The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Resigned to Miracles (16 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5
loudini1972
View Profile
New user
Central New Jersey
83 Posts

Profile of loudini1972
Quote:
On Aug 26, 2020, novasteeple wrote:
Quote:
On Aug 26, 2020, loudini1972 wrote:
Can these effects be performed in a strolling situation? Or are these more tailored for parlor/stage presentations?

I don't see why the foundational effect (to produce the duplicate card) couldn't be done while strolling (and Peter even mentions that scenario in the introduction), although I think there are three caveats: 1) As with all strolling scenarios, any effect would be diminished if the second group of spectators has already seen the performance for the first. 2) The more time that elapses between the foundational effect in which the duplicate is produced and the later effect in which it's revealed, the better. If you only have a few minutes with a strolling audience, this may not be the best set of effects to do. That said, if you could come back to a spectator later, even alone, it could be very powerful. For example, you could destroy the first signed card as part of your strolling set, and then tap the spectator on the shoulder in the valet line and ask them to look in their glove compartment (having asked the valet to put the duplicate card there). 3) There's some very quick and simple reset that shouldn't be done in the open, so depending on how much pocket space you have for multiple setups you may want to do the reset in another room.

After you have a duplicate card, you can do anything you want with it that you could otherwise do with cards while strolling (e.g., remove it from your wallet or shoe, tip it out of a matchbox).

Thanks for the clarification and detailed response!
Harry Patter
View Profile
Elite user
406 Posts

Profile of Harry Patter
There is a snippet (10mins) of an interview with Peter Groning about the book and the Resigned effect here on the PropDog Live at about the 58 minute.:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkEQauyKJEM
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6016 Posts

Profile of motown
In Magic Seen Magazine's Best of British, there an effect by Scott Penrose called Autograph Hunter, that would be a perfect application for Resigned.

It's a signed card to wallet idea, built around the premise of collecting autographs. The climax involves the performer pulling out his wallet to show his collection via an accordion fold of 10 or 12 plastic pockets, which cascade out. The last cards in the chain could be one or both of the duplicate signature's you obtain with the Resigned concept.

Heinz Minten also makes a Card Cascade Wallet, which could be used.

It has some good entertainment value as well as being a nice way to use the signatures.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
kissdadookie
View Profile
Inner circle
4133 Posts

Profile of kissdadookie
Congratulations Peter! Andy over at The Jerx likes Resigned and thinks it’s one of the good methods available to us today for obtaining a legitimate signature secretly. He also thinks the Resigned effect is a solid one as well so he recommends the book Smile Congrats as that is high praise in my book.
Peter Gröning
View Profile
Regular user
Stockholm, Sweden
166 Posts

Profile of Peter Gröning
@motown:
Thanks for tipping yet another use for the signatures. This effect is new to me.

@ kissdadookie:
I'm really glad to hear this, thanks for telling about it.
Where can I read his thoughts on this?

My best wishes,
Peter
kissdadookie
View Profile
Inner circle
4133 Posts

Profile of kissdadookie
Quote:
On Sep 2, 2020, Peter Gröning wrote:
@motown:
Thanks for tipping yet another use for the signatures. This effect is new to me.

@ kissdadookie:
I'm really glad to hear this, thanks for telling about it.
Where can I read his thoughts on this?

My best wishes,
Peter

Andy assesses it in his members only monthly newsletter. He included some performance suggestions based on his own experience using Resigned. His verdict being that he recommends the book which is actually very high praise coming from him.

I’ve PM’d you with his write up so that you don’t have to go hunting for it.
Peter Gröning
View Profile
Regular user
Stockholm, Sweden
166 Posts

Profile of Peter Gröning
Hi kissdadookie,

Thanks for sending me the text and for posting his verdict. I greatly appreciate it.

My best wishes,
Peter
Harry Patter
View Profile
Elite user
406 Posts

Profile of Harry Patter
Hi All,
Here is an interview with the charming Peter Groning. He discusses the origins of Resigned plus his thoughts on magic, mentalism and other things.

https://www.propdog.co.uk/blog/propdog-m......miracles

He tips Bit by Bit as a great trick after performing Resigned, I can vouch that you get a lot of bang for your buck with it. The preparation isn't painful either, give it a go.

Best,
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
6016 Posts

Profile of motown
Quote:
On Sep 5, 2020, Harry Patter wrote:
Hi All,
Here is an interview with the charming Peter Groning. He discusses the origins of Resigned plus his thoughts on magic, mentalism and other things.

https://www.propdog.co.uk/blog/propdog-m......miracles

He tips Bit by Bit as a great trick after performing Resigned, I can vouch that you get a lot of bang for your buck with it. The preparation isn't painful either, give it a go.

Best,

Very Enjoyable interview. Thanks for sharing. It was great hearing Peter's thoughts on his book.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
6016 Posts

Profile of motown
Peter,

I was curious if you had ever played around with some type of spirit writing idea with your Resigned approach?
– Karl Germain
Peter Gröning
View Profile
Regular user
Stockholm, Sweden
166 Posts

Profile of Peter Gröning
Quote:
On Sep 16, 2020, motown wrote:
Peter,

I was curious if you had ever played around with some type of spirit writing idea with your Resigned approach?

Hi motown,
Sorry for the late reply. Despite corona I've been lucky enough to get some theatre work, which has taken all my focus, though it's great to be back in the saddle again.

I've been playing around with ideas where writing appears on a card signed by a spectator, but I'm not sure if this counts as spirit writing. I suppose it ll comes down to framing. But I like your idea very much, and I'm quite sure there's a lot of potential in this. Do you have a specific route in mind, or are you just considering possibilities? I'd love to hear your thoughts on this, if it's not asking too much.

Your thinking makes me glad, since this is exactly what I was hoping for - new ideas utilizing the concept being created. Thank's for sharing an interesting idea!

My best wishes,
Peter
Peter Gröning
View Profile
Regular user
Stockholm, Sweden
166 Posts

Profile of Peter Gröning
Hi all,

I just got word from Penguin, that Resigned to Miracles has passed the thousand mark.
The notion of a thousand magicians world wide, has made the decision to purchase my book, is quite an eerie feeling, and by far surpasses my wildest expectations.

I'd like to thank all of you for having faith in a random dude from the North pole.

I hope that the material has served you well, and that you've come up with great applications for your secretly signed cards. I do understand that many perhaps aren't willing to share your ideas publicly on this forum, but I'd love to hear whatever thoughts you've come up with, so if you'd like, drop me an e-mail: peter@petergroning.se

My best wishes,
Peter
Peter Gröning
View Profile
Regular user
Stockholm, Sweden
166 Posts

Profile of Peter Gröning
Happy as a clam; what a nice way to start 2021:

Resigned to Miracles has been awarded the "Penguin Magic Book Of The Year".
Luke Master
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Profile of Luke Master
So happy for you Peter. That is awesome! Congratulations!
emyers99
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
4149 Posts

Profile of emyers99
As it should. Well deserved.
Harry Patter
View Profile
Elite user
406 Posts

Profile of Harry Patter
Congratulations!
I can't think of another book which has excited me half as much.

Tack!
Peter Gröning
View Profile
Regular user
Stockholm, Sweden
166 Posts

Profile of Peter Gröning
Luke Masters, emyers99 and Harry Patter,

Thank you for your kind words.
It means a lot to me, and is greatly appreciated.

Tack själva!
Peter
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
6016 Posts

Profile of motown
Very nice review of Resigned to Miracles in the February issue of Genii by David Britland.
– Karl Germain
Peter Gröning
View Profile
Regular user
Stockholm, Sweden
166 Posts

Profile of Peter Gröning
Hi motown,

I'm not a subscriber of Genii, so thanks for the heads up.

My best wishes,
Peter
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Resigned to Miracles (16 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL