The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Minimum time for daily practice (7 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Alfred Borden
View Profile
New user
39 Posts

Profile of Alfred Borden
Hi,

I have a question about the minimum time you should practice every day - so that the practice makes sense at all.

I am asking this, because at the moment, I am very busy and I have a maximum of 15 minutes per day to practice.

Since this is really not much time, I was wondering, if practicing so little makes sense at all?
Or should I better wait a couple of months with practicing until I have more time to do it?

Thanks.
Mr. Woolery
View Profile
Inner circle
Fairbanks, AK
2122 Posts

Profile of Mr. Woolery
If you enjoy your 15 minutes, yeah, go for it! If it feels like a miserable chore, maybe not so much.

Bottom line, if you spend a short time daily, choose to make it meaningful.

Patrick
Blindside785
View Profile
Inner circle
Olympia, WA
4495 Posts

Profile of Blindside785
I have a 2-year and an 8 month old, work a night job, and am enrolled in College.

I am a testament to multiple quick sessions paying off. I maybe have anywhere from 15-45 minutes to practice while they are napping or occupied.

Make the most use out of it, PLAN IT OUT You have to make it STRUCTURED otherwise you will wast time, make a schedule for the week and break down what you feel you need to work on. You might not achieve everything on the schedule but at least you have a pathway.

If I'm working on something like Richard Osterlind's Watch Routine

Monday - Work on basic moves to get the routine done, A*** N*** P**k, writing down something, business with watch, reveal. 10 minutes
Tuesday - Work on script. 10 minutes
Wednesday - Work on script and movements. 20 minutes
Thursday - Rehearse everything and write down what you need to work on. 15 minutes
Friday - Rehearse everything again >15 minutes....

It's a rough sketch but seriously, you don't have an excuse not to if you have a small chunk of time.

If you have a passion for something you will make time for it.
Nestor D
View Profile
Special user
France (Paris)
818 Posts

Profile of Nestor D
What Blindside785 said. Mindless practice waste most of the time.

Plan things and work in a structured fashion. You can also optimize your workspace to make repeating a move several times as fast as possible.

For single moves, you can also practice without thinking while watching a movie or something like that. It gives you some additional time to get your body familiar with the move.
NeverMind
View Profile
Loyal user
Right up there. On the stage.
263 Posts

Profile of NeverMind
I think there is nothing like minimum daily practice. Your practice must be based on specific moves or effects or tasks - not like a regimen. After you get one down, you can take a break until you feel like taking up the next one. Very sensible advise from Blindside785.
It is better to be trusted than liked.
Under promise. Over perform.
David Thiel
View Profile
Inner circle
Western Canada...where all that oil is
3966 Posts

Profile of David Thiel
Focus really is the key, I think. Decide on something you want to learn and dedicate yourself to learning it.

I find it really hard to turn my brain off once I am thinking about something. If it's an effect...or a book...or a "whatever" it doesn't really matter: I find that even if I am not physically working on a prop or effect I am thinking about it.

Mentalism is at least 50% thinking. Smile

David
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except bears. Bears will kill you.

My books are here: www.magicpendulums.com
www.MidnightMagicAndMentalism.com
Chris K
View Profile
Inner circle
2503 Posts

Profile of Chris K
There are lots of scientific studies, books, and articles around optimizing practice time.

And I can say with 100% certainty that some of the advice here is, and I am being quite literal, among the worst things you can do (even worse, in some instances, than not practicing). Maybe it works for them but I actually doubt they've every done comparisons between practicing style.

So, instead of giving advice without any scientific backup (and that may or may not fly in the face of science, so I'm guessing some are Americans who think they know more than infectious disease experts... maybe they can tell you how car accidents are infectious or something, I don't know how they think), let me just get you started:
https://lmgtfy.com/?q=science+behind+optimizing+practice

and for some of the others here: https://lmgtfy.com/?q=comparing+diseases+to+auto+accidents
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12587 Posts

Profile of John C
Quote:
On Jun 28, 2020, Alfred Borden wrote:
Hi,

I have a question about the minimum time you should practice every day - so that the practice makes sense at all.

I am asking this, because at the moment, I am very busy and I have a maximum of 15 minutes per day to practice.

Since this is really not much time, I was wondering, if practicing so little makes sense at all?
Or should I better wait a couple of months with practicing until I have more time to do it?

Thanks.

My kids right now are 20, 22 and 25. When they were 10, 12 and 15 they all took piano lessons for a year or so. Then they all quit. I told them that they no longer play because they don't sound good and they don't enjoy it.

So that summer I asked them to do something everyday that summer. Do something for just 15 minutes a day. Just 15 minutes a day, that's it.

So they all decided (based on my recommendation) to play piano for 15 minutes everyday. I didn't care what they played, play chop sticks, play from a book, play from youtube. Just sit there at the piano for 15 minutes. They did.

Now two of them play piano. My son is real good and we play together. I play guitar and he plays piano along with it. Although he gets mad because all I play is the blues and he wants to play some complex classical piano music. haha

My older daughter also plays

My younger daughter? Well she's another story. I always say she doesn't even listen to right music.

But the point is you can do a lot in 15 minutes a day if you want.

Although I don't necessarily believe you only have 15 minutes a day. But who am I? Nobody! So if it's 15 minutes you have then go at it.
The ULTIMATE Routine Series: rebirth soon!
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
12587 Posts

Profile of John C
Quote:
On Jul 2, 2020, Chris K wrote:
There are lots of scientific studies, books, and articles around optimizing practice time.

And I can say with 100% certainty that some of the advice here is, and I am being quite literal, among the worst things you can do (even worse, in some instances, than not practicing). Maybe it works for them but I actually doubt they've every done comparisons between practicing style.

So, instead of giving advice without any scientific backup (and that may or may not fly in the face of science, so I'm guessing some are Americans who think they know more than infectious disease experts... maybe they can tell you how car accidents are infectious or something, I don't know how they think), let me just get you started:
https://lmgtfy.com/?q=science+behind+optimizing+practice

and for some of the others here: https://lmgtfy.com/?q=comparing+diseases+to+auto+accidents

Hey, wait a minute. I'm American. Was I just insulted! Good thing I practice (right or wrong) the fine art of patience.
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
12587 Posts

Profile of John C
Oh and also I would like to add (even though it's not scientific and I am American) something I heard Bob Sheets say once.

He said that he always has something set up in the house. And whenever he walks by it he practices it for a few minutes.

Like he may have cups and balls set up on a table.

Whenever he walks by the table he does some cups and balls moves. I always thought that was interesting. And God knows, Bob Sheets is a master.
IMAGINACIAN
View Profile
Special user
In Your Thots
544 Posts

Profile of IMAGINACIAN
Although purely my personal opinion based on personal experience related to my professional performances in my professional life, I think about 25 hours a day may be just about right.
There is no better freedom than choice and no better choice than freedom.
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
12587 Posts

Profile of John C
Sounds professionally personal. Or personally professional.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Minimum time for daily practice (7 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL