The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Magic in the new normal (15 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20554 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
That seemed ironically unproductive didn't it?

I suppose others can answer that better than I. But name calling? Seriously?

Why would you come back after the time has passed just to call names? Kind of silly if you ask me but whatever.

But to clarify asking you to post proof of what you claim is being grumpy. Asking people to think for themselves is grumpy. Pointing out inconsistency in things we have been told is grumpy.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20554 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
But as long as you are SO hungry information here is one of those RCT thingies he was talking about. Maybe you have seen it?

https://bmjopen.bmj.com/content/5/4/e006577

And some information on kids in schools.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/eur......ory.html

https://www.usnews.com/news/world/articl......-schools

Just because I choose actual information gathering over fear does not make me contrarian. Far from it.

To be clear I AM IN NO WAY encouraging anyone not to wear a mask. I am not even taking a position on the subject. I am however encouraging people to educate themselves. Because the people who have been entrusted with doing so for us have lied to us repeatedly.

Now this is the part in a normal discussion where YOU would post some information from some sources YOU have and then it becomes a discussion among adults. You refuse to ever do that so lord only knows what it will become now. Kalix posted links to things to be considered as well. This makes it easier to separate fact from hyperbolic political speech.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
DavidMac
View Profile
New user
Stafford, UK
57 Posts

Profile of DavidMac
Wow, just checked in on this post, didn't expect it to go in the direction it has.

Can't see performing at any wedding events in the near future with restrictions still in place in the UK, live music is going to suffer too. Finding my feet online for the time being. Will just have to see how it goes.
peppermeat2000
View Profile
Elite user
410 Posts

Profile of peppermeat2000
I'm finding that some magicians are not interested in the ZOOM format for performing. Curious to find out from those who are reinventing their acts for this medium are moving along.
jack_shields
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of jack_shields
There are about 5 useful posts related to the topic. If you want to discuss politics do one to politicscafe.com and do it there.

I'm sort of with you DavidMac, kind of like the idea of a stationary 'performance area' but that does mean that you can't escape troublesome spectators haha.

If anyone wants to actually talk about the topic and has any suggestions on work arounds I for one would be interested to hear.
Kind regards
Jack
griz326
View Profile
Regular user
Eureka, Montana
108 Posts

Profile of griz326
Aside from being bummed by the limited opportunities to perform, the inability to perform for hundreds of people a month dulls performance skills. You can't video practice your way to razor sharp audience entertainment skill.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20554 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I'll tell you the thing that really bites is that participation in this is not voluntary. It used to be that if TV talking heads claimed recession I would simply refuse to participate. Go ahead have one without me.

It never matters what they say I lived my life.

THIS is different! This may have opinions, but holy cow is it real. Not participating isn't an option even if you thought that was the why to go. (I don't think that by the way.)

Looks like we may be on the back end of the problem, maybe. The other fallout may take longer though.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13411 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Here's how I educated myself:

My decision came from:
1. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LeEBn4ttZZY mask types and results, plus no mask (this and similar videos)
2. everyone wears a mask during surgery (raise your hand if you'd prefer them not to)
3. Those I respect e.g., Fauci, Redfield, Birx are adamant about wearing masks and social distancing
4. Based on what I think is common sense, I do not believe in mask conspiracy theories such as (the govt is trying to blah, blah, blah, and drink our blood)

To me it is all quite straight-forward, easy to do, harmless. . . whatevs.

I'll save my outrage for other, more pressing things.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20554 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Try being claustrophobic and having to wear a mask.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13411 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Yep. Not fun, I'd imagine.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20554 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
My main point being blanket statements simply don't work.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
griz326
View Profile
Regular user
Eureka, Montana
108 Posts

Profile of griz326
FACT: Based on molecular weight of the COVID virus, all common masks are porous.

Those common masks do block a percentage of the discharge from a cough or sneeze; that is the limit of such a masks usefulness. Common masks provide a small measure of mitigation. I know this from writing a white paper on ultra-filtration, the separation of molecules by molecular weight.

In the operating room, personnel usually wear an N95 or N99 mask covered by a common mask. This is what you see Joe Biden wearing.

The seal around the mask is also important to proper functioning. Common masks have no seal; 95s and 99s must be properly fitted for maximum seal. Facial hair makes a proper seal impossible.

Mask wearing provides little benefit for the wearer unless it is a 95 or 99. It does provide some benefit for the people near you.

A healthcare worker "with a cold" gave my mother the flu; she was not wearing a mask. It killed her. For that reason, I wear a mask in closed spaces despite O2 saturation issues.

So can we lose the politics in this thread, please!
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20554 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Wow hit seem to be the authority. Please call those in power to let them know.

Wrote an entire paper on it did you?

I have no clue if you are right or wrong. But I'm fairly certain the doctors Frank mentioned have at least SOME experience in the matter as well. Maybe they have even written a paper on the subject.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
griz326
View Profile
Regular user
Eureka, Montana
108 Posts

Profile of griz326
Quote:
On Oct 20, 2020, Dannydoyle wrote:

...I'm fairly certain the doctors Frank mentioned have at least SOME experience in the matter as well.

Then you'd probably be wrong. Ultra-filtration is a highly-specialized field and far removed from doctoring. Docs likely know far less about ultra-filtration than they do about pharmaceuticals. It is likely that most docs would understand the science once explained to them. When I wrote the white paper almost 40 years ago the topic was just beginning to become commercially available to the research scientists who read the white paper.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20554 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I'm going to go ahead and believe those in charge of countering infections disease have indeed heard of the concept.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
View Profile
Inner circle
1495 Posts

Profile of Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
Ive had to adapt my entire act. I usually perform in the hands close up magic. I enjoy the personal connection it creates at that distance. I don't enjoy being the center with everyone focused only on me.
However, when I recieved the call to perform weekly for my local cornmaze I knew I would have to adapt. So I started practicing a type of street style show? I put together a set that could easily be enjoyed from 6 plus feet back and went to work. I am stationary and call people to me. Then I perform two dollar window, my 3 fly, Laflins color changing silk, and Vernons cups and balls. Its been a nice change but I'm not sure about having a group stare at me. Also, I don't always perform them all or wven in this order.
gotgot
View Profile
New user
68 Posts

Profile of gotgot
Hello
What do you guys perform for a zoom kid birthday party?
I'm having my first one soon...
so far I was thinking to do the usual stuff that I do, only much shorter (like 20 min in total) coloring book, teleportation water, SOCKS, rope magic, sponge balls coming from my mouth. I really don't know how that'll play.
are those who do it happy with the way it goes? do the children enjoy it? how long does your show last?
thank you!
David French
View Profile
Veteran user
363 Posts

Profile of David French
I may get some flack for this, but I have not changed anything in my act. Every area, venue and owner is different. I have been back to a few of my Restaurant gigs for a couple of months. I am shocked at the reception I receive from the guests and staff, which is enthusiastic and welcoming. I work on guests tables with a close up mat, in the hands material and up close. I do wear a mask and take extra time to ensure the guests are comfortable with magic up close. I have had no issues. Again, your area may vary and mine is always subject to change.
ringmaster
View Profile
Inner circle
Memphis, Down in Dixie
1856 Posts

Profile of ringmaster
Quote:
On Jun 20, 2020, Dannydoyle wrote:
Quote:
On Jun 20, 2020, DavidMac wrote:
Quote:
On Jun 20, 2020, Dannydoyle wrote:
It is not as long off as it seems.

That is true, it may not be far off but people's uncertainty will remain long after we return to normal and we'll have to work with it.

No it won't. Look at the pictures of Las Vegas and tell me about "new normal" after reopening.

I believe it will only be a big deal as long as performers make it one.

People who make a special trip to Los Vegas to throw away their money, are not normal.
Bally Hoo and Hullabaloo
one for me and none for you.
ringmaster
View Profile
Inner circle
Memphis, Down in Dixie
1856 Posts

Profile of ringmaster
Quote:
On Jun 26, 2020, Vandecarr wrote:
Imgic,

I'm not busking in Kansas City...

But good attempt at a weak ploy

The Kung Flu has a survival rate of 99.4%

It's only dangerous for .06% of people.

If you believe everything you hear on TV you are in serious trouble.

Furthermore, mandatory masks are idiotic!

After 7 months of the virus, making masks mandatory now, is like wearing a condom to the baby shower.

Wake up and smell the toast burning!!!

America has been played and it will continue... Until the day after the election!

If you wore a condom, we wouldn't have to have the baby shower.
Bally Hoo and Hullabaloo
one for me and none for you.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Magic in the new normal (15 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL