The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Magic in the new normal (15 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
DavidMac
View Profile
New user
Stafford, UK
57 Posts

Profile of DavidMac
I was wondering how everyone is adapting their sets to a more contactless, socially distanced environment or whether people are waiting for old normality to return?

I've not performed for about a year, it's been a paid hobby but a change in job 18 months ago meant I've not really had time. Having spent a long time sorting sets where the majority of the effects happen in the spectator's hands, I now find myself looking at changing routines or looking at alternative affects taking the magic out of the hands and what feels like reach of spectators.

At present the opportunities for walk around aren't available so reviewing what I do seems the right thing to be doing, but even the simple act of having a card signed or a billet written on seems a long way off.

I suppose the current circumstances will drive creativity in some.

I've got visions of being stuck in a corner of a wedding or party with a table performing a parlor set rather than close up.

Just wondered what everyone's thoughts are...

Thanks
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20533 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
It is not as long off as it seems.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3209 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
Work the new "rules" into your comedy. Before you hand someone (for example) the coin or ring to hold, make a hand sanitizer packet appear and wait for them, impatiently tapping your foot, while they sanitize their hands. Before you hand them a pen to sign the card from an appropriately "social distance" (as far as your arms can reach out) spray the pen with sanitizer. Bless the objects you handle with the "magician's blessing" - I use: "Hocus Pocus Two Two Oh". Remember, they have all been going through this, too, and will enjoy making fun of the situation.
DavidMac
View Profile
New user
Stafford, UK
57 Posts

Profile of DavidMac
Quote:
On Jun 20, 2020, Dannydoyle wrote:

That is true, it may not be far off but people's uncertainty will remain long after we return to normal and we'll have to work with it.
DavidMac
View Profile
New user
Stafford, UK
57 Posts

Profile of DavidMac
Quote:
On Jun 20, 2020, jimgerrish wrote:
Work the new "rules" into your comedy. Before you hand someone (for example) the coin or ring to hold, make a hand sanitizer packet appear and wait for them, impatiently tapping your foot, while they sanitize their hands. Before you hand them a pen to sign the card from an appropriately "social distance" (as far as your arms can reach out) spray the pen with sanitizer. Bless the objects you handle with the "magician's blessing" - I use: "Hocus Pocus Two Two Oh". Remember, they have all been going through this, too, and will enjoy making fun of the situation.

Good idea taking a lighter look and using comedy your advantage.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20533 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Jun 20, 2020, DavidMac wrote:
Quote:
On Jun 20, 2020, Dannydoyle wrote:

That is true, it may not be far off but people's uncertainty will remain long after we return to normal and we'll have to work with it.

No it won't. Look at the pictures of Las Vegas and tell me about "new normal" after reopening.

I believe it will only be a big deal as long as performers make it one.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10133 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Absolutely so true!

Magicians will become their own worst enemy. A new version of stop running when not being chased.
DavidMac
View Profile
New user
Stafford, UK
57 Posts

Profile of DavidMac
The US may be different to the UK, given we have only just started having non essential shops opening, kids aren't going back to school until after the summer and employees may not go back to office work until January. Social distancing is very real here.

I personally feel that, at least in the short term, there will be a reluctance from people to get hands on involvement with close up magic and therefore we (or just me) need to look at alternative sets.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20533 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Yea not we.

The ENTIRE POINT of close up magic is right there in the name.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9013 Posts

Profile of funsway
It is good, perhaps, for magicians to consider what makes Close-up different from other approaches -- what appeals and what does not.

Future choices of venue and style can only benefit from such musing. A possible return to close-up may involve a heightened appreciation.

What of social spacing is reduced but there is a reluctance to handle objects. Has the use of masks increased eye contact reluctance or comfort?

Is the physical touching experience going to be changed? More appreciated or forever fearful?

Not sure about these being "new normal." Perhaps the concept of normal as a standard will have changed.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20533 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Again doubtful. People just won't put up with it. I am living right smack in the middle of a reopened state and tourist area and no new normal exists. Same with Vegas, Daytona and so on. I make no case for it being right or wrong, just that it is.

Look at the political rally, and protests. Sorry new normal will not be a factor long in America.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Vandecarr
View Profile
New user
80 Posts

Profile of Vandecarr
The new normal is the same as its always been.

While my fairs are cancelled until July 28, I've been back out on the streets working for the past 3 weeks.

I still get audiences between 50 and probably around 150...

I still pack them in shoulder to shoulder...

Some where stupid masks, but most don't...

Hats are as good as ever...

People still hang out. after each. show to talk and take photos...

People are still shaking hands, high fiving and having fun!

You are the show - Do your show the way you do it - Be confident and your audience will go along for the ride, just like always.
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved to Seattle to see
1195 Posts

Profile of imgic
Wonder why COVID positive tests and death rates are both hitting highest level in Kansas City...
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
David French
View Profile
Veteran user
364 Posts

Profile of David French
Personally I don't like the term "new normal" The issue is that every state, county and region are different in their restrictions. I am headed back this Friday to one of my venues. I will hope to be able to do what I always did. However, of course I will be sensitive to the needs of the business as well as the guests concerns. I am axioms to see how it goes.
I have other venues that will not allow any entertainment for a while. We just have to roll with what is in front of us.
Count Hatrick
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of Count Hatrick
Two perspectives in this discussion. 1. Will spectators be willing to handle your props? There are many truely close up effects that don't require this, colour Monte, crazy man's handcuffs. Sponge balls out and coins across in. 2. What's your risk as a performer. Every card you get selected puts you at risk of exposure. If you do that 50 times a night, your risk goes up.
There is no new normal until we get to normal.
Vandecarr
View Profile
New user
80 Posts

Profile of Vandecarr
Imgic,

I'm not busking in Kansas City...

But good attempt at a weak ploy

The Kung Flu has a survival rate of 99.4%

It's only dangerous for .06% of people.

If you believe everything you hear on TV you are in serious trouble.

Furthermore, mandatory masks are idiotic!

After 7 months of the virus, making masks mandatory now, is like wearing a condom to the baby shower.

Wake up and smell the toast burning!!!

America has been played and it will continue... Until the day after the election!
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20533 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Without getting into the politics of it nice baby shower joke!

Also those numbers don't add up to 100.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Ken Northridge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlantic City, NJ
2294 Posts

Profile of Ken Northridge
Whatever your personal conclusion is about the danger/non-danger of this virus, I think we need to be sensitive to the fact that many people are very fearful of it. As a strolling close-up magician we are likely to barge into someone's personal space, uninvited, and make them uncomfortable, or even angry.

I've been thinking about pitching this idea to a client who hires me to do a strolling gig at an outdoor event every 4th of July. Instead of me 'strolling' why not set up a permanent station? Let the people come to me. That way its their choice. If they are super sensitive to being close to someone they can simply walk on. There are certain advantages of this for me also. With a permanent spot I can use a table and do some routines I normally couldn't do.

What do you think?
"Love is the real magic." -Doug Henning
www.KenNorthridge.com
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved to Seattle to see
1195 Posts

Profile of imgic
Quote:
On Jun 25, 2020, Vandecarr wrote:
Imgic,

I'm not busking in Kansas City...

But good attempt at a weak ploy

The Kung Flu has a survival rate of 99.4%

It's only dangerous for .06% of people.

If you believe everything you hear on TV you are in serious trouble.

Furthermore, mandatory masks are idiotic!

After 7 months of the virus, making masks mandatory now, is like wearing a condom to the baby shower.

Wake up and smell the toast burning!!!

America has been played and it will continue... Until the day after the election!

Never said you were busking. Just pointing out CDC figures showing increases in your area.

Masks do work. It helps to wear them now. And it’s dangerous to everyone. I work in a hospital system. I see this first hand. But doubt any rationale discussion with you will change your mind.

Good luck to you and all those around you not social distancing or being considerate to others by masking...
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20533 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Well maybe if they hadn't lied to us in the beginning it would be easier for people to see masks work. And isn't that the trouble with lying?

You work in the hospital system and that is where people go who are the worst odd with everything. It is a very skewed perspective. Not an invalid one but a skewed one.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Magic in the new normal (15 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL