The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Reviews of "Rubinstein Coin Magic" by Dr. Michael Rubinstein (11 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
I honestly believe this book will set a new bar in the realm of "Books about Coin Magic". I have also put my review on sites I often buy my magic books from like Penguin and Vanishing Inc, so you may have read this already. I will add other thoughts in the thread as they come along but I ENCOURAGE others to add their thoughts to the thread. Enjoy. Smile

I am going to start out with stating the fact that "Modern Coin Magic / The New Modern Coin Magic" by J.J. Bobo have recently been "called out" or "de-throned" as the "Bible" of coin magic. This has come up more often in the last year or two by many (Most notably Curtis Kam on his Reel Magic Series and Rick Holcombe on his YouTube channel). This is not to say that Bobo's Book does not contain very powerful effects and sleights, just that there are now some better out there and it contains outdated material.

It does not leave a lot out there as far as "large" coin magic books like "Expert Coin Magic" and "Coin Magic" by Richard Kaufman. There are some very good / great underground to notable smaller books also and recently we got a decent sized book about the coin magic of Geoff Latta that has been well received.

Now enter Dr. Michael Rubinstein's enormous tome - "Rubinstein Coin Magic". I was one of the lucky few to have pre-ordered directly from Michael before it was even in his hands from the printers and even luckier to get mine he Friday of Memorial Day Weekend (before he was asked, or told, not to ship any more until the official release date) so I have been able to read it in it's entirety and re-read parts of special interest to me.

I will say, along with many of the more seasoned and well read contributors, who had early paper edit copies, that this book is certainly a contender for the title. It will most likely be the new "must have" for anyone serious about coin magic. The book is huge, well written, easy to understand as well as follow along and the photos are incredibly well taken from the proper angles. The work that went into producing this book must have been mind numbing (which is ok because we will enter the "Twilight Zone" as well as alternate realities of it. That means a few different methods for those not familiar with his famed effect he performed on "Penn and Teller's Fool Us". One of the versions is brand new and never seen print before (hint, it is one of my favorites in the book).

Along with routines, he teaches many of his sleights from the years of working with them and I was pleasantly surprised that the first to be taught is "R.O.P.S." and I have not quite been doing it right for a long time. I am working on fixing that with a good bit of success using his step by step teaching in the book rather than following my old dvd too quickly and missing some important elements of the move.

If you have ever seen him perform, you will surely know that he doesn't let a good (or bad) pun go to waste. It is his character. Not the one he plays, it is too genuine to not be a real endearing part of him. Luckily, He has devoted a chapter to his favorite puns which you can read to use, read to enjoy or skip it entirely (without any of it accidentally "shtick-ing" to you).

If you are serious about wanting to do great coin magic based on his works and the many other great coin magicians who added contributions, this really is a "must have". It covers a lifetime of work from one of the first coin guys to put out a VHS series back in the day and being a force behind the scenes of the 16 vol "New York Coin Magic Seminar" DVD series.

I will leave you with this... Buy the book, it is already almost sold out and awaiting a second printing. For more in-depth reviews, check the Magic Café and similar forums as I am sure they will be popping up as others make their way thru the book. Give them time, it is a big one, but you will not go wrong getting this book.
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5473 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
Its in second printing now and will be available at Reel Magic soon....
I just haven't put it on the site because its not available
Michael Rubinstein
View Profile
V.I.P.
4674 Posts

Profile of Michael Rubinstein
Thank you Poof-daddy! Looking forward to hearing from others who got the book!
S.E.M. (The Sun, the Moon, and the Earth) is a sun and moon routine unlike any other. Limited to 100 sets, here is the promo:
https://youtu.be/aFuAWCNEuOI?si=ZdDUNV8lUPWvtOcL
$325 ppd USA (Shipping extra outside of USA). If interested, shoot me an email for ordering information at rubinsteindvm@aol.com
Michael Rubinstein
View Profile
V.I.P.
4674 Posts

S.E.M. (The Sun, the Moon, and the Earth) is a sun and moon routine unlike any other. Limited to 100 sets, here is the promo:
$325 ppd USA (Shipping extra outside of USA). If interested, shoot me an email for ordering information at rubinsteindvm@aol.com
Michael Rubinstein
View Profile
V.I.P.
4674 Posts

Michael Rubinstein
View Profile
V.I.P.
4674 Posts

Here is a reminder of what is in the book:
https://youtu.be/QepKJY1qxHs
Michael Rubinstein
View Profile
V.I.P.
4674 Posts

They're BA-ACK!! All ordered books going out in the next few days. I still have some left for signing, so if interested, shoot me an email at rubinsteindvm@aol.com
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
I'm gonna say this one time and one time only. Buy direct from Michael while he still has some. His numbers are limited and you can request a signed copy (specify your name if you are using paypal in a different family members name to avoid confusion) and you also receive a nice special gift when buying direct. Do not miss out. This book is literally going to be a top 3 recommended coin book for many years to come (and very well may surpass "New Modern Coin Magic" by J.J. Bobo. It is that good (not just my opinion).
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
bassinator
View Profile
New user
Louisiana
86 Posts

Profile of bassinator
I agree with Poof-Daddy. No matter what your skill level, you will want to have this in your library if you study coin magic. I'm new to magic but this book will give me so much to work on and I doubt I'll ever master it all.
Michael Rubinstein
View Profile
V.I.P.
4674 Posts

Some of the guys talking about Rubinstein Coin Magic. Available at your favorite magic dealer, AND I STILL have a few that I can sign (and they come with an exclusive free gift!!). After these, I probably won't be getting any more to sign, so last chance before these babies are GONE!! You can write for ordering information to rubinsteindvm@aol.com

https://youtu.be/QFjkXQg6j-k

https://youtu.be/oztVCHSINrs
Michael Rubinstein
View Profile
V.I.P.
4674 Posts

New review just in:

https://youtu.be/AyNGVs1qj3s
Michael Rubinstein
View Profile
V.I.P.
4674 Posts

Good review by Francis Menotti in the August issue of Genii magazine. The reprint is selling out fast, and I no longer have any copies left. Be sure to get one (might still be at your favorite magic dealer) before the reprint is all sold out!
Michael Rubinstein
View Profile
V.I.P.
4674 Posts

Got a couple nice emails:
From W.L -
"Hi Mike, the book made it in on Friday but I haven’t been able to put it down. Thank you for the penguin dvd! Having lots of fun with the ROPS move. Another great book from a master of the art." 

From W.A. -
"Hi Dr. Rubinstein,
The book is a marvel!  A wonder!  The content is beyond excellent, and the appearance and production are first rate.
THANK YOU!"

Since copies are dwindimg at the distributor, I managed to snare two more copes that are available for signing. All come with a special FREE GIFT! For ordering information, shoot me an email at rubinsteindvm@aol.com
Michael Rubinstein
View Profile
V.I.P.
4674 Posts

Video review from Craig Petty and his son Ryland:
https://youtu.be/vzm3VsuNFMw
Michael Rubinstein
View Profile
V.I.P.
4674 Posts

Thanks to the over 1100 magicians who have taken the plunge and bought Rubinstein Coin Magic! Supplies of the reprint are dwindling, so be sure to pick one up before they sell out again! I love it when people are having fun with the material in the book. Here is an example...
https://youtu.be/tYuY8BfDzd0
Michael Rubinstein
View Profile
V.I.P.
4674 Posts

Hi, found this great review by Richard Stone on the Propdog site:

01/09/2020

What a FANTASTIC book! If I only get one thing I can use from a book, I am happy. But I can't believe how much great stuff there is inside Rubinstein Coin Magic! Moves I immediately learned to improve what I was doing (the Put Back Move is ingenious!), and many new Spellbound moves, click passes, changeover palms, and his famous R.O.P.S. move (still working on that one!). There are so many great routines as well, that you can carry around for walk around or a formal show. I now carry with me everywhere and do Magnetic Coins and Ungimmicked Copper Silver Brass (and you can use the same coins to do a bunch or other stuff as well!). And not only is the the patter and explanation for his Penn and Teller Wild Coin in the book, but several variations including an impromptu one that you can just do anywhere! Can't say enough good things about this book. Thank you Dr. Rubinstein for sharing this gift with the magic fraternity
Michael Rubinstein
View Profile
V.I.P.
4674 Posts

Here is another review from the Penguin site:
Andy Y from PA on August 26th, 2020

Rubinstein Coin Magic will become a classic. There is no doubt on that from me. You will want to read through it a second or third time. It rivals other coin magic books that I keep in high regard. It goes toe to toe with David Roth's Coin Magic and Al Schneider Magic. It not only has amazing effects in it, it reads easy. It is like reading a Harry Lorayne book.It also doesn't explain what the effect is at the beginning of the effect you must read through to understand. You will also find a range of effects ranging from beginner to advanced. Some use some unusual gaffs, but you should still be able to get them with some looking around. It has a great range of effects with some effects having multiple ways to accomplish the effect. There is a also a killer friends section.

On yeah there is a whole section on puns (first thing I read).

This is easily a 5 star book.

The Contents are:
TABLE OF CONTENTS
FOREWORD by Bill Wells
INTRODUCTION PART ONE – SLEIGHTS, MOVES, AND TECHNIQUES CHAPTER ONE - R.O.P.S. TECHNIQUE
1. R.O.P.S. Move
2. R.O.P.S. New Theory Retention Pass
3. R.O.P.S. Click Pass
4. R.O.P.S. Double Click Pass

CHAPTER TWO - VANISHES, SHUTTLE PASSES, LOADS, AND CHANGEOVER PALMS
1. Variation Retention Pass
2. The Bronx Take
3. Miracle One Hand Coin Vanish
4. Roll-Down Retention Pass
5. Fingertip Shuttle Pass
6. Fingertip Shuttle-Pass Display
7. Palm-Down Fingertip Shuttle Pass
8. Fingertip Load
9. Tap Load
10. Spellbound Changeover Palm
11. Spellbound Changeover-Palm Variation and Display
12. Nowhere Palm Changeover Palm
13. Rubinstein Put-back Move

CHAPTER THREE - CLICK PASSES Introduction
1. Rubinstein Click Pass
2. Air Drop Click Pass
3. Turnover Double Click Pass
4. Snap Down Double Click Pass
5.Nowhere Palm Click Pass
6. Nowhere Palm Double Click Pass
7. Fan Double Click Pass
8. Reverse Double Click Pass

CHAPTER FOUR – SPELLBOUND MOVES
1. Impromptu Touch Change
2. The Wave Change
3. The Rubinstein Steal Back
4. Flip-Over Change
5. The Soft change
6. The Strike Change
7. The Rub Change
8. Spellbound 9333
9. The Blow Change
10. The Cartwheel Change
11. Spellbound Times Three
12. Triple E.G. Spell

CHAPTER FIVE - FALSE COUNTS AND USEFUL MOVES
1. The PH (Pseudo Himber) Count
2. The Fidget Count
3. The R.O.P.S Discrepancy Count
4. The Combination Count
5. The Click Steal Back
6. The Clip Steal Back
7. Purse-Palm Subtlety
8. Fingertip Utility Switch
9. Angle-Finger Palm Switch
10. Multi-Coin Angle-Palm Switch
11. The Slide Move
12. Crossed Arms Subtlety
13. The Rubinstein Subtlety

CHAPTER SIX - STEALTH PALM CHAPTER SEVEN – ADDITIONAL TECHNIQUES
1. Matting
2. Pocket Management

PART TWO – ROUTINES CHAPTER EIGHT – COPPER-SILVER
1. The Purse and Glass
2. Magical Change Purse (Purse, No Glass)
3. The Substitution Trunk Mystery
4. Stand Up Sucker Copper-Silver Routine
5. Copper or Silver Extraction
6. Copper Penetration
7. Handy Copper-Silver Transposition
8. Cup of Copper Silver
9. Stealth Copper-Silver Transposition
10. Ungimmicked Copper-Silver-Brass
11. Oil and Water
12. Matchbox Treasury Redux

CHAPTER NINE – WILD COIN
1. Twilight Zone Wild Coin Introduction
2. Twilight Zone Wild Coin Show Version
3. Twilight Zone Wild Coin Impromptu Version
4. Twilight Zone Wild Coin Cup Version
5. Twilight Zone Wild Coin Purse Version
6. Twilight Zone Wild Coin Original Handling
7. Twilight Zone Wild Coin Multi Gold Version
8. Sliding Wild Coin

CHAPTER TEN – SPELLBOUND ROUTINES
1. Thoughts on Spellbound
2. Ultimate Silver Lint
3. The Chocolate Coin
4. Imagine a Coin
5. Four-Way Spellbound
6. Shattered Spellbound
7. Chinese Explosion

CHAPTER ELEVEN - COINS THROUGH THE TABLE
1. Rubinstein Coins Through the Table
2. Standup Coins Through the Table
3. CSB Coins Through the Table
4. Giant Four Coins through the Table

CHAPTER TWELVE - COINS ACROSS
1. Tallahassee Jumping Coins
2. Impossible Four Coin Trick I
3. Impossible Four Coin Trick 2
4. Long Term Short Term
5. Retro Fly
6. The Specciolini Brothers
7. Shell CSB Coins Across

CHAPTER THIRTEEN - COIN PRODUCTIONS AND VANISHES
1.Triple Play
2. Magical Money Rap
3. The Wishing Well
4. Vegas Math
5. Fuzzy Math
6. Bologna Debut
7. Stealth Hanging Coins
8. Stealth Showcase
9. Deja vu Coin Vanish
10. Tri-Coin
11. Flash Vanish

CHAPTER FOURTEEN - COINS AND CARDS
1. Voodoo Revelation
2. Voodoo Revelation SOH Version
3. Two Coin Monte (Two Card Reverse Matrix)
4. Quadra Coin Reverse Matrix
5. Ultra Reverse Matrix
6. The Mentalist
7. Triple Coin to Card
8. Case Solved

CHAPTER FIFTEEN - GAFFED COINS
1. Silver Extraction
2. The Double-Faced Coin Routine
3. The Bent Coin Routine
4. Magnetic Coins
5. Thumb Through Coin
6. Signed Bill Through Coin
7. Smileys 8. Smileys Jr.
9. Fusion
10. Three Quarters of a Trick
11. Key Fobulous
12. Goodbye, Hello, Now Change

CHAPTER SIXTEEN - MISCELLANEOUS
1. The Purse Routine
2. The Blank Coin Routine
3. The Mystery of the Chinese Coin
4. The Black Hole
5. Mint Condition
6. Next of Boxes
7. Coin in Coin Roll
8. Coins to Glass
9. Polarized Plastic
10. Time for Change
11. The Counterfeit Coin
12. Nest of Envelopes
13. Nest of Envelopes Method Two
14. The Sympathy Card

CHAPTER SEVENTEEN – COINS AND POKER CHIPS
1. May the Force Be with You
2. Poker Chip Spellbound
3. 3-D Printing
4. My Coin Collection
5. Conviction Prediction
6. Conviction Prediction, and Some Magishin’
7. The Famous Three Coin Trick
8. Three Coin Monte

CHAPTER EIGHTEEN – FRIENDS SECTION
1. Introduction
2. Mike Gallo – I Got It Covered
3. Nathan Kranzo – Shuzbut Coins
4. Jean Emmanuel Franzis – Aegean Coins
5. Moritz Mueller – Slide of Hand Vanish
6. Bill Citino – Coins Walking Wildly Ahead
7. Tom Gagnon – Shell-Acted
8. Marc DeSouza – Cylinder and Coins for Three Friends
9. Eric Roumestan – Touch, No Touch
10. Brenden Wolf – Differential
11. Lawrens Godon – Three-ality Routine
12. Tri Ryuzaki – Synchronized Spellbound
13. Giacomo Bertini – Coinmeleon II
14. Etienne Lorenceau – Faustus Chameleon Skin Purse
15. Danny Goldsmith – The Frenetic Change
16. Leonard Rangel – Three Flight
17. Doug Brewer – Left-Handed Coins in a Box
18. John Carey – Simplex Positive Negative
19. Miguel Angel Gea – Coin Munch
20. Bill Wisch – The Elbow Servante
21. Jay Wang – Purse-onal Coin Production
22. Karen Dorangrichia – WOW Magic Chicken
23. David Roth - The Roth Blank Coin Routine

PART THREE – BONUS SECTION CHAPTER NINETEEN - PUNS FOR ANY OCCASION
1. Introduction
2. Medical
3. Professional
4. Animals
5. Sports
6. Home
7. Car and Travel
8. Food 9. Personal
9. Bars and Drinks
10. Miscellaneous

CHAPTER TWENTY – CURTAIN CALL
1. Chinese Explosion II
2. Quarter Steal
3. Baseball Miser’s Dream

FINAL THOUGHTS

ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Michael Rubinstein
View Profile
V.I.P.
4674 Posts

One more review, again from the Propdog site, from Peter Rand. Thanks to all for sharing your thoughts with the magic fraternity! Supplies of the reprint are selling out, but I have once again reprinted the book, and will have a new supply in two weeks that I can sign. All will come with a limited edition Free Gift, while supplies last, so be sure to shoot me an email if interested, to rubinsteindvm@aol.com

26/08/2020

This book is extensive, comprehensive, and contains so much incredible material it will take me years to get through it. It is the biggest book on coin magic since Bobo, and the most important since Roth's Expert Coin Magic. One just needs to look at the nine page table of contents to see how much incredible material is contained inside. Twenty chapters, new material and techniques, contributions by some of the top coin guys, and some of the best (or worst) puns you will ever read! And not only that, throughout the book are quotes from the author that relect his own philosophy about coin magic. Wise words indeed! Buy this book, you can't go wrong!
Michael Rubinstein
View Profile
V.I.P.
4674 Posts

Found this review on the Stevens Magic Emporium site:
antonnova77 – July 7, 2020

A book that is a true masterpiece. All the routines are well written, excellent details, and performed to perfection. A classic the day it was released and sold out just as fast. An investment for any lover of quality coin magic. A long awaited fantastic book.
Watch this space, dropping a new video of a routine from the book later...
Michael Rubinstein
View Profile
V.I.P.
4674 Posts

Happy to share this routine from my book, Rubinstein Coin Magic. Since this is a modular routine, I had several phases. This version removed the middle phase from the book, but borrowed from another routine (Triple Play) to extend the first phase. Otherwise, it's the same. Anyone who already has the book can inquire about the changes. Hope you enjoy it, I will have a limited amount of books available for signing in around a week, that will come with a FREE GIFT, only available with the books I sell. For ordering information, shoot me an email at rubinsteindvm@aol.com
Here is The Purse Routine, enjoy!
https://youtu.be/si4Sb3NFlbs
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Reviews of "Rubinstein Coin Magic" by Dr. Michael Rubinstein (11 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL