are, which you do, because you will now cut to them. This is my subtext for the ending and it works great.

One of my favorite Ortiz routines.
Prahlad
View Profile
New user
96 Posts

Profile of Prahlad
Thanks. I've asked some people I know about this as well and I'm convinced of how good it is.
ASW
View Profile
Inner circle
1879 Posts

Profile of ASW
How have people overthought the Unholy Three? That effect plays beautifully for a lay audience.
Whenever I find myself gripping anything too tightly I just ask myself "How would Guy Hollingworth hold this?"

A magician on the Genii Forum

"I would respect VIPs if they respect history."

Hideo Kato
Prahlad
View Profile
New user
96 Posts

Profile of Prahlad
Quote:
On Jun 16, 2020, ASW wrote:
How have people overthought the Unholy Three? That effect plays beautifully for a lay audience.

People have thought that it would be obvious to a lay audience that the magician had been cutting to the signed selections once their backs were revealed in the end, thus making it obvious what happened during the first half.
ASW
View Profile
Inner circle
1879 Posts

Profile of ASW
“People” are morons.
Whenever I find myself gripping anything too tightly I just ask myself "How would Guy Hollingworth hold this?"

A magician on the Genii Forum

"I would respect VIPs if they respect history."

Hideo Kato
Prahlad
View Profile
New user
96 Posts

Profile of Prahlad
I've recently come up with a variation which has a different structure which addresses the concern I brought up earlier. Here's a video of it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmdSgF4uDks

There are some tradeoffs between my variation and Mr. Ortiz's original which will become apparent to anyone who's familiar with the trick.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Ultimate Interchange by Darwin Ortiz (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL