The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Our new arrivals » » The Newest Member (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

SpongeBall
View Profile
New user
8 Posts

Profile of SpongeBall
Hello. I am Mike. and this is my 1st forum. I hope to benefit from the vast knowledge I've seen on this forum and maybe even offer some thoughts that may be helpful in return.
I started magic in my early teens back in the 70s. A buddy and I would spend our monthly allowance at a local midwestern magic shop. It was a huge deal to see Doug Henning live! and Harry Blackstone JR! My most fortunate memory was meeting Don Alan In a hotel lobby as he performed his table magic! He was happy to take the time to talk with a beginner and a fan. After his last show he autographed and gave me His 8 X 10 glossy from the glass window in the lobby. As a kid I performed birthday parties and small venues locally for a few years. I then had to get a real job, as life goes I met my wife then my 2 kids then the house then.... Magic was packed away for the most part. Fast forward to 2020, With all the extra time during quarantine, I dug out my, now "vintage magic" and got the bug back! My favorite magic is close up table magic. You could say Don Alan had an influence but I am most comfortable with an intimate setting of 4 or 5. Not to mention the art of lapping opens up opportunity. I am excited to see how far close up and slight of hand have developed over the years. Digging out the old classics with some newer techniques can make a great routine. I love coin magic color changing knives and my favorite The Ramsay's cylinder and coins. I am looking forward to meeting magicians who enjoy helping magicians! I am currently in California Bay Area.
Boomer
View Profile
Special user
Prosper, TX
668 Posts

Profile of Boomer
Spongeball,

Loved your story.

Where in the Midwest? I grew up less than 2hrs from Abbotts. Didn't make it there but a few times growing up. Was closer to visit the magic shops in Grand Rapids.

I'm also in the California Bay Area, Livermore. Been here for a year, moved from San Ramon.

Glad to have you here at TMC.

Dave
SpongeBall
View Profile
New user
8 Posts

Profile of SpongeBall
Hi Dave,
Thanks for taking the time. I was raised in Wi in the lake geneva area. I am now in walnut creek. My inlaws are in pleasanton so I am close.
I managed to go to the Abbotts convention once in the early 80s. It is a must experience for magicians. Blackstone JR performed the zig zag. The best zigzag presentation ever. What type of magic do you do? Hopefully we can meet soon. It would be nice to have another magician critique my slights before I show them. I just posted my first thread in my life. I am researching a routine I saw with CSB using a coin box. So far I am batting zero with responses! lol
MultiSlacker
View Profile
New user
GA
59 Posts

Profile of MultiSlacker
Welcome to the forum!
AnthonyCC
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of AnthonyCC
Welcome to the Café, Mike!
SpongeBall
View Profile
New user
8 Posts

Profile of SpongeBall
Quote:
On Jun 23, 2020, AnthonyCC wrote:
Welcome to the Café, Mike!

Thank You! Your website is very nice BTW!
TomB
View Profile
Veteran user
Michigan, USA
330 Posts

Profile of TomB
Welcome Spongeball. This is a great forum. I am sure you will like it here. YouTube or zoom is a great place to show off your talents and get feedback from a distance.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Our new arrivals » » The Newest Member (3 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL