The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » What's this little string/bead routine called, please? (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

deadcatbounce
View Profile
Special user
the Wilds of Ireland
831 Posts

Profile of deadcatbounce
Couple of years back, at Blackpool, I was shown a quick little stunt with a pair of beads on a string. (the guy gave me his setup) I can't recall how it works! Basically, the string is held between the fingers,at the beads, with the hands about 10/12 inches apart (length of the string). Now (I think), when the hands are separated, both beads are at one end of the string. Does this ring any bells? I'm looking for the name, and details of the "move".

Thanks in advance

DCB
"With every mistake - we must surely be learning..." George Harrison.
mindmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
London
1482 Posts

Profile of mindmagic
It's in Nick Einhorn's book The Art of Magic (aka Practical Encyclopedia of Magic) under the title String Through Arm. I'm sure it must be in older books too but I don't remember seeing it anywhere.

Barry
Jay
View Profile
Veteran user
Northern New Jersey
400 Posts

Profile of Jay
I originally learned it from Jeff McBride. He called it Ritual of Liberation. Here is one lead for it: https://www.magicalwisdom.com/shop/l/str......your-own

Jay
pabloinus
View Profile
Inner circle
1593 Posts

Profile of pabloinus
It is in at the table with Marcelo Insua, you get that little trick and more dor a very low price
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2742 Posts

Profile of John Long
This sounds like a re-purposing of a loop of string that can be made to penetrate through any object.
In Bruce Elliot's The Best in Magic p6, he loops some paper clips through the end-loops of the string to make this work (as a penetration)

Seems like you get the beads to end on the same end (IF, you are using a loop of string)

John
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3393 Posts

Profile of Julie
Bill Dunbaugh, Past International President of the Society of American Magicians, printed an instructional article describing
this effect with illustrations of the handling in the July 1978 issue of M.U.M.

Someone had shown it to Bill, but that magician did not recall where he'd learned it. Bill felt it was "too good to be lost", hence his contributing it to the magazine.

Julie
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2742 Posts

Profile of John Long
My earlier response was not accurate; the quote below by mindmagic is. See p156 of the Einhorn reference.

Quote:
On Jun 13, 2020, mindmagic wrote:
It's in Nick Einhorn's book The Art of Magic (aka Practical Encyclopedia of Magic) under the title String Through Arm. I'm sure it must be in older books too but I don't remember seeing it anywhere.

Barry

There is also an essentially same method that uses No loops of string and NO beads. See "Ribbonifty p338 of The Ency of Rope Tricks. It shows a method with a piece of rope (string would work, but you might get some "rope burn" if you use string (you need to look at the method)

John
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
mindmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
London
1482 Posts

Profile of mindmagic
Quote:
On Sep 27, 2020, John Long wrote:
My earlier response was not accurate; the quote below by mindmagic is. See p156 of the Einhorn reference.

Quote:
On Jun 13, 2020, mindmagic wrote:

Barry

There is also an essentially same method that uses No loops of string and NO beads. See "Ribbonifty p338 of The Ency of Rope Tricks. It shows a method with a piece of rope (string would work, but you might get some "rope burn" if you use string (you need to look at the method)

John

Thanks, I missed that one. I'll give it a try. There must be many other good effects that I've missed in that book - time for another dip.
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2742 Posts

Profile of John Long
"Thanks, I missed that one. "

Well, until I did some checking, I forgot about RobonNifty, and didn't immediately associate it with the loop of string through neck.

Further, I have many sources that of old books that I haven't incorporated into my "index" of tricks, effects, methods..
There a few other things that take precedence Smile

John
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » What's this little string/bead routine called, please? (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL