The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Visual Coin Penetration (Johnson Products) (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

karnak
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
640 Posts

Profile of karnak
For those who do (or have done) this particular effect, a question: what is the best type of glass to use?

I have had inconsistent results, depending upon the different glasses I’ve used. Sometimes the desired result occurs, but other times not (the coin fails to fall into the lower glass). Not sure what variable factors in play might affect performance — real glass vs plastic, tall vs short, thick vs thin bottom, etc.

Any insights or tips?
For a supernatural chiller mixing magic (prestidigitation, legerdemain) with Magic (occultism, mysticism), check out my novel MAGIC: AN OCCULT THRILLER at http://www.amazon.com/Magic-Occult-Thriller-Reed-Hall/dp/1453874836
Jxb1989
View Profile
New user
Manheim, PA USA
59 Posts

Profile of Jxb1989
I’ve found 2oz shot glasses seem to work perfectly
Al Desmond
View Profile
Inner circle
Secret Mountain Lair in Conifer, Co
1512 Posts

Profile of Al Desmond
I was doing this effect 40 years ago, and when I purchased it, it came with plastic tumblers with the right diameter mouth.

I got my set from Paul Diamond.

The mouth of the tumbler has to be large enough, so when the cards get "hit," they flex just enough to drop the coin.

And you have to have really thin-shim cards. If the shim is not as flexible as a normal card, then that will prevent the card from bowing a bit and release the coin.

The effect works because the cards flex a bit, it's not due to how hard you toss in the real half dollar.

(P.S. I don't own a set anymore. I know most coin workers have the necessary coins, but it's the tumbler and the flexibility of the shimmed cards that make the difference.
karnak
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
640 Posts

Profile of karnak
Thanks very much for the helpful tips. Someone over on the Genii forum also mentioned that Johnson’s shimmed cards are apparently on the rather thick side.

I have another shimmed card from another effect (Duo-Tech II). I’ll have to dig that out, compare it with the Johnson card in terms of thinness/flexibility, and see if it works any better.
For a supernatural chiller mixing magic (prestidigitation, legerdemain) with Magic (occultism, mysticism), check out my novel MAGIC: AN OCCULT THRILLER at http://www.amazon.com/Magic-Occult-Thriller-Reed-Hall/dp/1453874836
karnak
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
640 Posts

Profile of karnak
Update: I just compared the shimmed card supplied by Johnson for Visual Coin Penetration vs. the shimmed card supplied with Duo-Tech II.

The latter is WAY more flexible than the former. With it, a magnetic coin drops off from below with a mere touch from above with a feather.

With the former (Johnson), I can thump and thump with my forefinger atop the shimmed card, but the coin below just won’t drop.

Hmmmmm. Methinks Johnson should perhaps adjust how they make their card supplied with Visual Coin Penetration.

(Just for future reference purposes, I’d love to know what exact thickness of shim Johnson uses vs. that used by other shim-card makers.)

***EDIT: in the spirit of accurate documentation, I’ve just discovered that in my old Duo-Tech II set, I had long ago replaced its own original shimmed card with another (because the original was of poor makemanship — a sloppy and obvious glue job of two cards).

So that should not be the reference standard. Unfortunately I do not now know who made the vastly better shim card that I at some point replaced it with. (Possibly Martini’s?) But it is thinner than Johnson’s, and that remains the point.
Tom G
View Profile
Inner circle
2753 Posts

Profile of Tom G
I use plastic tumblers and have never had a problem with the Johnson card. I found the best height for dropping the coins and never a failure. YMMV
karnak
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
640 Posts

Profile of karnak
What did you find to be the optimum height from which to drop the coin?
Tom G
View Profile
Inner circle
2753 Posts

Profile of Tom G
Just something you'll need to play with. Depends on what you use for glasses, shimmed card, and how strong the gimmick is.
kinjite
View Profile
New user
8 Posts

Profile of kinjite
This may be the wrong thread. But is Johnson Products out of Business? Their website appears to be out of commission for a long time?
inigmntoya
View Profile
Inner circle
DC area native, now in Atlanta
2076 Posts

Profile of inigmntoya
They suspended their magic operations early in the pandemic to focus on making ventilator parts.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Visual Coin Penetration (Johnson Products) (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL