The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » New from Dark Artifice, Bobby Hasbun: R1TUAL (107 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
Seth speaks
View Profile
Inner circle
New Mexico
1341 Posts

Profile of Seth speaks
@reese that is awesome, sir! I am DEFINITELY going to play the game for real... I feel obligated, now!!

This thing is a treasure, a beauty, an object of true fascination. Every detail is perfect. I was actually worried it would look too new, but Bobby has created this thing to look perfectly aged--not too much, not too little. It simply IS a genuine game from 1972, and no one will dispute this. The design is a delight. If anyone is on the fence, I would go for it! I trust Bobby when he says the second run will still look great, but clearly this is the one to grab!

SO many ways of playing this, so many cool possibilities! I love Merlinsmagic's suggestion of Creepypasta, gets the gears turning..!

Thank you Bobby!!! This is a gift from a true Bizarrist, and will be loved by both performers and collectors.

Seth
steven-gibson
View Profile
Special user
Eastcoastspiritsessions.com
888 Posts

Profile of steven-gibson
This offering is absolutely incredible. One of the best things that has come along in years. Buy it.
topherhester
View Profile
Loyal user
287 Posts

Profile of topherhester
I’ve had mine for a few days now. I’ve been a fan of Bobby’s since Cod3x V. How could I not be, considering my middle name is Bobby, my sons name is Bobby, my dads name was Bobby, and my wife’s dad was Bobby. It was just meant to be...

Everything seems well made and put together and I especially like the simplicity of the effect. My favorite thing about this, is you could actually play the game, ungimmicked, and people would still have an awesome time. I actually plan on playing this on a few different nights with the same group of people. On the 3rd night of getting together over a period of a few weeks, I may slip into performance mode and set up a word reveal or two. How powerful would this be if the first few times people played, maybe an occasional word came through but nothing with meaning... but weeks later, after doing something different before playing, something speaks and hits hard. I do a lot with K0nx@ri Cards and I rarely stack them or force anything. It’s just one of those games that can be interpreted so subjectively, that it really doesn’t need any nudging. I plan on treating this the same way. Or maybe I’ll have a few K0nx@ri sessions and then bust this out at a future get together. When you perform for the same people routinely, don’t be afraid to milk things out over the course of weeks. I don’t even think it needs a really detailed background. I’ve had a few conversations about it already with friends and family (who are outside the magic world) and I just said “yeah it was a supposed to be a competitor to the ou!ja board but never took off”. No one has questioned deeper than that. If they do, then I could drop a few more details but I think it would be TOO suspicious to know every single detail about its creators and the company. People don’t even know that much about ou!ja’s origins and it’s so well known... all my friends already know I like to shop at odd antique store is, curiosity shops, and “online underground marketplaces”... so it’s not even far fetched to come across something like this. Heck, it’s probably more believable than some things I’ve actually bought at some antique shops around here.

Unlike A LOT of bizarre magic that I’ve bought, used once, and now it collects dust on a shelf, I will actually use this. It’s a great conversation piece. I have it displayed on a shelf so in the event that someone goes “what is that?” It opens up the invite for gathering a few friends for a “game night”. That is... as soon as this global pandemic slows down!

Bobby, you’ve done it again, you mad genius you! Thank you for your creativity!
Dr SH
View Profile
Elite user
French Spirit in Sydney
420 Posts

Profile of Dr SH
Bonjour from Australia.

The spirits summoned me ... life have been a little busy here but this new effect from Bobby definitely revive my magical excitements. So many good reviews in the Café already.

I love R1tual.
Bobby is able to put things together that not everyone can. The background story is great (a board game competitor of the OuiJa Board-game), the board game is very well made, everything is matching the story and the age. Bobby went above and beyond our expectation, every little detail matches together with story, even the plastic tray in the box matches the era of the box. I cannot imagine how much time he took to design every little piece.
The pdf is easy to follow and clear (thank you). I love the roller coaster of emotion..."intriguing" than "only a fun game", than "is it possible" than "really, no ?".
I can generate very quickly lots of possible use. Should I use it after showing and explaining the story behind the ouija board? Should I use it part of another story , maybe the young girl of the The Ragdale House Affair (Stephen Young) were using it before she disappeared?

Not easy to contact spirits but luckily, we have a few tools. We had the OuiJa board, hand rapping, automatic writing, we had some manifestation cabinets, we had spirit trumpets…… , and we have now R1tual.

Scary to see how many messages and thread I miss in here..... feel a little overwhelming but exiting at the same time…...dont hesitate to say D'day mate or Bonjour if I am connected.
Daisydog
View Profile
Regular user
186 Posts

Profile of Daisydog
Quote:
On Sep 20, 2020, Dr SH wrote:
Bonjour from Australia.

The spirits summoned me ... life have been a little busy here but this new effect from Bobby definitely revive my magical excitements. So many good reviews in the Café already.

I love R1tual.
Bobby is able to put things together that not everyone can. The background story is great (a board game competitor of the OuiJa Board-game), the board game is very well made, everything is matching the story and the age. Bobby went above and beyond our expectation, every little detail matches together with story, even the plastic tray in the box matches the era of the box. I cannot imagine how much time he took to design every little piece.
The pdf is easy to follow and clear (thank you). I love the roller coaster of emotion..."intriguing" than "only a fun game", than "is it possible" than "really, no ?".
I can generate very quickly lots of possible use. Should I use it after showing and explaining the story behind the ouija board? Should I use it part of another story , maybe the young girl of the The Ragdale House Affair (Stephen Young) were using it before she disappeared?

Not easy to contact spirits but luckily, we have a few tools. We had the OuiJa board, hand rapping, automatic writing, we had some manifestation cabinets, we had spirit trumpets…… , and we have now R1tual.

Scary to see how many messages and thread I miss in here..... feel a little overwhelming but exiting at the same time…...dont hesitate to say D'day mate or Bonjour if I am connected.

Looking forward to getting this. It's on its way. Thanks for the reference to The Ragdale House Affair. I'd never seen that before and I love Stephen's effects so I'll be buying that PDF! His ESP test cards effect were performed one of the first times I had ever performed in front of a crowd. It was tough thinking on my feet but it worked a treat and went down a storm! Cheers!
topherhester
View Profile
Loyal user
287 Posts

Profile of topherhester
Also, for size reference... the board is folded into four quarters so you can see the size of the box in comparison to things like Or@culum and WA in this photo (the board is huge):

https://drive.google.com/file/d/161WM7WV......drivesdk

Plus it looks SO GOOD displayed in one of my cabinets.... a focal piece for sure!!

Anyone else displaying theirs?
papalazarou
View Profile
Regular user
147 Posts

Profile of papalazarou
Beautiful display! Thank you so much for sharing.
Pasteboard Alchemist
View Profile
Elite user
487 Posts

Profile of Pasteboard Alchemist
Quote:
On Sep 21, 2020, topherhester wrote:
Anyone else displaying theirs?

Neat display! My display is a little more "hidden" in the house, taking up the entirety of a walk-in closet. Even though it appears like an obsessive that just crams shelves full of books upon wooden crates upon random oddities, it's all meticulously placed to accentuate key pieces and get people to focus on the things I want them to. When I do bring someone to see it, I like that it increases the secretive feeling of the thing (like they're getting a peek into some questionable obsession of mine that I usually hide from most--which, actually is pretty *** true. Haha!) I'm currently in the process of pulling all the stuff out and restructuring it all so that I can have a shelf dedicated to more modern (1940s on, or so) occult, so I have a spot to give R1tual top billing/most focus because the thing demands to be used.

Quote:
On Sep 18, 2020, topherhester wrote:
My favorite thing about this, is you could actually play the game, ungimmicked, and people would still have an awesome time. I actually plan on playing this on a few different nights with the same group of people. On the 3rd night of getting together over a period of a few weeks, I may slip into performance mode and set up a word reveal or two.

You couldn't have hit the nail more on the head. That's what I love most about it, as well. It's a great night of occult fun, without even stacking the deck (pun!) in your favor.

Here's what I'm thinking: I'm about to use this for the first time with some "quaranteamed" friends that--funnily enough--I just found out are wildly into ghosts/spiritualism (after years of knowing them, no less--it was all I could do to not squeal with glee.) I think playing successive times is definitely key. The cool thing is, we can set people up for increased excitement by slowly revealing that it's working over multiple plays. First time? Perhaps nothing. Second time, maybe the initial reveal to show contact was made, but a questionable (or no) pre-set second/final reveal. The, the third time, hit 'em with both barrels.

So many possibilities with this. The more I think back on how many times over my life people have produced a Parker Bros or Hasbro ouija board to play, the more I realize that this is probably the smartest bizarre prop I could imagine created--the audience is already primed/conditioned to want to play the thing.
roblane
View Profile
Special user
Say 'toast' five times, toast toast.....
777 Posts

Profile of roblane
Mine has made it across the pond and cleared customs so should be with me soon.
Definition of a Freudian slip; Saying one thing and meaning a "mother"!
gothicmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Ubiquitous
1313 Posts

Profile of gothicmagic
It is indeed a beautiful item, simple to perform yet effective and beautifully crafted
Vlad ^0^
One of The Founding Fathers of The East Coast Spirit Sessions & Co Producer of Bizarre hauntings
ECSS I,II,III,IV,V,VI
Order of the Hexidic
roblane
View Profile
Special user
Say 'toast' five times, toast toast.....
777 Posts

Profile of roblane
Collected mine from the post office today. The fact that looks exactly like 70’s board game has already been stated but I can’t help repeating it, wow! Gonna be playing this on Halloween for sure. Amazing stuff Bobby, well done 👍🏻
Definition of a Freudian slip; Saying one thing and meaning a "mother"!
papalazarou
View Profile
Regular user
147 Posts

Profile of papalazarou
Cannot wait - mine arrives tomorrow!
jglumley
View Profile
Loyal user
Kansas City
240 Posts

Profile of jglumley
This fits right in with board games of the period. I am also a collector and I have lots of games from around the time frame. I LOVE it. Great quality the design is awesome. In the right atmosphere this will be super freaky.

The "18"
steven-gibson
View Profile
Special user
Eastcoastspiritsessions.com
888 Posts

Profile of steven-gibson
Has anyone played as a game? Any interesting messages?
pulpscrypt
View Profile
New user
The Shadows
80 Posts

Profile of pulpscrypt
R1tual is an amazing prop and effect. Meticulously atmospheric. Bobby has created a "game" changer if you will, especially for the Hallowe'en season.

Since one of the games rules is NEVER PLAY IT TWICE, I thought that may be a fun presentation. Play the game once freely, without any setup. If something works, it works. If not, dare to "break the rules" and play it a second time.

Through a bit of distraction, ring in a second, stacked deck. (Bobby MAY have a few additional decks to sell at an additional, reasonable price.

Then freak out your victi... er guests.

That's my plan for this Hallowe'en, along with a few other, dark classics!
Pasteboard Alchemist
View Profile
Elite user
487 Posts

Profile of Pasteboard Alchemist
There's a link to a blog post "down below" in the Crypt (so Google won't pick it up) R1tual thread that will be of interest to anyone lucky enough to own a copy of this.
pulpscrypt
View Profile
New user
The Shadows
80 Posts

Profile of pulpscrypt
How many posts do I need to access the "Crypt?"
Winks
View Profile
Special user
Arizona
728 Posts

Profile of Winks
If I recall correctly, 50.
weepinwil
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
3457 Posts

Profile of weepinwil
Quote:
On Oct 3, 2020, Winks wrote:

You are correct. Just 50 more than required to enter the promised land. lol
"Til Death us do part!" - Weepin Willie
weepinwil
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
3457 Posts

Profile of weepinwil
Quote:
On Oct 3, 2020, Winks wrote:

Wow Winks, you are setting at 666 posts. Better get one more in to break the curse.
"Til Death us do part!" - Weepin Willie
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » New from Dark Artifice, Bobby Hasbun: R1TUAL (107 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL