The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Seeking information on a specific box (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

georgeyounts
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of georgeyounts
Hi,

Looking for some suggestions or leads to do more research on a box.

The dimensions of the box are around 6 inches wide, 10 inches long and about 6 inches high? The box is angle proof. It can be seen by the audience at all times locked up with lock and key. It is not a switch box. There is no force. It does not have swinging side door on its side to load anything out of the audiences’ view.

However, there is a trap door gimmick on its bottom that the magician could load the prediction through which he has taken from an index.

So as the magician hands the box to the spectator he is palming the prediction and loads the prediction through the box's bottom trap door gimmick.

Anyone know if such a box exists on the market?

Or where I could find construction plans in a book to build one?

Thank you for your time.
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5346 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Other than size there is/was such a box. Verne McCarthy made what he called "The Retention Box". The size is about 5" x 4" x 4".

It featured a loading system you describe. A card, Bill, Billet/prediction, or whatever could be used.

As with the Kennedy Mystery Box, the locked top could be opened and the card, bill, or billet seen inside. The action of dumping the contents out hid the visible item and simultaneously loaded and switched in the item (in the manner you described).

The bottom working can be locked. The side that hides the dummy item locks automatically. The box can stand examination after the switch (but why?).

It is a dream prop to work with. Sort of a Mystery Box on Steroids.

I don't think many were made and are rarely seen on the secondary market. It would not be inexpensive if you found one. But then John Kennedy's original wooden version of the Mystery Box goes for between $85 and $125 today.

You can do a similar routine using a different method using Bob Kohler's "Lightening Box" if you could find one (will cost between $100 and $200 and up)

As near as I know there are no construction plans for it. If you have any craftsman skills at all you could probably figure out a design that would work for you.

Yes I have one. Used it a few nights ago mystifying family (given the times I am only performing for family! Much to their distress!). It sits visibly on a shelf in the living room. I have it set right now for a signed card. Last month it was set for a signed bill. I will use it for a prediction in November (election prediction). It almost begs someone to ask about it. If they do then into the routine!

While small it is large enough to be clearly seen in a good size venue.

Yes I probably could be talked into selling it but it would not be inexpensive. I love the little prop and do use it even in this time of limited performing.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5343 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
Great info Harry. Thank you.

I completely forgot about the Retention Box, but it is a wonderful prop. Here is a link with photos and a description: https://www.magiccollectibles.com/produc......ger-made

I think you're spot on about using Kohler's Lightening Box. I have one, and I think it can be used as georgeyounts describes. Georgeyounts, once you have 50 legitimate posts you'll be able to access the buy/sell section here on the Café. Once there, you can start a post looking for the Lightening Box. It's a fine prop, and has a mysterious look and feel to it. https://www.martinsmagic.com/allmagic/cl......b-kohler

Good luck on your search, and keep us posted!
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Seeking information on a specific box (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL