The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Single Blank Face Card (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Warning: We will run out of new tricks in
4388 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
The Bicycle Elite decks come with a double backer and a blank face card. I have many uses for a DB card, but can anyone help me with what I could do with a single blank face card in the deck?

KJ
Paul Rathbun
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
2543 Posts

Profile of Paul Rathbun
Truth in Advertising by John G. You can get it for free on Vanishing Inc website.
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
4388 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
THX
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
I save them, I will usually buy 3 decks if a blank face is included and I use the 3 blank facers with 1 joker and do Alex Elmsley's "4 Card Trick." It is the effect he invented the "Ghost Count" (now known as the "Elmsley Count") for. It is a great opener. I use it a lot. It is taught as the first effect in "The Collected Works of Alex Elmsley" Vol 1 (pg 21) by Stephen Minch.

Also, John Guastaferro has an effect called "Virus" which you can use a blank face card (or a double blank, I prefer the double blank card method). To do the blank face method, it is in his book "En Route". (Off topic of blank cards, in Genii Magazine Dec 2018 he teaches a method with no "stranger/blank card").

Even something as simple as putting the blank at the face of the deck and doing a reverse fan showing all blanks and with a single cut (and secret palm) the deck "Prints itself".
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
4388 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
Thanks, Poof-Daddy. I looked at the Advertising routine that Paul suggested, and it is basically a more involved plot of all blank cards turning into regular cards, along the lines of the last item you suggested. It seemed to me that Advertising was a bit long, but I really like the idea of having them select any card, with a little bit of humor to make them feel like I am influencing them, but warning them that I am influencing them. Then, showing the entire deck blank, which is a really cool contrast to their selected card. This routine could also be combined with R Paul Wilson's routine where he determines their card by a clever process of narrowing it down to a color and whether it was high or low. This would be perfect, because then the revelation is the rest of the cards are blank. I'm inclined to end the routine there, leaving them thinking the deck was blank, putting it away, or perhaps in a box on the table, moving on to a different trick, then perhaps have them press a "print" button on the box, and take them out again later in the set.

I am very familiar with Elmsley's "4 card trick". I have his three volume set that starts with that effect. Very good, but I'm looking for maybe up to three routines with a blank card where I can throw just one of them into a set.

I will check out "Virus". I'm not familiar with it. I'm not opposed to having something written or drawn on the blank card, but I want to be able to use it over and over.

Thanks for your help.

KJ
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
4388 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
I see that there is a new book called Resigned to Miracles by Peter Groning. It seems there is an effect with a blank card in it.
KJ
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Single Blank Face Card (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL