The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Chinese wedding coin (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

griz326
View Profile
Regular user
Eureka, Montana
129 Posts

Profile of griz326
Chinese "Wedding" coin.

I have one of these from the early 50s. It is made of some sort of pot metal, has a square hole, Chinese characters on one side, and four images of a couples on the other.

My wife is from Guangxi, so I do a fair amount of Chinese themed magic. I had visions of incorporating it into my version of Troy's "Charming Chinese Challenge." Unfortunately, the coin is much larger than a Morgan and the couple's images are raised. (PIX to come)

I'm wondering if anyone has found these coins in a more standard size?
griz326
View Profile
Regular user
Eureka, Montana
129 Posts

Profile of griz326
Wedding coin picture.

Click here to view attached image.
webtech
View Profile
Regular user
185 Posts

Profile of webtech
A friend of mine's dad was in the Vietnam war and he showed me a coin like this about 30 years ago. I was a kid. And he told me that the coin was purchased in a brothel or bar and you would use the coin to pay for sex with the prostitutes or dancers that were in there as well. It was a long time ago so I may be wrong but he did show me a coin like this. Very cool. Would you ever consider selling or trade?
griz326
View Profile
Regular user
Eureka, Montana
129 Posts

Profile of griz326
>>>...the coin was purchased in a brothel or bar and you would use the coin to pay for hostesses...
>>>Would you ever consider selling or trade?

I won't sell it because I'll use it in a magic routine.
If I can get this coin duplicated in a $1 or .50 size, I'll be selling them Smile
griz326
View Profile
Regular user
Eureka, Montana
129 Posts

Profile of griz326
Bought a bunch of these to do "Miracle Pickpocket" by R. Paul Wilson. A nice routine which has a special kick if someone notices the coins Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Chinese wedding coin (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL