The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » IDrop by Tim Ellis (9 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6748 Posts

Profile of videoman
I disagree. The amount of pieces it breaks into is definitely controllable and should be controlled. It can’t just be breaking randomly where not intended to break.
If it did break into 3 pieces almost immediately then people would have every right to claim it was bad quality.

So you’re expecting it to possibly break into an unknown amount of pieces each time? You’re aware that you have to put it back together into a stable unit after each performance, correct?
JackMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1986 Posts

Profile of JackMagic
Quote:
On Aug 15, 2020, videoman wrote:
I disagree. The amount of pieces it breaks into is definitely controllable and should be controlled. It can’t just be breaking randomly where not intended to break.
If it did break into 3 pieces almost immediately then people would have every right to claim it was bad quality.

So you’re expecting it to possibly break into an unknown amount of pieces each time? You’re aware that you have to put it back together into a stable unit after each performance, correct?

The whole point is Titansa says it

breaks" into several pieces

but this info in incorrect it breaks into just 2 pieces

Also let’s face it

87% of IPhone users have a case for the Phone so
Very limited use

And let’s not forget even if you happen to find one of the 13%
of users that has a phone without a case

With the current conditions are they going to lead you a IPhone

This is probably the worse timed Magic Trick of the year !!
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6748 Posts

Profile of videoman
I get it about Titanas, but I also understand and accept that I have no say or control over how companies choose to market their products or the way in which Steve Brooks allows them to do so. Sometimes Titanas gets his facts wrong. I agree he shouldn’t but then nobody is perfect so I don’t let it cause me any stress.
I would rather accept it, don’t worry, and be happy!!!!

But also be aware that Titanas being able to do what he does, whether you like it or agree with it, is also in large part responsible for TMC being able to exist.
Because I enjoy the Café I willingly accept that trade off.

Now as far as this particular product...I may agree with you. Not sure how useful it will be but Tim Ellis is a talented guy so I’m withholding judgement until I know more about it. I’m willing to give Tim the benefit of the doubt.
Michael Dustman
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
1223 Posts

Profile of Michael Dustman
I wouldn't say it is the worst timed release, but the current global situation doesn't help. I never heard what the hold-up was on the release, but this was originally slated for a late 2018 release. It made its debut if I remember correctly at MAGIC Live that summer. I think a couple units were sold. Had been watching for this for a while.
Troyze
View Profile
New user
Johannesburg
97 Posts

Profile of Troyze
I do agree that it should be controlled but from a product point, it is impossible for the nature of the routine. you can't control the fall therefore you can't control the outcome.

something is bound to break.

dummy phone that came come apart is like cell phone hard case material.

if you drop your phone. your case cracks differently than another person.

phone case aren't supposed to break or crack in my opinion but the reality is it will and people accept the face that does break.

Quote:

victors911
View Profile
Regular user
110 Posts

Profile of victors911
Somebody performed to real people? how they will react to this?
From my country- I think they don't believe )) possible it will works at stage from distance.
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6748 Posts

Profile of videoman
Yes, after a hundred or so performances but it shouldn’t right away.

Quote:
On Aug 15, 2020, Troyze wrote:
I do agree that it should be controlled but from a product point, it is impossible for the nature of the routine. you can't control the fall therefore you can't control the outcome.

something is bound to break.

dummy phone that came come apart is like cell phone hard case material.

if you drop your phone. your case cracks differently than another person.

phone case aren't supposed to break or crack in my opinion but the reality is it will and people accept the face that does break.

Quote:

efrados
View Profile
Regular user
Montevideo, Uruguay
119 Posts

Profile of efrados
I love the idea of it ... but I'm as worried as everyone else about how to deal with different phones... you can buy 2 o 3 different kind of dummy phones on ebay but in small shows you might not get lucky... I would be nice to know that there is some kind of plan b, double talk or something to deal with phone-cases or different phones... thanks in advance with any info
MaxfieldsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Instead of practicing, I made
3009 Posts

Profile of MaxfieldsMagic
I really like this. Assuming there’s a crowd of any size, you can get them to hold their phones up and pick a volunteer with the correct type of phone. If you order from Vanishing Inc, for a small upgrade they’ll send an Android breakable phone as well. And the bag - OMG you can do a lot with this bag. I’m thinking of using it for a Malini Card Stab.
Now appearing nightly in my basement.
Phatmeat
View Profile
Special user
Silver Spring, Maryland
748 Posts

Profile of Phatmeat
I wonder what the Android phone provided looks like cuz there's tons of different Android phones out there.
Tim Ellis
View Profile
V.I.P.
Melbourne, Australia
1234 Posts

Profile of Tim Ellis
Hi Guys,

To address your concerns:

1 - iDrop was to come out two years ago, it was delayed as Vanishing Inc were aiming to release the full package with the nest of boxes etc included. Ultimately, they spend a lot of money on R&D but it was going to be too expensive to post out. Instead, you get a pdf with instructions on how to make both the nest of boxes and the box that vanishes the pieces as well - free

2 - Yes, the phone is designed to break into two (or three) pieces and reassemble. You can create the effect shown in the video by adding extra pieces to the gimmick, but that would be more for a prank type effect. You also get that effect if you use a dummy phone bought from eBay - but you'll only get one or two uses out of it.

3 - Cases. In my performances I ask my audience to hold up their phones as I need to choose one that works (for an alleged psychic effect I say I will perform with their phone) and I ask them to take their phones out of their cases because "I don't want to damage the case" (which gets a small laugh.)

4 - Percentage of iPhone users? I have performed this in ALL of my corporate shows over the last four years. I have a second bag with a white dummy iPhone in it - that I have never had to use - and I always find at least 5 phones in the audience I can use.

5 - Routining. The reason I get a second person to bring the phone onto stage instead of the owner is twofold: First, when that person thinks they have broken another person's phone the reaction is MUCH stronger. Second, they are not familiar with the phone so when they pick up the pieces from the floor they don't say "Hang on.. that's not my phone".

6 - Pranking. When we filmed the promo video in the foyer at PCAM, the big guy you see react to his phone hitting the ground had a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT looking phone. I thought there would be no way we'd get away with this. I had him drop his phone into the bag, he held the bag, shook it, the dummy dropped and smashed and he freaked and I thought he was about to kill me... until he looked at the pieces and realised it was not his phone. (I then picked up the pieces, put them back in the bag and "restored" his phone. He LOVED it.

7 - This trick, like all tricks, is not for everyone. I created it for me. I wanted a broken spectators object moment that look real. This does exactly that. I NEVER touch the phone. The spectator is in charge of the borrowed phone. They "accidentally" break it. The moment it hits the ground is gold. (SIDE NOTE: I have tried using dummy iPhones that don't break on impact like the iDrop gimmick does... that results in an uncomfortable moment.. not gasps and laughs. The fact that the phone just drops is way too real. The phone breaking apart is shocking but also subconsciously unbelievable... so people are not upset with you, they are shocked, then realise it must be part of the act somehow.

8 - If you have any questions, queries or concerns... you can message Vanishing Inc because they manufactured this item and stand by it, or you can email me directly at Tim@MagicUnlimited.com

9 - If you think it's not going to work for you. Don't buy it. I won't be offended Smile

ENJOY!
Tim Ellis
View Profile
V.I.P.
Melbourne, Australia
1234 Posts

Profile of Tim Ellis
Sorry, one point I didn't address

10 - Social Distancing. The routine I perform with this in my Socially Distanced show is not that much different to what you see on the video. "I would like to borrow an iPhone but, because of Social Distancing, I can't touch it." I choose a phone, give another spectator a disposable gloves, they bring the phone up and drop it into the bag (me keeping my distance.. sometimes I use tongs for comic effect). They shake the bag, the phone drops and breaks. They pick up the pieces with gloved hand and drop them into the box.. they vanish. Phone owner comes on and is given gloves too. I offer the gag giant iPhone or Contract to sign (you'll understand in the video instructions) then tell them to reach into the big bag on stage, take out the box and they open the nest of boxes.

BECAUSE I NEVER TOUCH THE PHONE FOR SOCIAL DISTANCING REASONS - THE EFFECT IS EVEN STRONGER.

But again, if it doesn't suit your style, that's cool. I'm very happy with this routine and it has become a requested feature in my show.
MonsterMagic
View Profile
Special user
517 Posts

Profile of MonsterMagic
This is an incredible routine, the gimmicked bag provides a super clean visual switch and the dummy phone is impeccable. I assume it is the type vodafone etc use as display models.

I'd happily pay £50 for the gimmicks. But the routine is so worked Tim gets to give you every detail and nuance, so rare in releases today.

It's worth £100 easy.
Doric
View Profile
Special user
791 Posts

Profile of Doric
Pretending to break someone's phone is about as funny as hitting them in the face.
reese
View Profile
Inner circle
of Hell
1332 Posts

Profile of reese
[quote]On Aug 22, 2020, Doric wrote:
Pretending to break someone's phone is about as funny as hitting them in the face. [/quote
Pretending to chop off someone's wrist is as funny as hitting them in the face with a pie. HA HA HA. Pretending to smash someone's watch and then restore it is as funny as hitting them in the face ( with a pie?) Destroying a borrowed bill and restoring it is as funny as hitting someone in the face with a pie. Idrop works for my imagination. I have uses for it. It excites me
reese
View Profile
Inner circle
of Hell
1332 Posts

Profile of reese
Putting a borrowed ring into a small metal box, you turn the handle. It creates a terrible grinding noise. You dump out the pieces. And you restore it! It's like eating pie!
reese
View Profile
Inner circle
of Hell
1332 Posts

Profile of reese
Doric?
You don't like pie? (My favorite is crawfish pie) A savory cajun dish.
pegasus
View Profile
Eternal Order
United Kingdom
10537 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Quote:
On Aug 22, 2020, Doric wrote:
Pretending to break someone's phone is about as funny as hitting them in the face.

Or them hitting you in the face.
reese
View Profile
Inner circle
of Hell
1332 Posts

Profile of reese
It's how you perform it. If you're a jerk... then you have that possibility . If you're an Entertainer... then everyone is having fun. I'm not gonna spell out how that happens.
reignofsound
View Profile
Inner circle
Glasgow, UK
2200 Posts

Profile of reignofsound
Mine arrived today.
Props are well made and some great ideas on the instructional video.
Looking forward to testing.

Only thing I would have liked would have been an easier solution for retrieving their phone once zipped.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » IDrop by Tim Ellis (9 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL