The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » O**s for Propless Mentalism (38 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Dylenium
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of Dylenium
Hi Everyone,

this is my first post in this forum, so I hope I don't break any rules.

I started with mentalism about half a year ago. First I focused on the classics like 13 steps, pmm etc. but a few days ago I bought my first downloads on propless mentalism. I have always been very fascinated by it and of course wanted to try it out almost instantly. As you propably can already think, I messed it up. Well, I didn't actually mess it up, I nailed the patter and the gesturing and it just didn't work. Now I thought the more experienced people on here maybe have suggestions on how to cover up the fail a bit. I tried "Abstract" and "Wish you were here" by Peter Turner and both failed, which wasnt a disaster but afterwards it was a bit akward even tough I tried to play it off. Do you just switch to a sure fire effect or what do you do in these moments?

Thanks in advance for the answers
David Thiel
View Profile
Inner circle
Western Canada...where all that oil is
4005 Posts

Profile of David Thiel
Hello, Dylenium...

Welcome to the forum!

I offer the following thoughts with respect, because you asked:

1) Propless mentalism is among the most difficult to perform. Much of it depends on a basic understanding of how to use words, many nuances that mentalists learn over time. And downloads, in particular, are notorious for covering the basics of THAT effect and nothing more. (And STARTING with Pete Turner??? Yikes!) I suggest you set the download aside for now and get back to it in a year or so.

2) If you are serious about mentalism -- and brand new to it -- I'd suggest setting 13 Steps aside as well. Put it on a shelf beside PME. Performers often recommend books like these to people who are newer to mentalism. But, trust me, they will make MUCH more sense (meaning you'll only be able to recognize all the golden nuggets hidden in them) once you have a grounding in mentalism and have a better understanding of what it is and how it differs from magic.

Let me suggest that you get four books -- that comprise a great foundation building course in mentalism. Study them like you would any university text. THEN dust off the 13 Steps and PME. These books are:

THE PRINCIPALS OF MENTALISM by Richard Osterlind. It's a slender book that has more practical information packed into it than any other. It's a perfect starting resource.

The Artful Mentalism of Bob Cassidy Volume 2. Here is one of the greatest thinkers of all time sharing techniques, real world methods and brilliantly practical advice. I think this is the greatest book available anywhere on mentalism.

Mentalism Inc by Chuck Hickok. No better book has been issued on the THINKING behind formatting a show than this one. Even if you aren't planning on doing stage shows there's a vast amount of practical information and brilliant thinking about mentalism and how it interacts with audiences. Pay particular attention to how he suggest ordering your show. His writing here made a number of eureka moments explode in my brain when I read it.

Maximum Entertainment by Ken Weber is the greatest book on performing the mystery arts ever written. Practical...brilliant advice on how to entertain.

Seriously. Sit on your own reading this material. Immerse yourself in it. Read it with a highlighter in one hand and a notebook at your elbow. REALLY read this stuff. When you come out on the other side you will know more about the mechanics and philosophies of mentalism than most people actually performing mentalism today.

THEN I strongly suggest that you then watch the top performers -- not to copy what they do -- but to get a sense of how different people approach mentalism. Study Richard Osterlind. Banachek. Docc Hilford. Bob Cassidy. Check out the newer performers as well like Colin Cloud and Pete Turner. Seeing these guys work will give you a perspective on how to approach it.

THEN think back on all of the material you have read and the performers you have watched. I GUARANTEE you that ONE thing will have stood out in your mind as something you absolutely LOVED watching. This will be a thing that really resonated with you. It may be a specific set of effects: Prediction, remote viewing -- empathy...telepathy. There is a great pile of options out there. Pick one.

Force yourself to choose just ONE THING and make it your business to learn it. Drill down to the specific information on that ONE effect. Use everything you have learned in the books and the recorded performances to design YOUR routine around the method or discipline you have chosen. Make what you perform exclusively YOURS -- a reflection of how you view your mentalism.

THEN practice and rehearse it to death -- all on your own. Practice the effect over and over -- as much as you possibly can.

And finally? Perform that effect for people you can trust to tell you the truth and LISTEN to what they say.

IF they ask you 'how you did that trick' you did it wrong because they are seeing you as a magician. The question tells you that they think they saw a magic trick on stage and are just trying to figure out the puzzle you've presented.

IF they come and ask you questions like "How long have you had the Gift" -- go home and break out the champagne...because you're now doing mentalism.

Magic and mentalism are two distantly related but very distinct disciplines. Only studying and performing mentalism will teach that difference.

I understand this isn't the answer you were looking for. But it is THE answer. Mentalism is hard. Doing it well is REALLY hard. But with the proper prep, work and study performing as a mentalist IS possible.

Magicians can do effects where the prop does the acting and the presentation for them. The tuh-duh moment is often build into the structure of the effect. They can have showy props and even pretty assistants. Lights can be flashing...effects exploding.

Mentalists step onto the stage with a paperback...a couple of scraps of paper......maybe a writing pad...and themselves. There are no props to hide behind. Shows are powered by the personality, the creativity -- the whole package of the performer -- and how he or she interacts with an audience, the art they present and the journey they take their audience on.

When you've done ALL of this work go back to the download that started all this and watch it again. I'm betting that a) you will have a much better understanding of it this time and b) you will realize you have already have learned some much better material.

I wish you luck. It sounds like you are committed to the course. Feel free to bring your questions and observations here. We are pulling for you.

David
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except bears. Bears will kill you.

My books are here: www.magicpendulums.com
www.MidnightMagicAndMentalism.com
Dylenium
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of Dylenium
WOW! Thank you very much for your detailed answer. This was way better than what I expected. Also I am surprised that those books were nowhere recommended. Before I bought the books I already have, I looked through different forums, as well as cassidys 39 steps, but never heard of those. I will definitly take a look at them. Now for the thing that propless mentalism is really hard, I already knew that. But since I don't have a magic or sleight of hand background, but acted for over 10 years in the theater (amateur level but still learned a lot) I thought that stuff that evolves around how to use words and the impact they have on the spectator would be perfect for me. But I will trust the more experienced advisor and set it aside for the moment.

have a nice day

Dylan
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10606 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Quote:
On Jun 26, 2020, Dylenium wrote:
But since I don't have a magic or sleight of hand background, but acted for over 10 years in the theater (amateur level but still learned a lot) I thought that stuff that evolves around how to use words and the impact they have on the spectator would be perfect for me.

I know you do not realize it but not having the magic background will actually give you a great advantage in studying and learning mentalism. Some of the best I have trained, represented, or worked with did not come to mentalism through magic and have found it much better and not having to deal with already established magic mindsets, mentalities, beliefs, and habits.

I also think an acting background provides some distinct advantages as well depending on the type of mentalism you are preferring.

Best of luck!
George Hunter
View Profile
Inner circle
2017 Posts

Profile of George Hunter
Dylenium:

Yes, follow David’s map.

George
Joe S.
View Profile
Loyal user
Los Angeles, CA
270 Posts

Profile of Joe S.
And David Thiel wins "Post of the Year"

This is the best advice I've seen in ages. Follow it and you'll be miles ahead. Smile
Mr. Woolery
View Profile
Inner circle
Fairbanks, AK
2149 Posts

Profile of Mr. Woolery
I believe it was in Henning Nelms’ book Magic and Showmanship that I read an anecdote about several magicians attending a play and being amazed by the actor playing the part of a magician. It was a lesson to all of them that stagecraft is at least as valuable as technical competence.

I do think I’d be much better if I’d been able to get some theater training. Still hope to, one of these days.

Patrick
mindmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
London
1740 Posts

Profile of mindmagic
Quote:
On Jun 26, 2020, Mr. Woolery wrote:
I believe it was in Henning Nelms’ book Magic and Showmanship that I read an anecdote about several magicians attending a play and being amazed by the actor playing the part of a magician.

Yes, it's in the first chapter of that book. It's a quote from Harlan Tarbell. The actor playing the magician (Cagliostro) was misdirection - the tricks were really performed by another actor.
Bernice
View Profile
New user
90 Posts

Profile of Bernice
Quote:
On Jun 26, 2020, Dylenium wrote:
I tried "Abstract" and "Wish you were here" by Peter Turner and both failed, which wasnt a disaster but afterwards it was a bit akward even tough I tried to play it off. Do you just switch to a sure fire effect or what do you do in these moments?

I preface most of my "performances" as nothing but tests or experiments. When I fail, which I do often, I just smile, shrug it off and say "Shame, it didn't work.". Then, yes, I go to something with a guaranteed hit to recover my flagging ego!
KieranS
View Profile
New user
21 Posts

Profile of KieranS
David Thiel, WOW. This I the post that I absolutely need right now. Dylenium, I am in a very similar boat to you (Although from the safe distance of 2 meters), In the fact that not only am I fairly new to mentalism, but also posting on this forum. It turns out that, whilst I perhaps wasn't asking the wrong questions, I wasn't asking the right ones that I need to either. You have come along and done it for me so thank you for that. Like you, I went from reading through some of the classics and jumped to purchasing some downloads, not realising that the real key to all of this sits right in the middle of all of that!
Also, A simple but great bit of advice from Bernice. I will defiantly be taking that on board also! Its good to know that I am not the only one failing!!
Dylenium
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of Dylenium
So I just started reading the artfull mentalism of Bob Cassidy Vol.2 and it is amazing! I really have to pace myself down while reading it so I won't just read it in one or two sittings.

@KieranS, the books David wrote about are pretty hard to find since most of them are sould out. But I found a good site to download one of them for a pretty good price, you can PM me if you want to know where Smile
johnhsawyer
View Profile
New user
Florida
52 Posts

Profile of johnhsawyer
@David - fantastic post. You’ve shared that list before and I was lucky enough to purchase a mint set of Mentalism Inc 1 & 2 for my birthday. Thank you for sharing so much.

@Dylennium - I’m reading the same Cassidy book now. Keep an eye out here https://usedmagic.myshopify.com/ and eBay for copies that come available. The 2nd edition of Maximum Entertainment was released recently and easy to find. I found it in Seattle in January at the Pike Place Market magic shop. I found a few treasures there. Good luck on your journey!!

-jhs
johnhsawyer
View Profile
New user
Florida
52 Posts

Profile of johnhsawyer
@Dylennium - I completely forgot there’s a French version for sale now in mint condition in case you want a beautiful hard copy.

https://usedmagic.myshopify.com/products......-cassidy
Dylenium
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of Dylenium
Thanks for the tip. Sadly I don't speak french, but I will keep the site in mind
252life
View Profile
Inner circle
Ninth Circle, Hades
3253 Posts

Profile of 252life
David that post was absolutely fantastic and you did every person that reads it, new through old, a favor.
That advice is GOLD.
Thank you.
Dylenium I'd suggest adding stalking Davids posts to your reading list. People like him are worthy of both ears Smile
Look for all the world like you're counting the brain cells in his cranium.

-Theodore Annemann
IMAGINACIAN
View Profile
Special user
In Your Thots
558 Posts

Profile of IMAGINACIAN
Quote:
On Jun 26, 2020, David Thiel wrote:
Hello, Dylenium...

Welcome to the forum!

I offer the following thoughts with respect, because you asked:

1) Propless mentalism is among the most difficult to perform. Much of it depends on a basic understanding of how to use words, many nuances that mentalists learn over time. And downloads, in particular, are notorious for covering the basics of THAT effect and nothing more. (And STARTING with Pete Turner??? Yikes!) I suggest you set the download aside for now and get back to it in a year or so.

2) If you are serious about mentalism -- and brand new to it -- I'd suggest setting 13 Steps aside as well. Put it on a shelf beside PME. Performers often recommend books like these to people who are newer to mentalism. But, trust me, they will make MUCH more sense (meaning you'll only be able to recognize all the golden nuggets hidden in them) once you have a grounding in mentalism and have a better understanding of what it is and how it differs from magic.

Let me suggest that you get four books -- that comprise a great foundation building course in mentalism. Study them like you would any university text. THEN dust off the 13 Steps and PME. These books are:

THE PRINCIPALS OF MENTALISM by Richard Osterlind. It's a slender book that has more practical information packed into it than any other. It's a perfect starting resource.

The Artful Mentalism of Bob Cassidy Volume 2. Here is one of the greatest thinkers of all time sharing techniques, real world methods and brilliantly practical advice. I think this is the greatest book available anywhere on mentalism.

Mentalism Inc by Chuck Hickok. No better book has been issued on the THINKING behind formatting a show than this one. Even if you aren't planning on doing stage shows there's a vast amount of practical information and brilliant thinking about mentalism and how it interacts with audiences. Pay particular attention to how he suggest ordering your show. His writing here made a number of eureka moments explode in my brain when I read it.

Maximum Entertainment by Ken Weber is the greatest book on performing the mystery arts ever written. Practical...brilliant advice on how to entertain.

Seriously. Sit on your own reading this material. Immerse yourself in it. Read it with a highlighter in one hand and a notebook at your elbow. REALLY read this stuff. When you come out on the other side you will know more about the mechanics and philosophies of mentalism than most people actually performing mentalism today.

THEN I strongly suggest that you then watch the top performers -- not to copy what they do -- but to get a sense of how different people approach mentalism. Study Richard Osterlind. Banachek. Docc Hilford. Bob Cassidy. Check out the newer performers as well like Colin Cloud and Pete Turner. Seeing these guys work will give you a perspective on how to approach it.

THEN think back on all of the material you have read and the performers you have watched. I GUARANTEE you that ONE thing will have stood out in your mind as something you absolutely LOVED watching. This will be a thing that really resonated with you. It may be a specific set of effects: Prediction, remote viewing -- empathy...telepathy. There is a great pile of options out there. Pick one.

Force yourself to choose just ONE THING and make it your business to learn it. Drill down to the specific information on that ONE effect. Use everything you have learned in the books and the recorded performances to design YOUR routine around the method or discipline you have chosen. Make what you perform exclusively YOURS -- a reflection of how you view your mentalism.

THEN practice and rehearse it to death -- all on your own. Practice the effect over and over -- as much as you possibly can.

And finally? Perform that effect for people you can trust to tell you the truth and LISTEN to what they say.

IF they ask you 'how you did that trick' you did it wrong because they are seeing you as a magician. The question tells you that they think they saw a magic trick on stage and are just trying to figure out the puzzle you've presented.

IF they come and ask you questions like "How long have you had the Gift" -- go home and break out the champagne...because you're now doing mentalism.

Magic and mentalism are two distantly related but very distinct disciplines. Only studying and performing mentalism will teach that difference.

I understand this isn't the answer you were looking for. But it is THE answer. Mentalism is hard. Doing it well is REALLY hard. But with the proper prep, work and study performing as a mentalist IS possible.

Magicians can do effects where the prop does the acting and the presentation for them. The tuh-duh moment is often build into the structure of the effect. They can have showy props and even pretty assistants. Lights can be flashing...effects exploding.

Mentalists step onto the stage with a paperback...a couple of scraps of paper......maybe a writing pad...and themselves. There are no props to hide behind. Shows are powered by the personality, the creativity -- the whole package of the performer -- and how he or she interacts with an audience, the art they present and the journey they take their audience on.

When you've done ALL of this work go back to the download that started all this and watch it again. I'm betting that a) you will have a much better understanding of it this time and b) you will realize you have already have learned some much better material.

I wish you luck. It sounds like you are committed to the course. Feel free to bring your questions and observations here. We are pulling for you.

David

Wow....David. The best advise a beginner could ever get and a pro could ever give. A big thumbs up.
There is no better freedom than choice and no better choice than freedom.
IMAGINACIAN
View Profile
Special user
In Your Thots
558 Posts

Profile of IMAGINACIAN
Quote:
On Jul 7, 2020, 252life wrote:
..... People like him are worthy of both ears Smile

And what's in between too Smile
There is no better freedom than choice and no better choice than freedom.
252life
View Profile
Inner circle
Ninth Circle, Hades
3253 Posts

Profile of 252life
Quote:
On Jul 9, 2020, IMAGINACIAN wrote:
Quote:
On Jul 7, 2020, 252life wrote:
..... People like him are worthy of both ears Smile

And what's in between too Smile

Touché and agreed Smile
Look for all the world like you're counting the brain cells in his cranium.

-Theodore Annemann
David Thiel
View Profile
Inner circle
Western Canada...where all that oil is
4005 Posts

Profile of David Thiel
Thank you very much, guys. I appreciate your kind words very much.

I don't make it around here anywhere near as much as I used to so it was a very pleasant surprise to find out I'm not talking to myself. Smile

David
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except bears. Bears will kill you.

My books are here: www.magicpendulums.com
www.MidnightMagicAndMentalism.com
espmagic
View Profile
Special user
979 Posts

Profile of espmagic
Oh, David - you're not talking to yourself, as there are many, many students (myself included!) who listen to your thoughts always, and in all ways...RLD
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » O**s for Propless Mentalism (38 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL