The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Recos for cover tricks for spread cull? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

iaind
View Profile
New user
17 Posts

Profile of iaind
Hi, I'm hoping to get some recos on tricks to learn that provide a good excuse for a leisurely face up spread through the cards, to be used as an excuse for culling cards into position for subsequent tricks. Things that require one to say, get all the jacks, or all the black cards, or whatever. If you have favs you'd like to share, I'm all ears. Recos on resources to learn them from and key sleights appreciated too!

thanks
iain
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
What are recos?
iaind
View Profile
New user
17 Posts

Profile of iaind
Oh sorry, recommendations. I will edit the post for clarity. thanks
iaind
View Profile
New user
17 Posts

Profile of iaind
Huh, I guess that's not possible.
horriblyhonest
View Profile
New user
9 Posts

Profile of horriblyhonest
Roy Walton's Smiling Mule.
ASW
View Profile
Inner circle
1879 Posts

Profile of ASW
Any trick where you first establish a reason for looking through the deck:

First let’s remove the jokers;

Okay let’s use the four queens;

Give me 15 seconds to memorise the order of each and every card in this deck;

Etc
Whenever I find myself gripping anything too tightly I just ask myself "How would Guy Hollingworth hold this?"

A magician on the Genii Forum

"I would respect VIPs if they respect history."

Hideo Kato
iaind
View Profile
New user
17 Posts

Profile of iaind
Thanks HorriblyHonest, I had not seen that yet. That's really nice.
Yehuda
View Profile
Elite user
413 Posts

Profile of Yehuda
Years ago Allan Ackerman showed me a culling method of Bro. John Hamman's that hadn't been published by Hamman. The basic application is to secretly cull one four-of-a-kind as you openly remove another four-of-a-kind from the deck, but obviously there are other uses. It was eventually published in Magic magazine, February 2007 ("Expertalk").

It's not even a Hofzinser-style spread cull; it's a different technique that's technically easy to do, and you just need to get the hang of using it. Not sure if it will suit your purposes, but it's worthwhile to know.

Yehuda
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Quote:
On Jul 4, 2020, Yehuda wrote:
Years ago Allan Ackerman showed me a culling method of Bro. John Hamman's that hadn't been published by Hamman. The basic application is to secretly cull one four-of-a-kind as you openly remove another four-of-a-kind from the deck, but obviously there are other uses. It was eventually published in Magic magazine, February 2007 ("Expertalk").

It's not even a Hofzinser-style spread cull; it's a different technique that's technically easy to do, and you just need to get the hang of using it. Not sure if it will suit your purposes, but it's worthwhile to know.

Yehuda

Thanks for that, Yehuda. Very interesting.
iaind
View Profile
New user
17 Posts

Profile of iaind
Thanks, that's exactly the kind of tip I was hoping for. Smile
jkr
View Profile
Regular user
Mn
147 Posts

Profile of jkr
Ackerman published a cull in “Card Theatre” called Brother John’s Cull. Sounds like the same cull Yehuda describes. “Card Theatre” can be purchased directly from Allen. It’s a great set of notes!
iaind
View Profile
New user
17 Posts

Profile of iaind
Ah, I have heard of "Brother John's Cull". I'll look up Card Theatre, thank you.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Recos for cover tricks for spread cull? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL