The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » New from Dark Artifice, Bobby Hasbun: R1TUAL (107 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
David Eichler
View Profile
Grammar Host
Durham, ME
1752 Posts

Profile of David Eichler
Hi everyone,

So, last night I had a jam session with Bobby Hasbun who shared with me his latest effect that is about to go live and I asked if I could share my excitement here in Spooky. You may remember Bobby’s name from his first release, Codex V (https://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=527617&forum=14), or Inferno (https://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=567678&forum=14), and more recently he hit it out of the park with Oraculum (https://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=628703&forum=14). Now he has raised the bar to a new level with R1TUAL (I am using the numeral 1 in lieu of the letter ‘I’ to make it google-proof).

R1tual is a multi-phase performance piece that has been literally built from the ground up. There are no items which were bought on Amazon and then repurposed into an effect. This contains multiple custom made (and custom cast) pieces which are true to the 1970’s era from which it is set. 100% examinable, it can be used as an amazing reveal of information, or a name or customizable message from beyond the veil.

I am not only thinking how it can be used as a part of a seance, but as an effect to showcase as a stand-alone piece of theater.

If you are not already on the Dark Artifice mailing list, I’d encourage you to consider signing up to be kept in the know for when he releases new effects (which sometimes carry a discount code). As a matter of fact, I know he will have a discount code available for those who purchase it within the first 30 days after it is released (or when the 100 first editions sell out, whichever occurs first). If you are not receiving his mailing list, consider signing up at his website (or you can see the effect here:
https://darkartifice.com/products/ritual
I believe a code will be going out early this morning for those in the know… you may be able to persuade him to share the code with you at bobby@darkartifice.com.

While we were talking I asked how quickly I can get it, as I want to incorporate it into my Halloween evening. He said that they will be shipping before the end of September and I should have no problem getting it well in advance of Halloween. I will share this is not a paid advertisement - I will be purchasing this just as I have done with each of his effects. Bobby is one of the creators who not only releases top effects, but the level of thought and detail that goes into the production and routining are at the very top level of the creators of today.

Anyhow, I hope this excites your day!

David
topherhester
View Profile
Loyal user
286 Posts

Profile of topherhester
I was hoping there wouldn’t be a thread about this today.... with that said, I ordered mine this morning.
RandyScott
View Profile
Loyal user
258 Posts

Profile of RandyScott
It's been so difficult to keep quiet ever since Bobby dropped this on me back in May. I didn't believe it was anything other than a real spirit-contact board game from the 1970s, but after seeing the effect and the method, I realized what he'd done: create the most amazing bizarre prop...ever.
I did everything I could to convince him to sell it to me right then and there, but I've had to be patient.
My order is in.
Pasteboard Alchemist
View Profile
Elite user
488 Posts

Profile of Pasteboard Alchemist
Well, that was one surprising email to wake up to this morning.

I'm floored by how amazing this looks, and--even more so--how the thing has an implied backstory just by the fact it exists (thanks to other well-known spirit-themed board games from the time period.) The fact that the effect can be customized has my mind swimming with possibilities of different climax sayings and how approaches to presenting it--although I have no doubt that the mind behind Inferno has already come up with exponentially better for us.

There are very few props I've seen that, when the rubber hits the road, are unquestionably exactly what they appear to be and what we say they are. And I'm hard-pressed to think of one before this can be introduced into and used in a very casual, informal setting without it seeming out of place. I'm already in love with the thought of this taking a fun "Oh, I forgot about this. Let's try it!" evening slowly build up the drama until the big final phase reveal.

Needless to say, I'm just anxiously waiting by the mailbox, now.
David Eichler
View Profile
Grammar Host
Durham, ME
1752 Posts

Profile of David Eichler
So, after placing my order, this graced my inbox a little later in the day:
https://www.vanishingincplayingcards.com......enbutton

I picked it up at once. A bit of a roughing up and it will be a perfect compliment to a 1970's themed routine. One could think of using it to do Shane's effect from Pentalogy - Amanda's Great Magic Trick. The reveal could be tied together with R1tual.

Perhaps time to get a few other vintage 70's games ... Seance, Kabala (late 60's), Ouija...

What are some other thoughts for a nice tie-in?
jbonilla
View Profile
New user
13 Posts

Profile of jbonilla
Hey David I am planning a halloween evening. What would be your top 3 most spooky tricks / routines? THX!
Seth speaks
View Profile
Inner circle
New Mexico
1342 Posts

Profile of Seth speaks
That's a great idea, David! Maybe those cards are found, along with this game and some other vintage game items, in a genuinely old cardboard box from someone's grandma's attic, and once people get to exploring...

Gotta say, this is beautiful and looks absolutely authentic. Just inherently creepy, and I think there will be lots of nervous giggles long before the effect happens. What a nice surprise today! The love and skill put into this kit is astounding.

The simple instructions are just brilliant; this will hit hard when you need it to, and can be more subtle when you want. Also, it looks like it could possibly work in a casual Zoom performance, long as everyone can see everything clearly and you move for them. (Clearly this is best in person and up close, but given what's going on, just saying it might work in the right situation.)

I missed out on TKG--ain't gonna miss this. Thank you once again, Bobby!

Seth
reese
View Profile
Inner circle
of Hell
1252 Posts

Profile of reese
Hi David, The Whitman "Old Gypsy Fortune Telling Cards" were put out in the '40s and sold beyond then. It's a 36 card set of images made for children. The cards are small, meant for a child's hands. I have 2 sets of them from 1940. I think they're perfect for use in conjunction with Bobby's new offering. And Taylor Imagineering's "Sigma" is a utility device that can add a real punch to the climax.... a child's toy moves by itself... an open children's book slams shut by itself. "Go Away" Slam!
reese
View Profile
Inner circle
of Hell
1252 Posts

Profile of reese
B.T.W. the Whitman decks aren't for sale. Thx
David Eichler
View Profile
Grammar Host
Durham, ME
1752 Posts

Profile of David Eichler
Quote:
On Aug 25, 2020, jbonilla wrote:
Hey David I am planning a halloween evening. What would be your top 3 most spooky tricks / routines? THX!

Hi jbonilla- it’s hard to say “most spooky” as that can often be accomplished with minimal prior. For example, a pendulum and a story and perhaps a little ash. Or an old wine goblet and some index cards. If you’re wondering what are some available effects that are sold (or were sold) to be on the lookout in the secondary market, I’d recommend any of the following:
Spirit slates or candle or spirit lamp
The Resurrection Cemetery Gate Key
The Kn0w1ng Game (T.K.G.)
Oraculum
A switching box
The Cussing Cards
Anything by Peculiar Antiques
Inferno
A set of alphabet cards (my favorites are the ABC Revelation cards that Perkins put out through Lebanon Circle, to be used with some Dopps)
One or more Dopps
An antique fountain pen
The book Dance Avec Les Morts by Voodini

I could go on.

I‘m certain others would provide a different, and equally chilling, set of options.

And, these are just those things that I have direct experience with. If you asked me as of October 1st, I’d undoubtedly say ‘R1tual’.

Others?
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5476 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
Jbonilla, David's suggestions are all spot on, but I would ask you to tell us more about what kind of effects you are looking for, and what kind of gathering you'll be having?

If your gathering is intimate, where you have the full attention of your audience and a quiet location with few interruptions, a storytelling routine could suit you well. If you are in a party situation where there is loud laughter, distractions, people coming and going, I would opt for something lighter in tone with more obvious surprises and scares.
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5476 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
David, thank you so much for giving us a heads-up on this incredible new prop.

I haven't stopped thinking about the possibilities and have to say, as much as I adore all of the near-century "old" bizarre props that are out there, it is so refreshing to see one that is supposedly only half that age. Granted, I have an affinity for toys from my youth, but beyond that I like the notion here that something needn't be old for it to be haunted.
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
Intrepid
View Profile
Special user
Silver Spring, MD
989 Posts

Profile of Intrepid
Quote:
On Aug 26, 2020, David Eichler wrote:
Quote:
On Aug 25, 2020, jbonilla wrote:

Hi jbonilla- it’s hard to say “most spooky” as that can often be accomplished with minimal prior. For example, a pendulum and a story and perhaps a little ash. Or an old wine goblet and some index cards. If you’re wondering what are some available effects that are sold (or were sold) to be on the lookout in the secondary market, I’d recommend any of the following:
Spirit slates or candle or spirit lamp
The Resurrection Cemetery Gate Key
The Kn0w1ng Game (T.K.G.)
Oraculum
A switching box
The Cussing Cards
Anything by Peculiar Antiques
Inferno
A set of alphabet cards (my favorites are the ABC Revelation cards that Perkins put out through Lebanon Circle, to be used with some Dopps)
One or more Dopps
An antique fountain pen
The book Dance Avec Les Morts by Voodini

I could go on.

I‘m certain others would provide a different, and equally chilling, set of options.

And, these are just those things that I have direct experience with. If you asked me as of October 1st, I’d undoubtedly say ‘R1tual’.

Others?

David, you got my curiousity with the antique fountain pen, is there a specific effect for the fountain pen?
Bob
Pasteboard Alchemist
View Profile
Elite user
488 Posts

A quick note before my reply, as a couple people have PMed me asking if I have the coupon code to save a good amount of cash on Bobby's R1tual: it's no state secret! Just email Bobby at bobby@darkartifice.com and he'll hook you up.

Reese, those cards look great/perfect for the time period. Great find!

And David, your suggestions on things to go along with R1tual are fantastic. I'm currently--along with the rest of us, I imagine--trying to source an Ouija Board game from the same period to be able to bring them out together (but only use R1tual.) I feel like having them together would further cement what the thing is and give it credibility (not that It needs any more, considering how meticulously the whole thing was made.)

Quote:
On Aug 26, 2020, Intrepid wrote:
David, you got my curiousity with the antique fountain pen, is there a specific effect for the fountain pen?

What can't David turn into an emotional, enthralling presentation? If anyone has never had the pleasure to see him in action in person... the guy is the best I've ever seen. To be frank, seeing he was getting R1tual made me mash the button even more quickly. Knowing both Bobby and David will be making and tuning effects for this? It's like having Hawking do your math homework for you. I look forward to reaping those benefits. Smile

Given that the 6 letters can be anything, I'm thinking off all kinds of heart-wrenching things/approaches I can come up with. That's one of the most appealing aspects of this, to me. It's not just "one thing." I can end it in a very positive message (still as impactful, but without any terror) or take it down a really disturbing path, if the situation calls for it. I suspect we're going to see a lot of cool 6-letter takes as these start arriving.

I also plan to make a "slightly torn off" garage sale stickers to put on the box, to subtly imply where it came from. I've done it in the past, and it works a treat. If anyone is interested, here's how I do things of that sort: instead of using a sticker, I write/print whatever I want on paper, age/color the paper to what I want, cut/punch the thing to size, then use sandpaper to rough the hell out of one portion of it, tearing some of it to shreds (do this on top of more paper or a plastic mat.) When done, I flip it over, glue stick the back (carefully, so you don't tear away all your hard work) and then adhere it to whatever I'm after. It comes out pretty respectable, and you can rough it more or less based on how much (or how little) "torn away" you want:
David Eichler
View Profile
Grammar Host
Durham, ME
1752 Posts

Profile of David Eichler
Thanks, Pasteboard Alchemist for the kind and generous compliment.

Intrepid, do you own a Dopps? If so, check out Ink Blot by Randy Scott. That will give you a flavor of how it can be used...

Enjoy,

David
Perkins
View Profile
Special user
906 Posts

Profile of Perkins
Oh my.
Merlinsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Daly City, CA
1551 Posts

Profile of Merlinsmagic
Been scrambling since I got the email my mad money together & just finally bashed that ol paypal button before these vanished !
Always drives me mad were I hide my mad money, lol.....

Absolutely amazing, now we know why his next offering was taking so long.....always been worth the wait in the past & still is !!
Daisydog
View Profile
Regular user
187 Posts

Profile of Daisydog
I'm wondering if this works a bit like the super effect Deep Astonishment 2 with a name reveal on the back of the cards. It certainly looks brilliant.
Pasteboard Alchemist
View Profile
Elite user
488 Posts

Quote:
On Aug 27, 2020, Daisydog wrote:
I'm wondering if this works a bit like the super effect Deep Astonishment 2 with a name reveal on the back of the cards. It certainly looks brilliant.

While I don't think we should be digging into trying to figure out the method here, I will say (knowing the method now that I bought it) that it's not like The Anything Deck's workings. R1tual is all self-working and there's no sleight of hand. About the only thing it shares with T.A.D. (or its evolutions like Deep Astonishment) that I can see is: there are cards with letters on them.
reese
View Profile
Inner circle
of Hell
1252 Posts

Profile of reese
This could might be enhanced with one or two authentic items but all of in itself it is absolutely complete. You need nothing beyond it to create an absolutely disturbing moment of pure magic.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » New from Dark Artifice, Bobby Hasbun: R1TUAL (107 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.24 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL