The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Any other teachers on here? (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4911 Posts

Profile of landmark
The fear I have is partly, but not primarily, of the virus.

The fear I have is of politicians and others only giving lip service, rather than actually doing something about supporting workers, students and their parents. Those who demand opening schools and businesses while not at the same time demanding that there be stringent guidelines and support of workers who are on the front lines, give their game away. And yet over and over again we see that it is exactly these same people who are demanding cuts in regulatory actions and healthcare, demanding that businesses not be held liable for any health problems that employees encounter because of their jobs and inadequate measures taken. And for the regulations that are being put in place, they will make sure that they are not enforced.

We've seen this game in other places: pretend concern, but actually undermine any action towards helping workers, and instaed, give a pass to owners.

By the way, as a former teacher, I think video instruction is horrible. But over and over again we see these pronouncements by people who care not one bit about the health of teachers or children, and do nothing to suggest a way to manage things safely. Instead they try to pretend that there's not even a safety issue here. They think their denials will take obviate the need to think through things carefully. Are new school spaces being built, as in other countries? Are healthcare measures being instituted, as in other countries? Is testing being ramped up, as in other countries? No, no, and no.

That is what I fear.

And already you can see at the colleges in Ohio and North Carolina, where they opened early, the debacle that's occurring.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20370 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
So no answer huh?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4911 Posts

Profile of landmark
If you didn't have time to read the above, here's the short version:

Quote:
How long do we shut down?

It's not rocket science; when this happens:

Quote:
new school spaces being built, as in other countries? Are healthcare measures being instituted, as in other countries? Is testing being ramped up, as in other countries?

Americans are smart. They can solve problems when they stop denying that there's no problem.
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2485 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
Landmark said... "By the way, as a former teacher, I think video instruction is horrible."

Agreed Landmark. Students learn less than nothing from watching videos. I can make a case for "guided" videos, but that if for another time. What can work and what I hope we are doing is Online instruction. I am teaching, I can field questions, I can give homework, and most of my students will do it.
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20370 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Sep 6, 2020, landmark wrote:
If you didn't have time to read the above, here's the short version:

Quote:
How long do we shut down?

It's not rocket science; when this happens:

Quote:
new school spaces being built, as in other countries? Are healthcare measures being instituted, as in other countries? Is testing being ramped up, as in other countries?

Americans are smart. They can solve problems when they stop denying that there's no problem.

No answer at all just platitudes as always.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4911 Posts

Profile of landmark
And your non-platitudinous solution is...?
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16029 Posts

Profile of tommy
Google, what is 2 + 2
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Any other teachers on here? (3 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL