The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » The Russian Vaccine » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16043 Posts

Profile of tommy
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
slowkneenuh
View Profile
Regular user
After 5,278+ posts, only credited with
128 Posts

Profile of slowkneenuh
People are lining up for the Russian developed vaccine. Folks who want the shot are on the left (no pun intended) and those that do not want it are on the right. I wonder which line is longer. I'm going with the right line being the longest, but people could be frightened enough to try anything that might protect them from the virus.
John

"A poor workman always blames his tools"
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
3987 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
I hope it works out well.
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
5036 Posts

Profile of RNK
A vaccine that is released with no human testing. Good luck with that
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20426 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I forget is there a SARS vaccine.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Claudio
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1573 Posts

Profile of Claudio
The Russian vaccine has not undergone phase-3 testing and releasing it is like playing Russian roulette: They've jumped the gun.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20426 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I am not a doctor and know very little about doctor stuff.

We have a HUGE bureaucracy here that things go through. Is the way we test the standard for the world?

I'm not interested in debating if it is right or wrong or whatever. I'm only curious as to if there is a worldwide standard is all.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4961 Posts

Profile of landmark
That's what the World Health Organization is meant to do. Promulgate scientific standards that have a consensus of the international community. As far as I know they are only guidelines and have no enforcement power.

"WHO norms and standards

WHO has played a key role for over 50 years in establishing the WHO Biological Reference Materials necessary to standardize biological materials as well as developing WHO guidelines and recommendations on the production and control of biological products and technologies. These norms and standards, based on scientific consensus achieved through international consultations, assist WHO Member States in ensuring the quality and safety of biological medicines and related in vitro biological diagnostic tests worldwide. The Organization accomplishes this work through its biological programme, the WHO Collaborating Centers, and the WHO Expert Committee on Biological Standardization (ECBS). This also involves close collaboration with the international scientific and professional communities, regional and national regulatory authorities, manufacturers and expert laboratories worldwide."

https://www.who.int/immunization_standards/en/
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27106 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On Aug 12, 2020, Dannydoyle wrote:
I forget is there a SARS vaccine.
So far no SARS(2002) vaccine.
About testing vaccines - does not look like international standards are agreed so much as discussed:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4778966/
...to all the coins I've dropped here
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16043 Posts

Profile of tommy
The unprecedented challenge of pricing a coronavirus vaccine

https://pharmaphorum.com/views-analysis-......vaccine/
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27106 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Thanks Tommy, they have a trendy (ios 14?) color scheme and empty capsule logo.

Larger discussion has already set the stage to offer "treatment" rather than cure.
Quote:
On Aug 13, 2020, tommy wrote:
The unprecedented challenge of pricing a coronavirus vaccine

Maybe this will sound familiar: Affordable treatment but only gives 90 day protection or the one twice the price gets you 12 months.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6635 Posts

Profile of magicfish
"That's what the World Health Organization is meant to do."

Except they don't.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20426 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Aug 17, 2020, magicfish wrote:

Except they don't.

Not by a long shot.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4961 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:

Except they don't.

Yes, it's a voluntary organization; it requires the good will and support of member nations that know how to act co-operatively. Some countries are more capable of that than others.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20426 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Aug 17, 2020, landmark wrote:
Quote:

Except they don't.

Yes, it's a voluntary organization; it requires the good will and support of member nations that know how to act co-operatively. Some countries are more capable of that than others.

It requires a hive mind.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
lynnef
View Profile
Inner circle
1355 Posts

Profile of lynnef
"If we hadn't broken every single WHO rule many times over, we would never have defeated smallpox." (Isao Arita from Japan WHO team cited in Laurie Garrett's book The Coming Plague). Although a smallpox vaccine existed, cases devistatingly still popped up in war torn parts of Africa in the 70's. WHO guidelines at the time would not allow Arita to meet with warlords in Somalia; but he went anyway at great peril to his own life. (why would warlords trust a 'Western' scientist to vaccinate his troops?). Arita was successful in his arguments, vaccinated the soldiers (and others in Somalia); and smallpox was declared in 1980 (ironically by WHO) to be "eradicated" from Earth. Although we wave our national flags, these tiny enemies have no flag. Lynn
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6635 Posts

Profile of magicfish
WHO is detrimental to world health.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4961 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
On Aug 19, 2020, magicfish wrote:
WHO is detrimental to world health.

Leaders of countries who pretended that there was no problem.
Francois Lagrange
View Profile
Loyal user
Paris, France
257 Posts

Profile of Francois Lagrange
WHO is far from perfect, but spewing propagandist garbbage against it is not helping.

And it's well-known that smallpox was eradicated thanks to WHO's spectacular efforts. Isao Arita actually led the WHO team that eradicated the disease.
Protect me from my friends, I'll take care of my enemies.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20426 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Aug 19, 2020, Francois Lagrange wrote:
WHO is far from perfect, but spewing propagandist garbbage against it is not helping.

And it's well-known that smallpox was eradicated thanks to WHO's spectacular efforts. Isao Arita actually led the WHO team that eradicated the disease.

You seem to imply that their distance from perfection is somehow caused by people who point out how far they are from perfect.

When they do things OBVIOUSLY wrong (Not hard to find examples is it? Even recent ones huh?) then they need to be called out and judged whether they are useful or not. This is not propaganda, it is simply how the world works.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » The Russian Vaccine » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (5 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL