The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » How Stuff Works (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3469 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Marlana and I just got back from a short camping trip. In our kit we had a propane lantern, and Marlana and I were wondering exactly how the mantle in such a lantern works. What we knew was that the mantles start as silk mesh bags. We'd been told that when you light them they turn to ash and that that ash is what glows and produces the light. But we weren't convinced.

I just learned how they really work. The silk is impregnated with various metal oxides; the most common is a mixture of thorium oxide, cerium oxide, and magnesium oxide. When you light the mantle initially, the silk burns away, leaving the oxides as a fine ceramic mesh. When heated by the burning propane, the ceramic glows; because it's such a fine mesh it has lots of surface area, so it glows extremely bright.

I thought that that was kind of, you'll forgive the expression, cool!

So . . . have any of y'all learned how something works that you found really interesting? If so, please enlighten us! (Sorry.)
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2489 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
I love learning stuff like that. I also love the TV show "How Things are Made."

Thanks for the info....
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16198 Posts

Profile of tommy
It amazes me how people ever come up with this kind of invention in the first place.

All I know is how a couple of card tricks work but if I told you I would have to kill you.

I just fitting some new lights in the kitchen and they are not working yet.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3469 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On Jul 12, 2020, tommy wrote:
I just fitting some new lights in the kitchen and they are not working yet.

Have you considered propane lanterns?

They work.
slowkneenuh
View Profile
Regular user
After 5,278+ posts, only credited with
129 Posts

Profile of slowkneenuh
I'm fascinated by the human body from conception to death. There are statistics almost impossible to fathom. An example is the heart beats 100,000 times per day and pumps 2,000 gallons of blood daily.
John

"A poor workman always blames his tools"
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
When I played soccer, I hit
1823 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
Speaking of the heart, I was fascinated to discover recently that a hummingbird’s heart rate varies from about 250 beats per minute (when at rest), to over 1200 beats per minute when feeding. That’s compared to the human heart rate of about 60 - 100 bpm when resting.
Arthur Stead
royalty-free music and interactive routines
www.arthurstead.com
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3469 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On Jul 13, 2020, arthur stead wrote:
Speaking of the heart, I was fascinated to discover recently that a hummingbird’s heart rate varies from about 250 beats per minute (when at rest), to over 1200 beats per minute when feeding. That’s compared to the human heart rate of about 60 - 100 bpm when resting.

Last night my wife watched a program on Amazon about hummingbirds, narrated by David Attenborough. He said that their resting heartbeat was 400 bpm (though I suspect that it varies amongst species), that it went up to 1,200 bpm when in flight, and down to 40 bpm at night when they're in torpor (essentially, short-term hibernation). He also said that in flight their hearts increase in size, and that a heart-to-lungs-to-heart-to-muscles-to-heart round-trip takes only one second.

Wow!
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16198 Posts

Profile of tommy
Once upon a time fellows knew their car engines.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
slowkneenuh
View Profile
Regular user
129 Posts

Profile of slowkneenuh
I've never once looked under the hood of my last two cars and for both of them I would also have to check the manual to find and use the spare tire.
John

landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5015 Posts

Profile of landmark
No matter what goes wrong with my car, when I get it back from the mechanic the cost is always $467.92.
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
1823 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
Last time I traded in my car at my dealer for a newer model, I actually completely forgot to look under the hood! Only realized it a few days after making the purchase.
Arthur Stead
www.arthurstead.com
karnak
View Profile
Special user
Colorado
617 Posts

Profile of karnak
After you drove it home from the dealership, and finally looked under the hood, did it have an engine?
For a supernatural chiller mixing magic (prestidigitation, legerdemain) with Magic (occultism, mysticism), check out my novel MAGIC: AN OCCULT THRILLER at http://www.amazon.com/Magic-Occult-Thriller-Reed-Hall/dp/1453874836
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
1823 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
Believe it or not, yes!

Since I know nothing about engines, and I have a service plan with my car dealer, I’ve never had occasion to lift the hoods of my cars. Although when buying or trading (upgrading to a newer model) in the past, I have always looked under the hood before driving my new purchase off the premises. That is, until the last time!
Arthur Stead
www.arthurstead.com
karnak
View Profile
Special user
Colorado
617 Posts

Profile of karnak
These days, peeking under the hood, I wouldn't even know what I was looking at.
For a supernatural chiller mixing magic (prestidigitation, legerdemain) with Magic (occultism, mysticism), check out my novel MAGIC: AN OCCULT THRILLER at http://www.amazon.com/Magic-Occult-Thriller-Reed-Hall/dp/1453874836
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
1823 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
Although I’ve never understood motor car engines, combustion, etc., it seemed simple enough in the Hippie Days to be able to improvise some minor repairs on my Volkswagen Combi (with the VW sign on the front reshaped into a Peace sign). Nowadays I don’t have a clue.
Arthur Stead
www.arthurstead.com
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16198 Posts

Profile of tommy
It is a mystery to me how hippies worked because they never did.

Tommy
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
1823 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
In an attempt to steer this thread back to what I hope S2000magician’s original concept was:

I remember how amazed I was when MIDI technology was released in the early 1980’s. MIDI (which is an acronym for Musical Instrument Digital Interface) is a technical standard that describes a communications protocol which connects electronic musical instruments, computers & audio devices for playing, editing and recording music.

A single MIDI link through a MIDI cable could carry up to sixteen channels of information, each of which could be routed to a separate device or instrument. This could be sixteen different digital instruments, for example. MIDI also carries event messages; data that specify the instructions for music, including a note's pitch, velocity, duration, vibrato, panning, and so on.

Although I confess I still don’t quite understand how it works, MIDI forever changed the way music was created, especially for composer/arrangers like myself.
Arthur Stead
www.arthurstead.com
slowkneenuh
View Profile
Regular user
129 Posts

Profile of slowkneenuh
"The iPhone in your pocket has over 100,000 times the processing power of the computer that landed man on the moon 50 years ago".
John

R.S.
View Profile
Loyal user
CT one day I'll have
201 Posts

Profile of R.S.
Virtually every single atom in your body came from a star that exploded.

Ron
"It is error only, and not truth, that shrinks from inquiry." Thomas Paine
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
1823 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
That’s one way of looking at it. Some people believe we, and the material universe, were created by an all-powerful Omniscient Being. Others believe that our souls descended from far subtler planes of consciousness, where atoms do not exist.
Arthur Stead
www.arthurstead.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » How Stuff Works (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL