The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » My Secret Lunch...OR Let's Have Some Fun AGAIN...or Son of Fun... (33 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
David Thiel
View Profile
Inner circle
Western Canada...where all that oil is
4005 Posts

Profile of David Thiel
The last time you all played this game with me was a blast. Let's do it again.

To recap the rules: In THIS case I am remembering a dream I had. In this dream I was at a well known place with a well known person...having lunch.

This time THREE copies of The Sharpshooter System are up for grabs. (Info on The Sharpshooter System is in my signature at the Magic Pendulums site.)

To win one of these copies, you will need to do a little cold reading. Prizes go out to:

1) The first person who is able to divine WHO the 'Famous Person' I am having lunch with is and

2) The first person who is able to divine WHERE -- as in the SPECIFIC place -- I am having lunch. (NOTE: Both my lunch guest AND the place we are eating are very well known).

3) The most innovative cold reader technique

Yup. Since much of The Sharpshooter System is build around cold reading, you will have to phrase your questions or comments as a cold reader would.

Just a few other rules:

1) You can make a total of TEN questions or posts as you investigate my secret lunch.
2) You can only guess the identity of my lunch guest ONCE...and only get one guess at our LOCATION.
3) If you make an incorrect guess you are eliminated from that phase of the competition.

The event ends when both of my secrets are uncovered...OR on June 29th...whichever comes first.

I will post my responses on this thread in the late afternoon...some time around 3:00 pm MST. My responses will always be true. No PMs. Your questions and comments can only appear here.

By the way: At some point within the next 48 hours, I will hide a clue on The Sharpshooter System page at the Magic Pendulums site.

This is gonna be fun!

David
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except bears. Bears will kill you.

My books are here: www.magicpendulums.com
www.MidnightMagicAndMentalism.com
Blindside785
View Profile
Inner circle
Olympia, WA
4541 Posts

Profile of Blindside785
Having lunch with an actor as revered as Robert De Niro close by and not unlike the Eiffel Tower is quite the experience.

I am probably gonna just end up buying the Sharpshooter system, but there is my guess.
David Thiel
View Profile
Inner circle
4005 Posts

Profile of David Thiel
Day One:

Blindside: It would have been really cool if that had been right. Smile I'd be buying YOUR book! Unfortunately, both are wrong and you have been eliminated.

By the way to anyone considering playing this game: a clue has now been posted on the Sharpshooter page on the Magic Pendulums website.

Since this is a site for mentalists...why not try to win your own copy of The Sharpshooter System?

This is the book Jheff of Marketplace of the Mind says could easily be called "The Maximum Entertainment of cent*r tears."

Richard Osterlind says "It's one of the best center t*ars I have come across." Then he adds "Even without the new Cent*r Tear, the rest of the book is a course on how to be a real Mentalist!"

This isn't just a new CT. It's a is a full system -- a complete polished routine -- with applications for virtually every mentalism effect you perform. It's a simple method and blows audiences away on stage or close up...and costs about two and a half cents per performance.

Play a little. Work your skills. I'm just trying to talk you into having some FUN!

Save yourself some money and add a complete professional level routine to your arsenal. What have you got to lose?

David
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except bears. Bears will kill you.

Demitri
View Profile
Loyal user
296 Posts

Profile of Demitri
David, I’m seeing an elegant scene... people a bit more dressed than usual. Off in the distance, I hear the rain sound of bells, or maybe a clock tower?

You’re enjoying a beverage with your guest... I’m sensing your drink Imparts a warming sensation. As you sip it, I can almost hear the voice of your celebrity guest. I hear a masculine voice... and while the words are only coming in sporadically, I’m getting the sense that you’re discussing a shared interest...
espmagic
View Profile
Special user
979 Posts

Profile of espmagic
David - as my friend I can only offer a small amount of humour (and I am sure that very few will get this): there you sat, dressed as you normally do, and across the Café table in a small shop in Vancouver, sipping green tea, and chatting about light-hearted topics with the celebrity that was in town, a powerful fellow named Trudeau, who enjoyed his hot chocolate, and discussed the position of his party's position on performance arts and theatre...
Bietfriek
View Profile
Special user
Bye, bye after
502 Posts

Profile of Bietfriek
Hi David, The fact you remembered your dream tells me it has a certain importance to you. After a deep sleep where your brain takes the time to take a good rest, at the end of your sleeping cyclus this dream appeared! There IS a reason for that. Your unconscious mind served you very well.

Dreaming of having a lunch with someone, suggests you were in the middle of a process. Learning more about something or investigating a problem you have/or want to deal with. The person that was with you also had a specific part in your dream. You didn’t ask the guy (it was a man, I’m sure about that) any questions but observed his reactions and persona very carefully. It’s someone you respect and in a positive way look up to.

The above would suggest that you had a hot/warm beverage with your lunch. I guess coffee.....to relieve stress and being able to take the time and be alert to what the other person has to offer you. You also didn’t experience the dream as yourself, it wasn’t lucid but you kind of observed yourself and the other man.......
Mr. Woolery
View Profile
Inner circle
Fairbanks, AK
2149 Posts

Profile of Mr. Woolery
This is a very generous offer, David! Right off, thank you for the diverting game!

I get the impression that you’ve given more of a hint than you think we need, too. One of those “hidden in plain sight” hints.

When you say you dreamed of a well known person, you certainly expect folks on the Café to recognize the name, but I don’t really think this person is as well known to the general public. I also feel like this is a person you know in real life. Someone you admire, who has influenced your life for the better. While it is true that all friends make us better, so long as we choose good friends, there’s more to it in this case, I think.

I’m getting the letter O, which is unusual for me. I don’t normally pick up on letters, but I feel like this one is important to you in some way in the context of this contest.

Huh.

Truth be told, this isn’t the way I prefer to read people. But I do see that you are trying to be open and I sense that you are actually hoping for success for someone here. That helps, as you know.

I feel a hint of a smile lifting the corner of your mouth now. I don’t know if that’s because I’m on the right track or you are just amused at me meandering through this.

As you look across the table at your friend, I feel like you are looking at a man, not a woman. He is clean shaven. Dark hair, or salt and pepper, but it used to be very dark. He has an open, expressive face. The kind of face that’s easy to trust. Which has been part of his success in life.

I keep trying to envision the table you are seated at, but it just keeps looking like a cheap booth instead of a good restaurant. That’s probably my own bias here. When I go for lunch with a friend I normally find myself gravitating to either convenience food or comfort food, not fine dining. I like to spend the time focusing on conversation rather than cuisine. I actually am reminded of MacDonald’s.

I’ll let someone else try to figure out the place you ate, because I don’t think my low-class taste is accurate here.

I just got the image in my mind of you smiling as your friend told you something about performing. It is either something you’ve heard before or something very similar to an experience you’ve had, because that was a knowing smile, not a surprised one. This friend is also an entertainer, isn’t he? Something of an inspiration to you. Perhaps even a bit of a mentor, though he might say that’s going too far.

Is it Richard Osterlind?

Long distance, without being able to connect with you directly, this is pretty difficult. But at the same time, interesting. Fun, even.

Thank you for the game!

Patrick
Philemon Vanderbeck
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
4698 Posts

Profile of Philemon Vanderbeck
The Oneiromancer dusted off his tarot cards, and after giving them a few shuffles, began laying them out:

The first card is the significator, which would typically represent you. However, based on your challenge, I am having this represent the person you dined within your dream. I drew the Princess of Swords, so your dining companion may be female, but if not, then a person who represents many qualities we typically associate with the feminine. The Princess is the person in your life or aspect of yourself, floating like a balloon in a peaceful sky. She helps you ignore your analytical mind and instead helps you to relax in quiet and contemplative meditation.

The second card is the venue, which I drew the Tower. Usually, not a pleasant card, as it typically presages some catastrophe in your life. My gut tells me to interpret this card literally; that you are dining in the restaurant of some fancy high-rise building. However, due to the nature of the card, it is quite possible that this place only exists in your dreams, and may no longer exist in reality.

Those are my initial feelings, and it is at this point where I begin to ask my clarifying questions to make sense. Usually, I would have you the opposite of me so we could engage in meaningful dialogue as I narrowed in on the specifics. Still, due to the limitations of this medium, I chose to draw ten more cards, each will represent a question for you to answer.

1 - Emergence - Do you feel that you are undergoing some sort of spiritual transformation at this time?
2 - 5 Cups - Likewise, are you contemplating a recent disappointment in your life?
3 - 8 Cups - Is there a person in your life who seems to be draining your energy?
4 - 3 Cups - Are you seeing out the company of other friends to help bring you abundance?
5 - Princess of Cups - Which aspects of your situation can you simply let go? The present is a time of flow, and a reminder not to dwell overly long on negativity.
6 - 9 Wands - Are you seeking out other members of your community to give you support at this time? You need to go beyond just the immediate friends indicated by the 3 Cups.
7 - Art - Have you been engaged in deep contemplation regarding your creative process overall? Do you feel stuck and are seeking balance to restore the flow (see Princess of Cups)?
8 - Strength - It is time to tap into the hidden reserves of courage within you to overcome your current obstacles. When was the last time you took a significant risk?
9 - 2 Cups - Who is it that you truly love? How does that person play a part in your life right now? Are you protecting them, or are you allowing them to participate, even though they may wind up sharing in the pain?
10 - 8 Disks - Whatever you have started, do not abandon it prematurely. There is still much guidance on your part necessary to bring it to its final realization. How are you influencing it without overpowering it?

Perhaps the questions above are more representative of the conversation you had in your dream? Or else, they represent the symbolic meaning behind the dream itself.

One thing I noticed is that half of the ten cards chosen to represent questions are Cups. This proportion feels to me like that is dream had a profound emotional impact on you upon waking. It's awoken a lot of feeling that you may have been ignoring or even repressing.

I await your response.
Professor Philemon Vanderbeck
That Creepy Magician
"I use my sixth sense to create the illusion of possessing the other five."
David Thiel
View Profile
Inner circle
4005 Posts

Profile of David Thiel
DAY TWO

Demetri: I wouldn't call this scene elegant...and in my dream I don't remember hearing any bells or a clock. YES! In my dream I am enjoying a beverage with my guest. YES! I am drinking coffee with my meal. I ALWAYS drink coffee with my meal! How did you know that? The voice is not masculine, however. Quite the opposite. As for the conversation...it is a shared interest, although I suspect it is much more her area of specialty than mine.

espmagic: No. I am not in Vancouver in my dream. (Having a conversation with Trudeau would be more of a nightmare...also I am not sure he can spell "theater.") No. It's not anyone named Trudeau. And you KNOW I despise green tea...and don't much like Trudeau. Yup...you made me smile. I am sorry, pal. You have been eliminated.

Bietfriek: YES! I am drinking coffee in my dream. I remember it was in an odd cup...which was suited to the environment. (As I recall it's quite cold where I was.) YES! I am very interested in this person's point of view on a number of things -- one in particular. YES! It is someone I respect. YES! I am discussing something I have been thinking about quite a lot lately. I don't remember feeling stressed, although you are correct: much about this dream was surreal.

Mr. Woolery: The person who was my companion would be well known to people in general -- not just people on the Café. No. I have never met this person in real life. YES! I admire her work. I can't say she has had an impact on my life...not really. As for "O"? I don't think it is significant to this dream -- with reference to the person OR the specific location. YES! You are correct: I have a significant respect for the way you are phrasing this reading. No. My companion at the table is not a man. I can sort of understand how you are "seeing" the location as a cheap booth. It's not a booth...but the meal takes place in a most unlikely area. I am not sure it even exists in the real world. Not McDonald's though. YES! In my dream I smiled because my companion told me something quite wonderful about performing. YES! My friend is an entertainer. YES! She has been an inspiration to me...although not directly a mentor. Have I learned from her? Yes. But I've learned by watching. You phrased your thought as a question...so I won't count it as an incorrect conclusion. It's not Richard Osterlind. (You're welcome for the game. I am having fun...hope you are too.)

PHILEMON: YES! The person I am dining with is a female. YES! Her work helps me relax. YES...and NO. I can certainly see where you are visualizing a tower. But I am not in a tower. Nor am I in the immediate vicinity of one. At least not in the traditional sense. YES! This place exists. While I have been there in the real world, I do not recall it having a traditional eating area. That's why it felt so surreal. As to your questions: 1) I am not aware of a spiritual transformation in my life right now. 2) YES! I am contemplating a recent disappointment. 3) No. I am not aware of anyone draining my energy...although I do have lung and heart issues that cause occasional sudden energy drains. Could that be it? 4) YES! I have a few excellent friends. 5) I am not sure what you mean by question 5. With reference to my dream: Nothing. 6) I do seek out other members of the community. Yes. Lately it has been regarding business. (I am currently working on a large update to Secret Assistant, my book about nai* writers. I've had many recent conversations with a number of other performers.) Is that what you're seeing? 7) I am ALWAYS contemplating my creative processes. I am not sure I feel 'stuck.' 8) I took a risk with The Sharpshooter System, investing time and energy and releasing the routine I care about most into the community. 9) I love and am in love with my life partner of 36 years, Sheree. She is absolutely part of my life and my work. The only people I am currently protecting are my grandchildren. There has been fallout from an incident a number of years ago. 10) I am not sure how these readings fit my dream...but the only two projects I have abandoned recently were: a book on close-up mentalism (and it was shelved more than abandoned) and my repeated attempts to talk myself into doing digital mentalism shows. I cannot say that I have a clear memory of the conversation I had with my lunch companion, although a few of the things she said stayed with me came to mind after I woke up. The rest is something of a smoky affable blur. I don't recall a powerful emotional reaction upon waking...but perhaps I have forgotten it. I simply had the sense of a comfortable friendly conversation.

I think that's everyone. MAN! You guys are good. Considering that for a starting point you just had "A famous person" and "A Place" you're doing remarkable work. It is absolutely true that I distinctly remember sipping coffee. Spooky, huh?

And YOU -- yes: YOU...the one who is popping in here to check out the updates: I should mention that one of the two winners the last time made exactly ONE post. He came in very late in the game with a precise conclusion and he won a book and I am coaching him one-on-one this weekend. So it's not too late to jump in!

See you tomorrow.

David

Bietfriek
View Profile
Special user
Bye, bye after
502 Posts

Profile of Bietfriek
I think I’m getting a clearer image right know.....you remembered the dream because it was quite funny and interesting to meet this person. She’s a very busy business lady and a great performer but she still took the time to appear in your dream. Her meal was rather “light”, maybe you don’t remember what she was having but just seeing her in front of you it seems quite logical. Perhaps she had a salad. What’s also funny is the fact that you, as a right handed person, had your coffee on the right hand side, but the lady (who is left handed) had her drink on her left hand side, thus your cups were close together. This creates a visual moment of perfection and connection for that specific moment.
252life
View Profile
Inner circle
Ninth Circle, Hades
3253 Posts

Profile of 252life
Sharpshooter ordered, sounds great. If it's half as informative as Davids posts always are I'm already satisfied Smile
Look for all the world like you're counting the brain cells in his cranium.

-Theodore Annemann
Mr. Woolery
View Profile
Inner circle
Fairbanks, AK
2149 Posts

Profile of Mr. Woolery
Ah, it was worth a shot. I put it down as sort of a stream of consciousness thing as I imagined myself in your place.

Now that I'm graduated, I have already decided that one thing I'll buy with my first paycheck (assuming I get the job I'm waiting to hear back on - graduated just in time for my field to essentially dry up due to virus stuff) is Sharpshooter. And I agree with 252, I've learned as lot from David here on the Café, so purchasing this product is a no-brainer. Just a slight delay before I can get it, but anticipation is not a bad thing.

Again, thanks for the game. It was fun to play and is still fun to see what other people wring out of it. I'm especially enjoying Philemon's approach.

-Patrick
David Thiel
View Profile
Inner circle
4005 Posts

Profile of David Thiel
DAY TWO

Bietfriek: You came up with something I didn't even know about my lunch guest. I know from my CR research that only 10% of the population is left handed...so you had a 90% chance of getting it wrong. But she IS left handed. I am not sure where you came up with that. Edging into spooky now. Smile

252life: It was fun corresponding with you. I hope to take you up on that dinner offer one day. Thank you most sincerely for your kind words about my posts. I appreciate them.

Mr. Woolery: It's always worth a shot. In the final analysis C*ld Reading is ultimately about taking informed shots. But I don't know where you're going...cause you're not disqualified. Actually, you were doing really well. Maybe you can still hang onto a bit of that paycheque? And I thank you as well for your kind words about my posts. Really. It is an honor to share information with people who want to hear it. But your game's not over unless you want it to be, Patrick....so?

David

Bietfriek
View Profile
Special user
Bye, bye after
502 Posts

Profile of Bietfriek
Well, David....here’s my guess: you’re with Celine Dion....
252life
View Profile
Inner circle
Ninth Circle, Hades
3253 Posts

Profile of 252life
Patrick if you don’t win a copy I’ll get you one as a graduation present Smile
I’m reading it now and you’ll love it.

-Theodore Annemann
Mr. Woolery
View Profile
Inner circle
Fairbanks, AK
2149 Posts

Profile of Mr. Woolery
I will love it, I know. Very likely I’ll buy it even if I win it. David has been generous with advice and information in private discussions and I’ve been looking forward to having the money to at least buy something from him in thanks for what he has given me.

I’m actually a little choked up at your offer, 252. That’s really kind of you. The only reason I’m refusing is because this is something I actually want to pay for. If I manage to win, I’m only viewing it as a chance to read before purchasing. I’m reinventing myself in middle age, just spent 4 years with students half my age (including my own son!), and I look forward to being able to put some money into things that matter to me. One of those things is buying from creators who have been generous with me.

David: I struck out on who, because Osterlind really was my guess, but I have two more opportunities and expect to check back after I spend some time in reverie. I’m not quitting. I just had a strong, wrong hunch. But I’m buying it either way.

Patrick
252life
View Profile
Inner circle
Ninth Circle, Hades
3253 Posts

Profile of 252life
My pleasure and I meant it. This is a small community and we all pretty much have a general feel about each other by now.
This is high caliber thinking David’s sharing and deserves a place in your noggin Smile
Congrats again on graduating, I can relate to the age/school thing Smile

-Theodore Annemann
David Thiel
View Profile
Inner circle
4005 Posts

Profile of David Thiel
DAY THREE

Bietfreik: No. I'm sorry. I am not with Celine Dion. You've been eliminated from the "Dinner Companion" competition...but not the "Location."

252: You rock.

Mr. Wollery: You are very kind. That's integrity.

David

JesterAndrus
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of JesterAndrus
Please concentrate on your companion in your mind for a while and remember how she sat next to you. I have the feeling that you enjoyed not only the conversation, but that there is more than just respect for her professional work as an actress. You seem to admire her for something and You seem really light-hearted in her presence. Is that a little smile on your face? I think it attracts you to synchronize with your companion, who gives you such a warm smile that you can't resist. I would feel the same way if I was sitting face-to-face with Julia Roberts.
greerj
View Profile
Loyal user
East Tennessee
283 Posts

Profile of greerj
As you sip your coffee and pay rapt attention to your captivating companion, you don't even register the nip in the air, the beautiful women walking by, leggy and blonde, or most of your surroundings. A once in a lifetime experience, to be taking lunch at a Café outside of the Nobel Prize Museum in Stockholm Sweden.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » My Secret Lunch...OR Let's Have Some Fun AGAIN...or Son of Fun... (33 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL