The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Aaron Fisher Courses (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

TeddyBoy
View Profile
Special user
New York, NY
595 Posts

Profile of TeddyBoy
Has anyone participated in, or heard anything about, the card magic training courses available on Aaron Fisher's website? I'm considering giving it a go but I am curious if anyone here has any relevant information about them.

Thanks.
So many sleights...so little time.
"Slow...deliberate...natural." Bill Tarr

Cheers,
Teddy
thedailymagician
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of thedailymagician
All of Aaron's stuff is top notch. He really goes through the fundamentals better than most training I've seen and shows you how to build a 'base' on which you can layer more and more advanced stuff. Were you talking about his Pathways course, his 3M course, or his club - Conjuror Community?
TeddyBoy
View Profile
Special user
New York, NY
595 Posts

Profile of TeddyBoy
I am taking his Pathways course. I am enjoying it very much although sometimes his "layering" distracts from the sleights he teaches. For example, I had to listen to his Cover Reverse lecture about 5 times before I could differentiate the actual steps of the move from his theoretical offshoots. However, I think it was an excellent choice and I eventually hope to learn enough to also focus on his thoughts regarding performing. Currently though, I do not aspire to be a performer.

Cheers,
Teddy
Steven Leung
View Profile
Inner circle
found the Magic Rainbow after
1614 Posts

Profile of Steven Leung
I highly recommend Aaron Fishers Courses.

I know he has different pricing on difference courses, so get one or two first and taste to see if you like his style of teaching or not. I know he might sound talk more than most online downloads these days, and yes he was taught by old school including the late Larry Jennings, Michael Skinner to name a few. What most important is the content of what he talk, the attention to smallest details, which is the most important in magic.

The truth is, for those who are new to magic in early 2020, the biggest problem is that there are too many products / downloads you can get by simply click and pay. It will be much better to master 10 effects, perform for real audience before to get anything new.
Most memorable moment - with Maestro Juan Tamariz & Consuelo Lorgia in FISM Busan 2018.

"Being fooled by a trick doesn't always mean they are having a good time" - Homer Liwag

https://hhpresents.com/
https://www.glitchstudiohk.com/
mlippo
View Profile
Inner circle
Trieste (Italy)
1227 Posts

Profile of mlippo
I remember downloading a "demo" lesson from Aaron Fisher, from his Pathway course...
Gee, he bored me to death!

Mind you, I am NOT disputing the fact he knows very well what he talking about, his card techniques (which are very good).
I am just saying that he's boring when he teaches something, at least from what I saw.
He seemed to be repeating the same thing over and over again. He talks waaaaay too slowly. If you bought his course, you're able to replay the same section of the video again and again, I suppose. No need for HIM to repeat the same thing a zillion of times! If you don't catch something, just rewind and replay, for god's sake!
I ended up cancelling the subscription to his page.

Roberto Giobbi is an academical-style teacher as well, but at least he is able to remain on the subject, without too many detours and repetitions. Soooooo much better as a teacher.

Do yourself a favour: buy the card College BOOKS. Study them thoroughly! Start performing as Giobbi teaches. Then go on YouTube and watch the GREAT MASTERS of card magic performing card magic, often the same effects taught in the books and realise how differently the same effects can be presented! Think with your head and then re-perform the same effects, filtered through your personality. You'll quite likely end up performing them differently than anyone else, but it will be YOU in front on the audience.

All this takes time, lotsa time. But it's worth the journey.

My opinion of course

Mark
EndersGame
View Profile
Inner circle
Reviewer EndersGame
2198 Posts

Profile of EndersGame
Quote:
On Aug 21, 2020, mlippo wrote:
Roberto Giobbi is an academical-style teacher as well, but at least he is able to remain on the subject, without too many detours and repetitions. Soooooo much better as a teacher.

Do yourself a favour: buy the card College BOOKS. Study them thoroughly! Start performing as Giobbi teaches. Then go on YouTube and watch the GREAT MASTERS of card magic performing card magic, often the same effects taught in the books and realise how differently the same effects can be presented! Think with your head and then re-perform the same effects, filtered through your personality. You'll quite likely end up performing them differently than anyone else, but it will be YOU in front on the audience.

Amen to the great advice here from Mark.

If you really, really want videos, you can get Giobbi's Card College video course as a companion to his books.

But do get the books - the Card College series is really the gold standard textbook for modern card magic, second to none. Even if you just get the first two, you'll be well set for life.

Don't consider them an expense, but an investment in a lifetime of card magic.
TeddyBoy
View Profile
Special user
New York, NY
595 Posts

Profile of TeddyBoy
To complete my journey, I want to inform interested parties that I quit the course early in August. My sentiments are similar to MLippo's. Although a brilliant card man, his teaching of intermediate and advanced material is based on the Freudian approach-he free associates whatever comes into his mind. Specifically, when describing a sleight he keeps interrupting himself to talk about spectator-related matters. Although these matters are interesting and important I found that I had to view a given lecture several times to piece together the steps in a sleight...and hope I was correct.

The finale was when he showed his somewhat original and distinct version of the classic Twisting the Aces, a trick I have done several times. I could not follow his lecture/instructions even though I know the idea of the trick. I said "forget it" and obtained a refund. I believe you have 30 or 60 days to get a refund. I was very disappointed since the course started off quite nicely-the first three lectures were clear and useful although somewhat elementary. For example, it improved my overhand shuffle.

Cheers,
Teddy
HofzinsersFan
View Profile
New user
Scotland
81 Posts

Profile of HofzinsersFan
No offence meant here Teddyboy, I mean that. Smile
But I burst out laughing when I read through this whole thread and then ending with your somewhat disappointed experience of Aaron's course but then to add at the end
"it improved my overhand shuffle...."
Comedy Gold Sir! Smile
Smile
Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile

.Smile What do you mean you don't read?

You need to read FITZKEE
- Dick Oslund, 2019.
TeddyBoy
View Profile
Special user
New York, NY
595 Posts

Profile of TeddyBoy
No offense taken Hof'Fan. I simply wanted to point out that there could be value in the course if it suits your style. But that was the first lecture which admittedly was done well. But with 12-13 subjects/sleights to go Aaron increasingly kept interrupting himself and confusing me. I certainly wanted more out of the course than improving my overhand shuffle; especially for $297 USD. In my earlier post above, I pointed out that I felt he was easily distracted to peripheral matters. With time my perception and frustration grew. Of course, others may do fine with his style.

Cheers,
Teddy
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Aaron Fisher Courses (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL