We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Short card? (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

karnak
View Profile
Special user
Colorado
584 Posts

Profile of karnak
When trimming a card's length in order to make a "short card" (for the usual purposes and applications), as a rule of thumb, about how short do you trim it? Is there an optimum standard or minimum amount you trim off that works best?

Also, do you typically trim on just one end? Or do you split the difference and make it symmetrical by trimming *half* of the total to be removed from *both* ends?
For a supernatural chiller mixing magic (prestidigitation, legerdemain) with Magic (occultism, mysticism), check out my novel MAGIC: AN OCCULT THRILLER at http://www.amazon.com/Magic-Occult-Thriller-Reed-Hall/dp/1453874836
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5065 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
I always remember hearing that Svens were made by trimming 1/64" off and re-rounding corners. I don't see why that wouldn't be enough since you don't need very much to make a corner short "sure fire". As for ends, use only one for trimming. A spec should not notice a bit of border being that off especially since many decks have "off" borders (QC issues) anyway. I trim mine from the thicker border if the deck is off top to bottom (I make strippers if the border is off side to side, trimming the thicker side).

If you are just doing 1 for a locator/key card, scissors and a nail clipper will suffice. If you are making half a deck, there are many options out there. You could also buy a deck of "short cards" and a regular 1 way forcing deck and make 2 "reverse Svens" with no cutting and there are actually some nice effects using that deck (Magick Balay teaches a couple on Reel Magazine "Tuesday Night Tricks" from a couple years back). Just a different option.
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
karnak
View Profile
Special user
Colorado
584 Posts

Profile of karnak
Thanks, Poof-Daddy. I’m only making a single short card (out of a Joker) to use as basically a locator card (actually just as a way to be able to always cut the deck right where I need to, i.e. right at the short card).

I’m surprised that a mere 1/64” off from just one end would be sufficient to do the trick. I guess I was anticipating trimming away half the width of a border (and maybe even on both ends, at that).
For a supernatural chiller mixing magic (prestidigitation, legerdemain) with Magic (occultism, mysticism), check out my novel MAGIC: AN OCCULT THRILLER at http://www.amazon.com/Magic-Occult-Thriller-Reed-Hall/dp/1453874836
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Warning: We will run out of new tricks in
3643 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
If you are looking for a locator card, then I would suggest you simply trim the tiniest sliver from the lower left and upper right corner. I would also suggest you pick a card that is not a joker so you can use a deck without jokers when appropriate. I always trim the two corners of the 3C. That is always my "key card". I use it for a wide variety of things. In fact, I also have the 3H that is corner cut on the opposite corners. This allows me to apparently cut to Aces apparently spread throughout the deck. It also allows me to turn over a "lost" card so it ends up face up in a face down deck. It also allows me to do an amazing ACCAN routine. Poof-Daddy is right, you only need the slightest trim. I use a pretty standard corner rounder from most any office supply. Mine has small, medium, and large corner rounds. I use the medium and pull the card away a bit so I am just barely trimming the card.

KJ
Kaliix
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1566 Posts

Profile of Kaliix
Whose routine do you use for ACANN with a short card?

Do you put Aces above and below each of the two short cards in the Ace cutting routine?

Quote:
On Jul 27, 2020, 1KJ wrote:
If you are looking for a locator card, then I would suggest you simply trim the tiniest sliver from the lower left and upper right corner. I would also suggest you pick a card that is not a joker so you can use a deck without jokers when appropriate. I always trim the two corners of the 3C. That is always my "key card". I use it for a wide variety of things. In fact, I also have the 3H that is corner cut on the opposite corners. This allows me to apparently cut to Aces apparently spread throughout the deck. It also allows me to turn over a "lost" card so it ends up face up in a face down deck. It also allows me to do an amazing ACCAN routine. Poof-Daddy is right, you only need the slightest trim. I use a pretty standard corner rounder from most any office supply. Mine has small, medium, and large corner rounds. I use the medium and pull the card away a bit so I am just barely trimming the card.

KJ
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance; it is the illusion of knowledge.
~Daniel J. Boorstin
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Warning: We will run out of new tricks in
3643 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
I have my own ACAAN routine. It is a combination Ambitious card and ACAAN routine. I like it because it uses a "magician in trouble" plot where the card is supposed to come to the top, but it doesn't. It turns out they picked a lazy card. I tell them I need their help to determine just how lazy their card is. I then have them name a number that is a measure of the card laziness and their card is at that number. The key card does all the heavy lifting in that routine.

KJ
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Short card? (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL