The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Pseudo Himber Count (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

mrmagik68
View Profile
Special user
NYC
529 Posts

Profile of mrmagik68
Greetings coin workers!

I just started delving into Doug Brewer's, The Unexpected Visitor. What a great little book on coin magic. The first routine I'm studying is, The Famous Three Coin Trick. In phase 4 in the book, Doug incorporates and describes the Himber Click Pass. As I'm reading the description of this sleight with coins in hand, the first thing I thought to myself was, WTF is this! The move does not look or feel natural in my hands at all. Immediately, I think to myself, okay I have to try and devise a better method for accomplishing this. Basically, you're counting two coins as three using the audible clink. Thanks to this wonderful site, The Magic Café, I searched around and in comes, the Pseudo Himber Count from Dr. Michael Rubinstein. What a wonderful method to accomplish this! I tip my hat off to you sir. After referencing this move here in the Café, I was lucky enough to still have my copy of NYCMS Vol. 1 where Dr. Rubinstein teaches the move in a routine named, Long Term, Short Term. Does anyone else use this count? If so, which routines do you use it for?

Roberto
Original Card Clinician
Michael Rubinstein
View Profile
V.I.P.
4018 Posts

Profile of Michael Rubinstein
This and other false counts can be found in the new book, Rubinstein Coin Magic.
Available at dealers EVERYWHERE - RUBINSTEIN COIN MAGIC- The biggest book on coin magic since Bobo's Modern Coin Magic, and the most important since David Roth's Expert Coin Magic! Hardbound, 500 pages, 20 chapters of state of the art coin magic illustrated with 930 crisp photos! A contribution chapter from over 20 of the world's top coin magicians! This will be the book against which all future books on coin magic will be measured! Already called a Modern Classic!!
And if anyone (USA ONLY) needs some of the coin stuff used in the book, shoot me an email at rubinsteindvm@aol.com as I have some limited supplies of coins and props used in the book.
ddtstore
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of ddtstore
This looks like a good book, do you know any resources where I could find a good help with himber vanish.

Quote:
On Jul 25, 2020, Michael Rubinstein wrote:
This and other false counts can be found in the new book, Rubinstein Coin Magic.
Michael Rubinstein
View Profile
V.I.P.
4018 Posts

It is taught in Rubinstein Coin Magic as well, in a routine contributed by Jay Wang.
Available at dealers EVERYWHERE - RUBINSTEIN COIN MAGIC- The biggest book on coin magic since Bobo's Modern Coin Magic, and the most important since David Roth's Expert Coin Magic! Hardbound, 500 pages, 20 chapters of state of the art coin magic illustrated with 930 crisp photos! A contribution chapter from over 20 of the world's top coin magicians! This will be the book against which all future books on coin magic will be measured! Already called a Modern Classic!!
And if anyone (USA ONLY) needs some of the coin stuff used in the book, shoot me an email at rubinsteindvm@aol.com as I have some limited supplies of coins and props used in the book.
ddtstore
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of ddtstore
Ok thanks, where can I order one?
Michael Rubinstein
View Profile
V.I.P.
4018 Posts

For ordering information, please send me an email at rubinsteindvm@aol.com . I have some copies that I can sign, and they all come with an extra free gift.
bassinator
View Profile
New user
Louisiana
75 Posts

Profile of bassinator
You won't regret ordering Dr. Rubinstein's book Smile
countrymaven
View Profile
Inner circle
1293 Posts

Profile of countrymaven
The "lazy Himber" in Rick Holcombe's TRIO book is definitely something to check out. The regular Himber count has had a few potential problems. I think Rick solves it and makes it much simpler. And easier.
Boomer
View Profile
Special user
Livermore, CA
512 Posts

Profile of Boomer
Rick Holcombe (yes, a member here)

Trip: https://www.rickholcombemagic.com/product-page/trip

Lazy Himber: Pg. 13

Dave
Michael Rubinstein
View Profile
V.I.P.
4018 Posts

Here is a video of techniques found in Rubinstein Coin Magic, including the PH (Pseudo Himber) Count, and some other counts.
https://youtu.be/XUrRNF7BsTM
ugdini13
View Profile
Loyal user
Chino,Ca
256 Posts

Profile of ugdini13
I believe Dr. Rubenstein teaches this move in his first penguin lecture as well.

Love the Famous Three Coin Trick and the rest of the material in the book. If I remember correctly Mr. Brewer does not always do the count when he performs this to show 3 coins.

If you learn Sankey's Mexican Jumping Coins Across, you have a deceptive coins across using a similar dodge as the famous 3 coin trick.

Kelly
"Perfection is in the details, but detail is no Perfection"-Dai Vernon
gregg webb
View Profile
Regular user
190 Posts

Profile of gregg webb
A routine that helped popularize the Himber-style false count was my routine Coins Across 2000, which appeared in Genii in, I guess it was 2000. It had a false count in the beginning and at the end. Just after it ran in Genii I had the idea of palming and extra coin at the start so that there was only 1 Himber-style false count at the beginning and at the end of the routine the count was a real count which mimicked the look of the false count ( a fake false count ). The better handling is in my Supersessions from Lybrary.com
feher
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1421 Posts

Profile of feher
I highly recommend Greg Webb's Webb count.
The first thing I thought of when I read your post was the Webb count. Scroll down and BAM Greg has commented.
I have used this count and it works great!
Good luck!
Tim
Mean people SUCK!!!!!!!
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
8767 Posts

Profile of Mb217
My Man! How are you Tim...It's been quite a long time, my friend. Smile

I knew there was something special about Greg Webb via his wonderful comments about David Roth. Seemed like a really nice guy, and really nice guys tend to gravitate towards one another, and most certainly down good roads. I might've thought he would have something of real value to offer here, as he seems to offer wherever I see him post. Smile So, definitely check out the "Webb Count," check out anything as to the art Tim Feher suggests because he knows from whence he speaks as to all things magical. Not to mention, that he is one heckuva coin man, too Smile

Anyway, hope all is well old friend...Always wishing the best of all things to you throughout the years, new & old. Smile
*Check out my latest: The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
Michael Rubinstein
View Profile
V.I.P.
4018 Posts

I should mention that the PH (Pseudo Himber) count (which is the title of this thread) is NOT the Rosenthal Himber Count (which is a false count based on utilization of the Richard Himber vanish and popularized by Jay Sankey). It looks the same, but is easier to perform and doesn't require a change of hand position to toss the last coin as with the Himber Count (due to the way the coin is stolen). It is in Rubinstein Coin Magic, as well as the Penguin lecture and NYCMS DVD series, and can be seen performed in the montage of techniques posted earlier in this thread.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Pseudo Himber Count (5 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL