We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Sleightless stacked work (9 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
mlippo
View Profile
Inner circle
Trieste (Italy)
1117 Posts

Profile of mlippo
Quote:
On Mar 1, 2021, brianconnor wrote:
Quote:
On Feb 28, 2021, WayneBurrows wrote:
Quote:
On Jul 7, 2020, brianconnor wrote:
Matt Baker's Card College

Is there a video or description (not explanation) of this effect somewhere accessible.

The premise is that you went to card college and explain the different things you need to do to get your bachelor's, master's, and phd. For a bachelor's degree, estimation is really important, so you have a spectator cut off about half the cards and you tell them exactly how many cards they cut.

For a master's degree, they require you to have a spectator shuffle, so you have them riffle shuffle the cards. Then you demonstrate what's called blind estimation. They again cut off about half, but this time with your back turned, and hide their cards in their pocket so you can't see them. If you were to turn around, you might be able to estimate how many cards are left and subtract that from 52 to figure out what they have, so you have them cut about half of what's left, hand it to you, and put the rest in the card box.

Impossibly, you are able to tell them exactly how many cards they have in their pocket.

For your phd, you have to do what's called rapid memorization. At this point, you have seen the faces of all the cards, except for the ones in the card box. You turn around, they take out the cards, and you name every single one.

This is a masterpiece (as I wrote earlier in this thread).

I did not use Baker's presentation...
My ideas is to show what we magicians do as warm up, before going on stage. We call another magician to help us.
The spectator would take the role of the helper magician
I the go into Matt's routine, but adding an extra "weighing the cards" phase at the beginning. So I actually guess the number of cards in a cut off packet twice rather than once. I really felt it is one of those case where you need to repeat the effect.

And I don't use the "memorisation" idea.. rather I am able to feel how many cards in the pocket and which cards are in the box...

MArk
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Sleightless stacked work (9 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.07 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL