The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » A tangled web we weave... » » Luke Jermay - Vanishing Inc Masterclass (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Bob_Hummer
View Profile
Special user
837 Posts

Profile of Bob_Hummer
His DVD sets were very impressive.
Mac_Stone
View Profile
Inner circle
Miami, FL
1259 Posts

Profile of Mac_Stone
Quote:
On Aug 19, 2020, Bob_Hummer wrote:

Just imagine how much MORE impressive they could have been if he didn't peek when he was 15 years old! What a shame.
kissdadookie
View Profile
Inner circle
4289 Posts

Profile of kissdadookie
Why does it feel like the criticisms are coming from mainly magicians dabbling with mentalism? Many if not most of the greats in mentalism eventually ended up doing mainly a Q&A act. This is not because they were garbage at anything else but because they’ve learned through experience what material was most impactful and engaging to the audience. Look at Bob Cassidy, his greatest work wasn’t something like name and place and/or 4DT, it was Q&A. He used 4DT and name and place as components for his Q&A act. For folks to dismiss Jermay’s pivoting to such material as if this is him becoming less relevant would then suggest that Bob Cassidy was rubbish.

Perhaps this is yet more examples of magicians wanting to dabble in mentalism but are too afraid to commit to mentalism and thus adhering to the concept they crossing over from tricks to mainly readings somehow makes them the same as a fortune teller stealing money from their victims? Look at Banachek’s appearance on Rogan, his persona is that he is a world famous skeptic that tricked the scientists and due to that, Rohan grilled him like a hawk and prodded him with valid questions only for him to then have to essentially deflect and redirect because he could not reveal the secrets (Rogan pointed out point blank that Banachek uses talking fast as a ploy, he prodded at him with that point several times throughout the interview, you can tell Banachek was a fair bit uncomfortable being asked that question). It’s not a good position to be in and you end up at a net loss because you literally end up contradicting yourself (going around debunking everything but then using trickery in your own performance and refusing to let people in on the secret or acknowledge it when called out for it makes you a hypocrite, your in a lose lose situation). Luke goes over this exact topic (that of using the false “scientific” explanations because the performer perceived the mystical as a line that shouldn’t be crossed). This Masterclass was really a Masterclass and even more so than the excellent Asi Masterclass lectures. The reason being Luke gave a lot of the real work behind how he came to be where he is now. He tipped quite a bit of work that were invaluable (like memorizing the internet). I think the criticisms really are stemming from this bizarre magician mindset of if something does not follow a effect demonstrated and then explained in detail format then it must not count. It’s a ludicrous mindset because instead of looking at material objectively, they are looking at things based on a tally of how many items follow the effect demonstration then detailed explanation format.

P.S.: Not saying that people should go out there and be Uri Gellar. What I am saying however is that way too little emphasis is placed on audience experience and too much is placed on fear of ever being caught or claimed to be a psychic. If you are performing, perform, you are not there to convince people to change their belief systems. Focus on the performance and the presentation, it makes no sense to just collect tricks and methods but then treat performance as if it was second or third class citizen.
Stunninger
View Profile
Inner circle
2258 Posts

Profile of Stunninger
Jermay’s Mind and Premise & Premonition DVD sets were outstandingly good, and released within the last 5 years or so.
The evolution of going from effects to essentially nothing but Q&A seems quite natural to me. At least a very natural path that one might choose to take. Readings, whether one to one or for an entire theatre, may be considered by some as the highest form of what a mentalist / Mindreader might do.
Business Card Q&A eBook & The Elvis Peek videos are $30 each and may be purchased by sending a PayPal to: mindreaderfxfx@gmail.com. Elvis Peek videos are streaming only and cannot be downloaded.

Reviews: https://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=715994&start=0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XtMqE98Rol8&ab_channel=NiqueTan
clairvoyant
View Profile
Loyal user
276 Posts

Profile of clairvoyant
This product was simply marketed incorrectly (i.e., to magicians by magicians). Also, the product is somewhat of an odd focus for Jermay. Jermay has always been primarily a stage performer. He's said in his past releases that he doesn't do closeup or walkaround (except casually), so its somewhat odd to have a product showcasing his approach to this material.

All this talk of Jermay peaking early is ridiculous. He's become my favorite mentalist due to his recent releases. Jermay's Mind was his best work to me. I couldn't believe how much he'd grown as a performer from his earlier days, when he took the Derren-inspired fast-paced psychological illusionist approach. When I look back at his earlier work now, for example the performance on Making Mind Reading Look Real, he performed using a somewhat generic character and seemed to be more interested in exploring novel and underutilized methods than in focusing on giving his audience what they want. With Jermay's Mind he really seemed to come into his own as a performer. The material he was using was more fullproof and audience-centric, and he seemed at peace and confident. Furthermore, rather than the somewhat brash punk rock character of his youth, he'd become more laid back and likeable as a performer, and really seemed believable as a psychic of sorts. His propless Q&A performance on Jermay's Mind is one of the best mentalism performances I've ever seen. Also, how he advanced Touching on Hoy into Touching on Divination, squeezing three more revelations out of it and tightening up the scripting to make it essentially fullproof, was a sight to behold. Connected was also great on this set.

Premise and Premonition took material that I'd never personally resonated with from others and made it into something that I appreciated, for instance White Ball Location was the best presentation I've come across for a Kurotsuke-inspired effect. I didn't personally love this set quite as much as Jermay's Mind. I really like the simplicity of Silent Communication which was one of the more novel effects on it, which again showcased that he was becoming more attuned to giving his audience what they want than blowing them away with how great he was.

All of this doesn't mention the several incredible ebooks he's come out with in recent years, my favorites being Something from Nothing, Vibrations, and Heavy, which all contain some great, well-fleshed out routines and scripts.

If you don't appreciate this product, you're probably more of a magician or mental magician than a full-on mentalist. And that's ok. You're more interested in methods that fool your audience, to blow them away with how clever you are, than creating a straightforward, unique experience that connects with your audience by showcasing themes they care about in their day to day lives, and performing in a way that might provide some wisdom they can take away and apply to their life. This product simply isn't meant for you. If you'd followed Jermay's career trajectory, you'd have known he's become largely a tarot reader in recent years and so you would have known exactly what you were getting.
Gorgeous
View Profile
New user
86 Posts

Profile of Gorgeous
Quote:
On Aug 19, 2020, Mac_Stone wrote:
Quote:
On Aug 19, 2020, Bob_Hummer wrote:

Just imagine how much MORE impressive they could have been if he didn't peek when he was 15 years old! What a shame.

Mac,

I have a lot of respect for you and when I read that comment without reading the rest of the thread I was about to disown you as a friend haha. I sighed a huge breath of relief when I saw the other posts.

Clairvoyant,

That very much reflects my own sentiments.
Escamoteur
View Profile
Regular user
108 Posts

Profile of Escamoteur
Hello,

Is the pendulum routine covered the one from Jermay's Mind, or something totally new?

Regards
Mac_Stone
View Profile
Inner circle
Miami, FL
1259 Posts

Profile of Mac_Stone
Quote:
On Nov 5, 2020, Escamoteur wrote:
Hello,

Is the pendulum routine covered the one from Jermay's Mind, or something totally new?

Regards

It's new.
Escamoteur
View Profile
Regular user
108 Posts

Profile of Escamoteur
Quote:
On Nov 5, 2020, Mac_Stone wrote:
Quote:
On Nov 5, 2020, Escamoteur wrote:
Hello,

Regards

It's new.

Thank you very much Mac.
qkeli
View Profile
Special user
paris,france
737 Posts

Profile of qkeli
Can someone remind me at which point does Luke brings out a pocket edition or erdnase please....?
dirtyfoucault
View Profile
Loyal user
UK
297 Posts

Profile of dirtyfoucault
What a curate's egg of a masterclass.

Strong on theory. I truly believe the ideas discussed in week 1 to be transformative. Close-up mentalism seems to me to be *the* vehicle for facilitating experiences of the miraculous - free as it is from the constraints of formal theatrics. It's just a shame that our guide for pivoting to sheer miracle in our close-up performances is himself a stage performer. This leads, I suspect, to the wooliness we get in week 2. Far from the cornucopia of 'sweet' treaty tricks Luke promises, we get a detailed description of Hit (which I already own and got nothing more out of here) and very woolly descriptions of a few other tricks that I'd struggle to perform based on the information provided.

By week 2, we have a man describing things he does on stage with no detailed attention to method, as if he's forgotten that this he is supposed to be producing didactic materials. He talks vaguely about his book test for ages without pinpointing exactly what it involves or the method. The lesson? Go out and make your own book test! Look up Max Maven's book tests! Similarly, for readings: go out and learn the tarot. Really? Wow, those thoughts had never occurred to me.

If you buy this and commit to the programme Luke outlines in week 1, you'll no doubt transform your act. But it's ironic that an approach that implicitly encourages a continual striving for the perfection of miracle performance comes from a masterclass that settles for flabby mediocrity.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » A tangled web we weave... » » Luke Jermay - Vanishing Inc Masterclass (5 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL