The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » “Fred Kaps the master magician” new book! (9 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Vogler
View Profile
Special user
Greece
588 Posts

Profile of Vogler
Finally! a book for Fred Kaps is released at the end of 2020 in english, already released in dutch language. The good news are from Fred Kaps family page in Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=305......97094470
☺️
PapaG
View Profile
Special user
752 Posts

Profile of PapaG
At last!

Anymore info? Does it include description of tricks as well as biography?
Vogler
View Profile
Special user
Greece
588 Posts

Profile of Vogler
From a facebook post :

Fred Kaps (1926-1980) is regarded as the greatest magician of all time. In honor of the fortieth anniversary of his death, Michel van Zeist wrote a book about this icon who won the coveted world title three times. In Fred Kaps, master magician, he reminisces with Kaps’ daughter Barry Schatz-Bongers and colleagues Dick Koornwinder and Flip Hallema, among others. The faces of Dutch magic – Hans Kazàn, Hans Klok and Victor Mids – also share their thoughts about Kaps and give their vision on magic.

The fans of Fred Kaps have had to wait four decades, but now his greatest secrets will be finally revealed. This biographical book provides insight into the life of ‘the Johan Cruijff of magic’. His career, repertoire and private life are discussed from different perspectives. Read about all the details of the salt trick, find out why Kaps’ costumes had to be midnight blue and learn how you can become a master magician yourself. What would you need to do to reach the top?

Henk Vermeyden (1908-1988), coach and manager of magicians, receives ample treatment as well. He founded the Dutch Magic Union (NMU) and The International Federation of Magic Societies (FISM). Vermeyden was ‘the magic dandy’ who coached various world champions such as Fred Kaps in his canal houses on Keizersgracht and Kloveniersburgwal in Amsterdam. Many magicians and illusionists, including Siegfried & Roy, came to him for advice. Partly because of the merits of Vermeyden, the Netherlands was for many years the land of magic. What tips and tricks were exchanged?

With the permission of Fred Kaps’ family, Michel van Zeist portrays the life of the magician in a groundbreaking book. For this, he was given unlimited access to the magician’s archive. An exclusive glimpse into the life of a unique artist: Fred Kaps, master magician!

With the cooperation of – alongside the aforementioned – Peter Vogel, Ronald Moray, Jan Paymans, James Schatz, Ron Timmer, René Geelen, Gerrit ten Cate, Véronique Ross, Tonny Eyk, Kobe van Herwegen, Sylvia Schuyer, Tel Smit, Hubrecht Duijker, Ton Bal, Andy Doornhein, Jordi IJzerman, Kevin Ike, Aris Smit, Angela de Zeeuw and John Eertink.

Copies of the book can be reserved via book@fredkaps.nl.

Available by the end of 2020.

About the author

Michel van Zeist is a magician, host and voice-over. He studied Communication Science at the Radboud University in Nijmegen. Michel worked as a producer for NPO Radio 1 and presented a feature on Radio Gelderland.
Rachmaninov
View Profile
Inner circle
1076 Posts

Profile of Rachmaninov
Finally ! Kaps deserves no less that an awesome book !
qkeli
View Profile
Special user
paris,france
700 Posts

Profile of qkeli
Does it comes with a video maybe ?
Rachmaninov
View Profile
Inner circle
1076 Posts

Profile of Rachmaninov
Very good idea to add a dvd, especially because I never managed to find his card manipulation act online.
Cebulon
View Profile
Regular user
Germany, BW
106 Posts

Profile of Cebulon
Thanks for this information, Vogler. I am definitely looking forward to the release of this book (whether it will be with a DVD or not). Since I saw his clean version of the "7 card gypsy monte" (Gypsy Curse) I am a big admirer of his card magic.
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6021 Posts

Profile of motown
Facebook Post:

Today it is 40 years ago that 'the greatest magician of all time' died: three-time world champion Fred Kaps (1926-1980).

In recent months I researched this magician and wrote the book 'Fred Kaps, master magician' - with a foreword by Hans Kazan and contributions by Hans Klok and Victor Mids, among others.

The book will be presented at a festive gathering later this year. That moment depends, among other things, on the further relaxation of the corona measures. Barry Schatzbongers, the eldest daughter of Kaps, will receive the first copy.

Reserve a copy with Ron Timmer of Magicshop or René Geelen of Dynamite Magic Shop.

The book will also be published in an English version at the end of 2020: 'Fred Kaps, master magician'.

With the cooperation of - in addition to the aforementioned - Dick Koornwinder, Flip Hallema, Peter Vogel, Ronald Moray, Jan Paymans, James Schatz, Gerrit ten Cate, Véronique Ross, Tonny Eyk, Kobe van Herwegen, Sylvia Schuyer, Tel Smit, Hubrecht Duijker, Ton Bal , Andy Doornhein, Jordi IJzerman, Kevin Ike, Aris Smit, Angela de Zeeuw and John Eertink.

For more information, please contact boek@fredkaps.nl or 0318-727828.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
magic.42
View Profile
New user
78 Posts

Profile of magic.42
Has the Fred Kaps book been published?
Vogler
View Profile
Special user
Greece
588 Posts

Profile of Vogler
Yes, but not the english language edition yet ...
magic.42
View Profile
New user
78 Posts

Profile of magic.42
Do you know if there is a release date for the English edition?
Vogler
View Profile
Special user
Greece
588 Posts

Profile of Vogler
From Fred Kaps family page on Facebook:
Do you want to receive a message when the English version of the Fred Kaps book is available? Send an email to
book@fredkaps.nl
Kjellstrom
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden, Scandinavia, Europe
4997 Posts

Profile of Kjellstrom
Any news on the english book?
magic.42
View Profile
New user
78 Posts

Profile of magic.42
I signed up for an update from the Fred Kaps web site but have never received anything back from them. I have collected anything I could find by Kaps:
Kaps-It's so Easy by Fred Kaps - 1965' (M)
Kaps-Kaps on Coins by Fred Kaps - 1960' (M)
Kaps-The Fred Kaps Chinese Coin Trick by Ken Brooke – 1984’ (S)
Kaps-Fred Kaps Lecture Notes by Fred Kaps & Pete Biro - 1972' (M)
Kaps-Fred Kaps' Purse by Fred Kaps & Anthony Brahams - 1994' (M)
Kaps-Fred Kap’s Currency - Edward Victor's 11 Card Trick w/Bills by Fred Kaps - 1994' (S)
Kaps-It’s So Simple Magic by Fred Kaps - 1986’ (S)
Kaps-Fred Kaps' Smoke from Mouth by Fred Kaps (S)
Kaps-Fred Kaps' Cups & Balls by Pete Biro (S) (w/CD)
Kaps-Fred Kaps' Cups & Balls by Anthony Brahams - 1995’ (S)

On the conjuringarchive.com it shows 275 items by Fred Kaps, luckily I own 99% of the English written material in my personal library.

I hope that someday a book with Kaps teaching will be printed in English; however, I do not believe it will content his method of performing I am in search of. I think the only person that could write it is Frap Kaps himself, or possibly a student of his. This has not stopped me from doing a web search for the English version every month since the announcement of this book . If I find anything, I will post it here for the other followers of his work.
Take Care......
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5369 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
My understanding is that this is a book of his life and accomplishments. It is not a book of his magic (methods and secrets). I recently participated in a webinar on Kaps and this book was discussed (Dutch Language version since the English version is not released yet). Owners of the book were slightly disappointed in that it was NOT a book discussing his magic specifically. Also there was some little disappointment in that fact checking was not done on the final draft as a few facts are incorrect in the book.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Vogler
View Profile
Special user
Greece
588 Posts

Profile of Vogler
Whatever this book is I Want it! No news yet about the english edition....
Marc DeSouza
View Profile
V.I.P.
Wayne, PA
164 Posts

Profile of Marc DeSouza
Just a clarification of what Harry posted. This book has been magnificently produced. The pictures are fantastic. I cannot comment on the text, as I do not read Dutch, but it is apparent that it is filled with tributes and remembrances of numerous magicians about Fred Kaps. The only dissatisfaction I have heard is that magicians were expecting THE BOOK, one filled with the methods of the effects Kaps performed. This is not that book. It is biographical in nature. There were a few facts that should have been checked more closely, which is of importance in the preservation of magic's history, but, that is a minor quibble in the face of this incredible book. Full marks to Michel for this great undertaking. I am anxiously awaiting the English version so I can actually read it. And, there is at least one more book in active preparation from another author which will focus on the methods of some of The Master's repertoire.
magic.99
View Profile
Regular user
146 Posts

Profile of magic.99
Quote:
On Mar 18, 2021, Marc DeSouza wrote:
Just a clarification of what Harry posted. This book has been magnificently produced. The pictures are fantastic. I cannot comment on the text, as I do not read Dutch, but it is apparent that it is filled with tributes and remembrances of numerous magicians about Fred Kaps. The only dissatisfaction I have heard is that magicians were expecting THE BOOK, one filled with the methods of the effects Kaps performed. This is not that book. It is biographical in nature. There were a few facts that should have been checked more closely, which is of importance in the preservation of magic's history, but, that is a minor quibble in the face of this incredible book. Full marks to Michel for this great undertaking. I am anxiously awaiting the English version so I can actually read it. And, there is at least one more book in active preparation from another author which will focus on the methods of some of The Master's repertoire.

Glad to hear that there is an English edition on it's way.
HOPEFULLY, the 'mistakes' that are in the Dutch edition, will be corrected in the English edition...especially considering the cost of new books. There is no excuse for reprinted known mistakes.
Are there any details on the book that will focus on methods? Anyone know about a release date?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » “Fred Kaps the master magician” new book! (9 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.29 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL