The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Sponge balls to hat/box (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

gregg webb
View Profile
Regular user
199 Posts

Profile of gregg webb
I came up with this idea that is a way to alter Slydini's Paper Balls to Hat (now a box, folding, with no top and no bottom...instead of the hat) and not to be confused with his Paper Balls over the Head. For those of you that know Slydini's routine, long a favorite of mine, but it had an odd ending wherein one had to mime the whole sequence again, with no paper ball, to get that last one to "go".
So, I found by changing to spongeballs, instead of the paper napkin balls, I could get 1 "ahead" by having a spongeball in the folding box thingee (made for the Master by his student J.P. Laramee) and the folded condition seems to say "fair". When you set the bottom edge of the folding box on the table, and relaxed your thumbs, and opened the box...there would secretly be a spongeball inside (already).
The rest of the routine is the same...except you are using spongeballs not paper balls. I think it was Tommy Wonder who reminded us not to squeeze the spongeballs...revealing how compressible they are. In other words, we mime that they are more solid than they really are to throw off the M.O. of the first ball.
So, you end with a spongeball in your lap...get rid of it as you clean up after the trick. No problemo.
To a non-magician, that ending phase must have seemed strange, even though the trick teaches some good theories of Tony's work, and this minor change can get rid of that whole last phase. I've always felt it is o.k. to tinker with routines in hopes of streamlining things for the better. Some think you shouldn't change a "classic". You decide. Gregg
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Sponge balls to hat/box (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL