The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Harry Robsons roughing stick question (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Jaysterio
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of Jaysterio
Hello! I have been trying to use the roughing stick to create a deck where all the cards are roughed only on one side. I want to be able to spread the deck on the table normally, but when a card/cards are turned upside down I want the card to stick to the next card (when the roughed sides touch). My problem after the first try of using the roughing stick is that all the cards seem to stick together. That is, the cards stick together even if only one of the touching surfaces is roughed with the stick.

Can I use the stick to accomplish what I want or is a roughing spary the only solution? Or should I try to let the cards dry for a longer period? I used medium pressure when applying. The roughed cards feel very sticky... my problem could also be that I used a worn out deck. Could this be an issue?

Jay
Nikodemus
View Profile
Inner circle
1172 Posts

Profile of Nikodemus
I have never used the stick, but I have read that it only needs to be applied to ONE card to work. This is same as Science Friction, but different from roughing sprays.
Obviously sometimes we want cards to stick, and sometimes we want to be able to separate them.
The answer is to apply in a pattern, so that they will stick or separate according to where you press.
Jaysterio
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of Jaysterio
Thanks! It seems that a spray of some sorts is the solution, because I want the cards to behave and spread in a normal way until some card/cards are turned face down, and then this would cause two roughed sides to contact and these cards stick together. The stick, as you said, makes a non-roughed card side stick to a roughed side.

Now the biggest problem is then the fact that e.g Krylon Matte Finish or Testor brands are not available in my country. Any magicians from Finland reading this? Smile
MBAgamer
View Profile
Regular user
108 Posts

Profile of MBAgamer
Yes, you would need a roughing spray of some sort. When it comes to Robson's roughing stick, it only needs to be applied on one surface for it to work. That is, a roughed and a non-roughed surface will stick together. Presumably you're looking for something that ONLY allows a roughed and a roughed surface to stick (so that a roughed and a non-roughed surface don't stick).
jim ferguson
View Profile
Veteran user
Ayrshire, Scotland
386 Posts

Profile of jim ferguson
Hi.

If the roughing is required on the backs of the cards, you could just buy an "invisible deck", and arrange the cards all the same way. It would handle more or less like a normal deck, and can be shuffled etc. But if one (or more) card is turned over it will adhere to the next card.

Jim
jack_shields
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of jack_shields
This is an outstanding bit of kit btw.

Best roughing stuff for the price, works perfectly and lasts aaaaages.
Kind regards
Jack
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Quote:
On Aug 20, 2020, jack_shields wrote:

True but... Cody Fisher's magic wand
https://www.codyfisher.com/product-page/magic-card-wand will give it a good run for its money. I have both but am liking Cody's wand better every day.
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
rowdymagi5
View Profile
Inner circle
Virginia
3623 Posts

Profile of rowdymagi5
Quote:
On Aug 20, 2020, Poof-Daddy wrote:
Quote:
On Aug 20, 2020, jack_shields wrote:

True but... Cody Fisher's magic wand
https://www.codyfisher.com/product-page/magic-card-wand will give it a good run for its money. I have both but am liking Cody's wand better every day.

I just ordered this based on your recommendation. I look forward to giving it a try!
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
It is pretty good. I really enjoy his super in depth video on almost every adhesive on the market and why they are good or bad for certain applications. Although I don’t agree 100% with his every decision, I think most have a place in one situation or another (and some are total junk).
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
countrymaven
View Profile
Inner circle
1428 Posts

Profile of countrymaven
Thanks Poof, I had heard that Robsons stick didn't last long. But my luck with trying to apply the spray stuff was no good.

So I will definitely pursue this. I appreciate when people have also gotten a few dead ends, but have found something that also works and have recommended it.
eagle2911
View Profile
New user
Dorset, UK
17 Posts

Profile of eagle2911
I have a Robson Roughing Stick that has gone rock hard, in spite of being wrapped up. Does anyone know a solvent that will soften it?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Harry Robsons roughing stick question (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL