The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » How Stuff Works (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
When I played soccer, I hit
1823 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
OK, Ron … with no disrespect (which was never intended to begin with) … All I did was to put forth other possibilities. You are obviously convinced that what you stated about stars, atoms, etc. is a FACT. (I don’t know how to italicize on the Café, which is why I used caps to add emphasis … no disrespect).

But no matter how blindly you believe that (no disrespect, just an expression) … you cannot know for sure. You weren’t there at the Big Bang. So you have no direct personal experience of such an event. All you have is someone else’s theory about it. And therein lies the rub. It is just as valid for someone else to claim that there are other parts which make up the human body. And, for that matter, other realities beyond the physical universe.

The problem might simply be that you’re only looking in in one direction. To do astrological research, you have to explore outwards. Whereas to discover spiritual truths, you have to search within.

Now can we please enjoy Bill’s thread without any more challenges? (No disrespect).

Arthur
Arthur Stead
royalty-free music and interactive routines
www.arthurstead.com
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16203 Posts

Profile of tommy
We don't know many things directly but we can infer. All things are created by a crossing of opposite. Creation impplies synthesis. The magic moment we create is a synthesis of fiction and fact.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
R.S.
View Profile
Loyal user
CT one day I'll have
201 Posts

Profile of R.S.
Quote:
On Jul 20, 2020, arthur stead wrote:
OK, Ron … with no disrespect (which was never intended to begin with) … All I did was to put forth other possibilities. You are obviously convinced that what you stated about stars, atoms, etc. is a FACT. (I don’t know how to italicize on the Café, which is why I used caps to add emphasis … no disrespect).

But no matter how blindly you believe that (no disrespect, just an expression) … you cannot know for sure. You weren’t there at the Big Bang. So you have no direct personal experience of such an event. All you have is someone else’s theory about it. And therein lies the rub. It is just as valid for someone else to claim that there are other parts which make up the human body. And, for that matter, other realities beyond the physical universe.

The problem might simply be that you’re only looking in in one direction. To do astrological research, you have to explore outwards. Whereas to discover spiritual truths, you have to search within.

Now can we please enjoy Bill’s thread without any more challenges? (No disrespect).

Arthur


Arthur, you did it again! You could have PM’d this to me as I repeatedly urged you to, but instead you chose to post it here and then not give me the chance to respond by requesting that we “respect Bill’s thread.” Don’t you see how disingenuous you’re being?

Anyway, I will now PM YOU! Because not only is there so much here to unpack, but I do find the subject matter fascinating and I really do want to get your perspective.

Thanks.
Ron
"It is error only, and not truth, that shrinks from inquiry." Thomas Paine
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
When I played soccer, I hit
1823 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
Ron,

What part of "I'm not interested" don't you understand? Do not PM me again, or I will report you for harassment.

Arthur

Let's get back to the subject f Bill's thread, you guys.
Arthur Stead
royalty-free music and interactive routines
www.arthurstead.com
R.S.
View Profile
Loyal user
CT one day I'll have
201 Posts

Profile of R.S.
Quote:
On Jul 21, 2020, arthur stead wrote:
Ron,

What part of "I'm not interested" don't you understand? Do not PM me again, or I will report you for harassment.

Arthur

Let's get back to the subject f Bill's thread, you guys.


Arthur,

If you truly weren’t interested you wouldn’t have responded to me 4 times - complete with musings and personal anecdotes. I was giving you the benefit of the doubt, but now it’s abundantly clear that you WERE interested, but only to delegitimize/marginalize my original post without having to substantiate any of your claims. Then when you got pressed on your claims and could no longer defend yourself you resorted to playing the “don’t interrupt the thread” game. I also noticed that, of all the posts in this thread, mine was the only one you singled out to say “that’s one way of looking at it.” At any rate, I should be the one reporting YOU for harassment – especially when I implored you over and over and OVER to move the conversation to PM but you stubbornly and childishly refused to do so. We could have resolved things quickly there, but now you’re making a show of playing victim. Give me a break. And grow up. Anybody who's threatened by mere questions shows a great deal of immaturity and insecurity.

Anyway, reiterating my “cool fact” to the thread:

“Virtually every single atom in your body came from a star that exploded.”

Ron
"It is error only, and not truth, that shrinks from inquiry." Thomas Paine
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1191 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Economists are well aware that people's willingness to pay for essentially identical products varies quite a bit. If they only had one of a particular sort of item, that would pose a problem; if person A is willing to pay $100 for an item that person B is willing to pay $150 for, you could charge $150, but then A won't buy it. Or you could charge $100, and they'd both buy it, but you'd be leaving $50 on the table from person B. So they come out with multiple products that are similar but not identical; if there's a plausible incentive to get B to pay the $150, you get the best of both worlds (A buys a $3.00 cup of coffee, but B buys the $4.00 cup that is produced in some environmentally-friendly-to-the-rain-forest way, for instance).

All of which is background to the story I read once in an economics-for-non-economists book: Company X put out two printers. I don't remember the numbers, so I'm making them up, but you'll get the point. One model costs $75 and prints 20 pages per minute; the other costs $100 and prints 30 pages per minute. Here comes the "How things work" part. If you saw the models, you might think that first they developed the low-output model, then they worked on it some more and figured out a way to make it more productive. And you'd be wrong. They developed a printer that could always print 30 pages per minute; then they deliberately jacked up an alternate model to reduce its productivity; by having a lesser model, they justified the Bs' of the world's willingness to pay more, while at the same time offering a lesser model withing the As' budgets.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5018 Posts

Profile of landmark
Yes, similar deliberate crippling of power in computer chips. IIRC, Intel and Apple have both pulled that stunt.
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
When I played soccer, I hit
1823 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
Quote:
On Jul 21, 2020, R.S. wrote:

Arthur,

If you truly weren’t interested you wouldn’t have responded to me 4 times - complete with musings and personal anecdotes. I was giving you the benefit of the doubt, but now it’s abundantly clear that you WERE interested, but only to delegitimize/marginalize my original post without having to substantiate any of your claims. Then when you got pressed on your claims and could no longer defend yourself you resorted to playing the “don’t interrupt the thread” game. I also noticed that, of all the posts in this thread, mine was the only one you singled out to say “that’s one way of looking at it.” At any rate, I should be the one reporting YOU for harassment – especially when I implored you over and over and OVER to move the conversation to PM but you stubbornly and childishly refused to do so. We could have resolved things quickly there, but now you’re making a show of playing victim. Give me a break. And grow up. Anybody who's threatened by mere questions shows a great deal of immaturity and insecurity.

Anyway, reiterating my “cool fact” to the thread:

“Virtually every single atom in your body came from a star that exploded.”

Ron


Dear Ron,

I can’t thank you enough for helping me come to my senses. By looking back at all your posts in this thread, and especially re-reading the last one, my lack of understanding has been fully exposed.

You are, of course, 100% correct. It was immature of me to suggest that there could be any other way of thinking besides yours. It was foolish for me to even presume that different theories existed, and for that I must apologize. I am truly sorry.

How can I ever forgive myself for being so stubborn and insecure? I acted like a child, and I’m so grateful for your persistence in showing me the error of my ways. If only I had known you were such an expert on all the topics we covered, I would never have offered any opinions at all.

But rest assured, now that I’ve been made aware of your incomparable intellect and complete grasp of everything pertaining to this universe and beyond, I promise never to engage you in any future posts. I’ve learned my lesson, and that is to keep my mouth shut when encountering true greatness.

I bow to your superior knowledge.

Arthur
Arthur Stead
royalty-free music and interactive routines
www.arthurstead.com
R.S.
View Profile
Loyal user
CT one day I'll have
201 Posts

Profile of R.S.
Quote:
On Jul 21, 2020, arthur stead wrote:
Quote:
On Jul 21, 2020, R.S. wrote:

Arthur,

If you truly weren’t interested you wouldn’t have responded to me 4 times - complete with musings and personal anecdotes. I was giving you the benefit of the doubt, but now it’s abundantly clear that you WERE interested, but only to delegitimize/marginalize my original post without having to substantiate any of your claims. Then when you got pressed on your claims and could no longer defend yourself you resorted to playing the “don’t interrupt the thread” game. I also noticed that, of all the posts in this thread, mine was the only one you singled out to say “that’s one way of looking at it.” At any rate, I should be the one reporting YOU for harassment – especially when I implored you over and over and OVER to move the conversation to PM but you stubbornly and childishly refused to do so. We could have resolved things quickly there, but now you’re making a show of playing victim. Give me a break. And grow up. Anybody who's threatened by mere questions shows a great deal of immaturity and insecurity.

Anyway, reiterating my “cool fact” to the thread:

“Virtually every single atom in your body came from a star that exploded.”

Ron


Dear Ron,

I can’t thank you enough for helping me come to my senses. By looking back at all your posts in this thread, and especially re-reading the last one, my lack of understanding has been fully exposed.

You are, of course, 100% correct. It was immature of me to suggest that there could be any other way of thinking besides yours. It was foolish for me to even presume that different theories existed, and for that I must apologize. I am truly sorry.

How can I ever forgive myself for being so stubborn and insecure? I acted like a child, and I’m so grateful for your persistence in showing me the error of my ways. If only I had known you were such an expert on all the topics we covered, I would never have offered any opinions at all.

But rest assured, now that I’ve been made aware of your incomparable intellect and complete grasp of everything pertaining to this universe and beyond, I promise never to engage you in any future posts. I’ve learned my lesson, and that is to keep my mouth shut when encountering true greatness.

I bow to your superior knowledge.

Arthur


Arthur,

Now would be a good time to stop with your nonsense. You've been exposed and it's over. Leave it alone.

Ron
"It is error only, and not truth, that shrinks from inquiry." Thomas Paine
R.S.
View Profile
Loyal user
CT one day I'll have
201 Posts

Profile of R.S.
Quote:
On Jul 21, 2020, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Economists are well aware that people's willingness to pay for essentially identical products varies quite a bit. If they only had one of a particular sort of item, that would pose a problem; if person A is willing to pay $100 for an item that person B is willing to pay $150 for, you could charge $150, but then A won't buy it. Or you could charge $100, and they'd both buy it, but you'd be leaving $50 on the table from person B. So they come out with multiple products that are similar but not identical; if there's a plausible incentive to get B to pay the $150, you get the best of both worlds (A buys a $3.00 cup of coffee, but B buys the $4.00 cup that is produced in some environmentally-friendly-to-the-rain-forest way, for instance).

All of which is background to the story I read once in an economics-for-non-economists book: Company X put out two printers. I don't remember the numbers, so I'm making them up, but you'll get the point. One model costs $75 and prints 20 pages per minute; the other costs $100 and prints 30 pages per minute. Here comes the "How things work" part. If you saw the models, you might think that first they developed the low-output model, then they worked on it some more and figured out a way to make it more productive. And you'd be wrong. They developed a printer that could always print 30 pages per minute; then they deliberately jacked up an alternate model to reduce its productivity; by having a lesser model, they justified the Bs' of the world's willingness to pay more, while at the same time offering a lesser model withing the As' budgets.


This is great - thanks Lobo! Reminds of the "Decoy Effect" from the show Brain Games:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ip5jG3djdyk

Ron
"It is error only, and not truth, that shrinks from inquiry." Thomas Paine
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16203 Posts

Profile of tommy
Https://www.amazon.com/Are-Made-Stardust......7K6NRBCK

And even mugs know that printing machine makers make more from the ink sales.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
slowkneenuh
View Profile
Regular user
After 5,278+ posts, only credited with
129 Posts

Profile of slowkneenuh
Not quite how stuff works but still intriguing. Have you seen the new mini-PC sticks? About the same size as a Roku or Amazon streaming video stick but it's a regular computer. Windows 10, wi-fi, wireless mouse and keyboard hookup, memory, etc. Just plug it into a HDMI port on TV or monitor. Less than $200. on Amazon.
John

"A poor workman always blames his tools"
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16203 Posts

Profile of tommy
Thank you kindly. I had not heard of them. If I understand them correctly they look great and among other things I like the sound of them needing no fan and so they are thus quiet, I guess. When I see my computer expert I will ask him what he thinks of them.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » How Stuff Works (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.23 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL