The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Did you hear the latest? » » The Great Marvyn Roy has passed away..... (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

JNeal
View Profile
Inner circle
I used to have 999 posts, now I have
1622 Posts

Profile of JNeal
Stan Alan has posted this:

Marvyn Roy, known to the world as “Mr. Electric,” passed away on July 1, 2020, after suffering a stroke. He was 95.
Marvyn and his wife Carol (1929-2009) were one of magic’s busiest acts for over 50 years. They traveled to Paris for the Lido show, toured Russia with Ed Sullivan, and played The Palladium in London. Back home, it was Radio City Music Hall and, of course, Las Vegas.

Aside from his global success, Marvyn Roy offered inspiration to generations of up-and-coming magicians. I know, because I’m one of them.
Marvyn was also a great friend of MAGIC Live, having attended most all of them. When he wasn’t taking part onstage, he would regularly be stopped in the halls to regale passersby with tales of an extraordinary life in magic.
visit me @ JNealShow.com
Jerskin
View Profile
Inner circle
2496 Posts

Profile of Jerskin
I tell everyone to read MR ELECTRIC UNPLUGGED.
I did a gig with him once, he told me no one had stolen his act mainly because it was too much trouble.
GrEg oTtO

MUNDUS VULT DECIPI
JNeal
View Profile
Inner circle
1622 Posts

Profile of JNeal
I was lucky enough to do many shows with him and even a few tours... He was REAL OLD TIME show biz... He knew the ins and outs of that craft very well.
The real secret t his act was Marvyn himself...his energy and drive to succeed... and of course Carol, his wife who taught him a thing or two about preforming.

They are both very much missed.
visit me @ JNealShow.com
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6135 Posts

Profile of motown
Like Norm Nielsen, Marvyn was a talented and unique performer, who's talents will me missed.

RIP Marvyn
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
magicnewswire
View Profile
Inner circle
1947 Posts

Profile of magicnewswire
I was incredibly sad to hear of this last night. I pulled the interview that I did with Marvyn in 2009 and re-edited it to removed the ads and saved only the conversation which was as fantastic as he always was. You will be missed Marvyn.
http://mnw.squarespace.com/magicnewsfeed......roy.html
Dodd Vickers

Host/Producer/Editor

The Magic Newswire

Twitter

iTunes Link
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4854 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
I only met him once but it was memorable. It was at a convention lecture. He came up and asked if it would be alright if he sat next to me. We talked for a long time (not during the lecture) and he was just one of the guys. It was the beginning of a tremendous friendship and I'll miss him greatly.
Where the magic begins
MJE
View Profile
Elite user
After all these years,I STILL have only
409 Posts

Profile of MJE
Quote:
I pulled the interview that I did with Marvyn in 2009 and re-edited it to removed the ads and saved only the conversation which was as fantastic as he always was. Yl

Thank you for that! A very good conversation.
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
2328 Posts

Profile of David Todd
Quote:
On Jul 2, 2020, magicnewswire wrote:
I was incredibly sad to hear of this last night. I pulled the interview that I did with Marvyn in 2009 and re-edited it to removed the ads and saved only the conversation which was as fantastic as he always was. You will be missed Marvyn.
http://mnw.squarespace.com/magicnewsfeed......roy.html

Hard to believe Marvyn Roy has left us. When someone lives as long as he does you just keep thinking he'll always be there. Although I never met them, Marvyn and Carol Roy always loomed large in the world of magic as I discovered it in the pages of Genii magazine in the early 1970's. I recall seeing them several times in television appearances (Merv Griffin Show, The Tonight Show , maybe one of the many magic Specials that were broadcast in the 1970's), but never had the opportunity to see them perform live.

Thank you for re-posting that conversation with Marvyn Roy, Dodd.

There is video of Marvyn Roy being interviewed by Mike Caveney posted here: http://www.magicconvention.com/video/marvyn-roy/
Marvyn's continued enthusiasm for magic expressed in the interview is wonderful. There is no cynical "I've been there , done that , it's over, you missed the glory days, kids, forget about it, you'll never be as good as we were" attitude. He's so inspirational the way he urges magicians to strive for excellence and keep working hard to develop their craft to the highest level.

Also, if you're a member of Jeff Hobson's 'Hobson's Choice Magic Video Theater' you can see video of Marvyn & Carol Roy's appearance on The Tonight Show with Johnny Carson in 1970.
To sign up for Hobson's Choice (it's free) go here:

https://mailchi.mp/6f9b1938837d/hobsons-......r-signup

Jeff Hobson has posted a lot of rare video there , so it's worth your time to sign up.

-----

Finally, a question for anyone who might know:

What is the name of the music that the Roy's used in their act (c. 1960) , starting at the 5:25 mark - through - 6:30 in this video:

https://youtu.be/COX8m8U3fVE?t=325

Magic Mark
View Profile
Inner circle
After this post I will have
1526 Posts

Profile of Magic Mark
Mr. Electric and Carol were major inspirations in my youth. I was too young to remember their first performance on Ed Sullivan (1958) but I do remember seeing them on Ed Sullivan in the 1960s and other shows in the 1970s. And I remember seeing them perform with Liberace. Marvyn's Magical Jeweler routine was a favorite of mine.

I've been reading about Marvyn & Carol in back issues of Genii and Magic Magazine. Those articles whetted my appetite for more Mr. Electric & Carol history. Marvyn's book is out of print but, much to my delight, Mike Caveney discovered a few extra copies just yesterday and I was able to order one. Signed copies, no less. So, I'm pretty thrilled that I have a copy of Mr. Electric Unplugged on its way to me with Marvyn's signature inside. Smile

A major highlight for me was finally meeting Marvyn in 2019, about a year before he passed. I feel very lucky that I happened to join friends at a Palm Springs Ring meeting that day.

Mark
Doing tricks can be easy, being an entertainer is much harder.
Ray Pierce
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2604 Posts

Profile of Ray Pierce
I can only tell you the many hours that JNeal and I spent watching Marvyn and Carol from backstage studying every move and wonderful beat of their act. It was truly a Master Class on performance and showmanship. He always called us “his boys” and was such an amazing teacher and mentor in so many ways. I’m so thankful for all the time and experiences we shared.
Ray Pierce
JNeal
View Profile
Inner circle
1622 Posts

Profile of JNeal
Ray, I remember so well on that Canadian tour of yours that we all were on (incl. Marvyn and Joseph Gabriel) and everytime he would get on the tourbus... we 'young kids' would quietly hum the theme to 'The Godfather' as he entered the bus. Cuz' that's who he was to us; a Godfather and sage of our craft!
visit me @ JNealShow.com
Magic Mark
View Profile
Inner circle
After this post I will have
1526 Posts

Profile of Magic Mark
The Magic Live 2004 interview (Mike Caveney interviews Marvyn) that David linked above is fabulous! Marvyn and Carol were a wonderful and energetic couple. Talk about someone who absolutely loved the art of magic!

Mark
Doing tricks can be easy, being an entertainer is much harder.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Did you hear the latest? » » The Great Marvyn Roy has passed away..... (4 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL