The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Any other teachers on here? (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
greerj
View Profile
Loyal user
East Tennessee
255 Posts

Profile of greerj
Any other teachers on here? I was wondering how your school system was handling things and how it was going? 7-12 teacher here, in northeast TN.
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
When I played soccer, I hit
1823 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
I'm in the Seattle, WA area, and I taught in Boston, MA many years ago.

But I do have a neighbor who is an active teacher, and he is currently enjoying lots of quality time with his wife and 3 kids.
Arthur Stead
royalty-free music and interactive routines
www.arthurstead.com
karnak
View Profile
Special user
Colorado
589 Posts

Profile of karnak
I'm a Denver community college instructor, but all of my classes have always been online, so for me and my own students basically nothing has changed (insofar as just my classes themselves go).

But I've had at least one student who did come down with COVID (it was rough, but he's OK now), and several other students who work in healthcare who've been slammed with the workload and stress and other impacts of dealing with the outbreak.
For a supernatural chiller mixing magic (prestidigitation, legerdemain) with Magic (occultism, mysticism), check out my novel MAGIC: AN OCCULT THRILLER at http://www.amazon.com/Magic-Occult-Thriller-Reed-Hall/dp/1453874836
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2485 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
Southern California. We are teaching pretty close to 100% online. Some teachers around here have the rather silly choice of teaching online from home, or teaching online from their classroom. Me? I don't like it. I've been doing it for a week now. I get almost no feedback from the students. Most have cameras off so I can't even tell if they are laughing at my jokes.
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16029 Posts

Profile of tommy
I am not a teacher but still, over here in England the government, as opposed to teachers, have made huge mess of exam results; https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-53795831
Essentially, the government here, did not trust the teachers to deal with it.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
4972 Posts

Profile of RNK
Quote:
On Aug 22, 2020, Cliffg37 wrote:
Southern California. We are teaching pretty close to 100% online. Some teachers around here have the rather silly choice of teaching online from home, or teaching online from their classroom. Me? I don't like it. I've been doing it for a week now. I get almost no feedback from the students. Most have cameras off so I can't even tell if they are laughing at my jokes.

My best friend teaches elementary school. He is livid about teaching online and wants to go back. My boys can't stand online learning, they say they do not learn anything. Their school district is doing hybrid learning- 2 days for last names beginning A-L and K-Z go other 2 days. To me that's just weird- if your going to go back at all, GO. Let the parents decide what's best for their kids. After all, they are OUR kids and we have to deal with anything that happens as a result of our decisions.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4911 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
we have to deal with anything that happens as a result of our decisions.

So, you will take responsibility for anything that happens to the adults in the school? Or are they just collateral damage?
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20370 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Aug 25, 2020, landmark wrote:
Quote:

So, you will take responsibility for anything that happens to the adults in the school? Or are they just collateral damage?

How long do we live in fear?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
slowkneenuh
View Profile
Regular user
After 5,167+ posts, only credited with
128 Posts

Profile of slowkneenuh
Some would say we are living prudently given the circumstances, not in fear.
John

"A poor workman always blames his tools"
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2485 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
If nothing else, the last few posts on this thread do make clear that there is no easy answer. I don't like teaching online. I do better live in the classroom. I know it, and so do my students. My daughter does not like taking online classes either.

Am I afraid of the virus? Yes and no. I rarely get sick. I am the guy who somehow got a case of Mono, and only missed three days of teaching for it. Three days? some people are down for weeks from that virus. However, I am fairly sure that if I return to the classroom, masked or not, that teaching in a densely populated area, I will probably get the virus in what ever form it hits me with.

Who will I then give it to besides my family?

The correct answer is obviously above my pay grade.
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4911 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
On Aug 25, 2020, Dannydoyle wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

Who is this we? It's teachers who are taking the risk. There are schools with no masks received, though they've been ordered, no sanitizers. There are schools with no room to socially distance. What's the plan for when a child refuses to wear his mask, or a student starts running around the room because she's bored and wants to liven things up and starts pulling the mask off other children? I can guarantee you that will happen. I can also say, like probably most teachers of young people, that every year or every other year that I taught full time, I would end up with the flu. No big deal. Except this time it is.

It's true there is no easy answer, but to act as if the people who staff the school should have no say in the matter on how to do it safely is absolutely ridiculous and a good way to have a strike on your hands.
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
4972 Posts

Profile of RNK
Quote:
Quote:

So you're saying doctors and nurses should abandon their jobs to? I guess you believe police should abandon their jobs to for the 1% that are bad cops? I guess you think grocery store clerks and workers should abandon their jobs to? Heck, why don't we all abandon our jobs and hope that everything is given to us.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4911 Posts

Profile of landmark
You speak about "our" decisions, but have avoided responsibility once again for the results of those decisions. Working people are not personal servants, signing up for work regardless of personal safety. Those who do risk safety, like LE and military, get compensated for that, something that they knowingly sign up for. How ridiculous to think that some grocery worker being paid $10/hr should risk her life for your comfort.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16029 Posts

Profile of tommy
Over here they have just set up a lockdown system for schools. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-53954642

Roughly, if there is an outbreak in the area they close down for a couple of weeks or altogether depending on the size of it.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
4972 Posts

Profile of RNK
Quote:
On Aug 30, 2020, landmark wrote:
You speak about "our" decisions, but have avoided responsibility once again for the results of those decisions. Working people are not personal servants, signing up for work regardless of personal safety. Those who do risk safety, like LE and military, get compensated for that, something that they knowingly sign up for. How ridiculous to think that some grocery worker being paid $10/hr should risk her life for your comfort.

So you're saying Nurses, doctors, medical experts should not go to work either?
Lol.

So let's just shut down the whole world and covid will just conveniently go away. Just like the flu goes away.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4911 Posts

Profile of landmark
How foolish. Do you think doctors and nurses don't understand that there is a risk of disease when they do their job? Instead of your nonsense, fight for getting them funds and equipment to do their job safely. Take some responsibility instead of expecting people to serve you on a silver platter.
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
4972 Posts

Profile of RNK
Quote:
On Aug 30, 2020, landmark wrote:
How foolish. Do you think doctors and nurses don't understand that there is a risk of disease when they do their job? Instead of your nonsense, fight for getting them funds and equipment to do their job safely. Take some responsibility instead of expecting people to serve you on a silver platter.

LOL! That's it? Ok, we have so much equipment that the President made readily available and because places such as New York who pleaded for ventilators didn't even use a fraction of them! They made so many (in record time) that we are now shipping them oversees to other countries. So keep trying Landmark. And do you think Teachers understand that there is a risk in doing there job now? Not to mention the risk is SO minimal. We now no, the CDC finally (quietly) released the true death numbers. Ready? 94% of the 100% Covid deaths are from people that dies NOT just of Covid but had a serious underlying health condition, i.e. heart attack from having diabetes or previous heart problems (but had covid to so it counts toward covid death numbers). You have a better chance of dying from a shark attack than Covid if you have no underlying conditions or are under 20 years old. There are more annual deaths from Tuberculosis than Covid deaths in healthy and young people. So keep drinking the Kool-Aid.

Maybe we should just shut down the world and when we do so, Covid will just magically go away! NOT, lol....
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4911 Posts

Profile of landmark
Please volunteer to teach, RNK, since you believe the risk is so minimal. Actually make yourself useful. Because there'll be quite a few openings this year.

Teachers who are over 20 are at risk. And unless you're talking about an orphanage, the parents of students are at risk. Young people can still transmit the virus.

And this nonsensical trope about deaths only affecting people with heart problems or TB. As if it's all right to put those people at risk for death. They don't really matter, let's write them off. In what world is that okay? I guess the one where the Lieutenant Governor of Texas says grandparents are willing to die to revive the economy. I'm waiting for the volunteer hands to go up. Thanks for the Death Panels.

And finally, compare total deaths from all causes this year with total deaths last year from all causes. It's tens of thousands more. So the misattribution lie holds no water. If heart deaths were being listed as COVID deaths, there would still be the same number of expected deaths per year, not tens of thousands more.
slowkneenuh
View Profile
Regular user
After 5,167+ posts, only credited with
128 Posts

Profile of slowkneenuh
Everyone keeps talking about how the Covid virus seriously affects ONLY those with underlying health conditions,

From The National Health Council;

Generally incurable and ongoing, chronic diseases affect approximately 133 million Americans, representing more than 40% of the total population of this country.

By 2020, that number is projected to grow to an estimated 157 million, with 81 million having multiple conditions.

About half of all adults have a chronic condition, and approximately 8 percent of children ages 5 to 17 were reported by their parents to have limited activities due to at least one chronic disease or disability.

More and more people are living with not just one chronic illness, such as diabetes, heart disease or depression, but with two or more conditions. Almost a third of the population is now living with multiple chronic conditions.
John

"A poor workman always blames his tools"
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20370 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle

Let's say there is NEVER a vaccine. A very real possibility by the way. How long do we live in fear? How long do we shut down and live in cave and wear masks?

Fear is a killer also.

What if heard immunity is the only way forward? We would already be there by now is we didn't try to hide.

So again how do we live in fear of something like this? Oh and how much liberty will you sacrifice to feel safe?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Any other teachers on here? (3 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL