The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Hope and Hopelessness (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4911 Posts

Profile of landmark
"But the data are nonetheless stunning, in terms of both the depth of the social and mental health crises they demonstrate and the pervasiveness of them. Perhaps the most illustrative study was one released by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention earlier this month, based on an extensive mental health survey of Americans in late June.

One question posed by researchers was whether someone has “seriously considered suicide in the past 30 days”— not fleetingly considered it as a momentary fantasy nor thought about it ever in their lifetime, but seriously considered suicide at least once in the past 30 days. The results are staggering.

For Americans between 18-24 years old, 25.5 percent — just over 1 out of every 4 young Americans — said they had."

https://theintercept.com/2020/08/28/the-......velling/

If that figure is anywhere near true--and I know well that adolescent emotions can be over the top--we are in a deep decline. I wish there were comparative figures for other years, though the article seems to indicate that the numbers have risen from 2008 on.
Animated Puppets
View Profile
Loyal user
Lost on a Green Screen
260 Posts

Profile of Animated Puppets
All I can say is that I am a far far happier person after I stopped watching all news.

I have also unfollowed a lot of family/friends on FB, as they have a great tendency to regurgitate whatever rhetoric is currently being put forth.

It also appears that the younger generations are all suffering from some kind of anxiety or another. Compared to my teenage angst I feel lacking....

Perhaps giving all the kids smart phones wasn't a smart idea.

Oh... and get off my lawn.
Life's like a movie, write your own ending...
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20370 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Aug 29, 2020, Animated Puppets wrote:
All I can say is that I am a far far happier person after I stopped watching all news.

Bingo.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16029 Posts

Profile of tommy
It is very sad that people are giving up. I think if one pretends that things are good, when in reality they are bad, one might be happy for a while but eventually, I think, the truth will out and one will break down because it is fake. I think, if one has a problem, then one ought to face it and try and do something about it. Turning to drugs or whatever to try and escape reality will not solve the problem. I do not believe in all this, do not worry be happy, nothing is real, new age, nonsense. I think that is all that is propaganda, given to the people, to stop them complaining, because if nothing is real, then they have nothing to complain about; It is all in the mind you know.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Animated Puppets
View Profile
Loyal user
Lost on a Green Screen
260 Posts

Profile of Animated Puppets
I can only fight what is in front of me. I believe I am more than hopeful that there are good people everywhere who can fight those things outside of my scope.

Sadly, the news brings all the world problems to your doorstep as fear sells.

FB is full of social(media) warriors who only want to appear that they are invested. It also provides their daily moral outrage fix.
Life's like a movie, write your own ending...
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4911 Posts

Profile of landmark
People unfortunately think they have less power than they do, because they think they have to solve all their problems alone. When that misconception is overcome, a lot of hopelessness is overcome as well.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16029 Posts

Profile of tommy
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27096 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Does complicity-free indignation really help sell product?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20370 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Always has.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
scotchrocket
View Profile
New user
Canada
100 Posts

Profile of scotchrocket
Quote:
On Aug 29, 2020, landmark wrote:
If that figure is anywhere near true

I'd be more surprised if the numbers were that low in North America!

The inherited world sucks for young people today; Boomers did a poor job of preparing the planet for future generations, and the chickens are coming home to roost right now.
All about borrowed coins.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16029 Posts

Profile of tommy
90% of people who commit suicide are mentally ill and I guess most of them are on drugs of one sort or another.

Tommy
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4911 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
On Sep 2, 2020, tommy wrote:
90% of people who commit suicide are mentally ill and I guess most of them are on drugs of one sort or another.

Too many vague phrases there for me to get your idea here. "Mentally ill"--well, yes most people who attempt suicide are suffering from depression. As for "drugs of one sort or another" are we talking about drugs meant to help the depression (which may in fact have unintended consequences) or addictive drugs like heroin, etc?
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16029 Posts

Profile of tommy
It is not my idea but simply a fact of life or death as the case may be.

I will say though that I think the people, particularly in the USA, take too many drugs legal or otherwise.

I don't think they are so much depressed as off their heads on drugs.

Tommy
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27096 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
Symptoms of anxiety disorder and depressive disorder were assessed via the four-item Patient Health Questionnaire (PHQ-4). Those who scored ≥3 out of 6 on the Generalized Anxiety Disorder (GAD-2) and Patient Health Questionnaire (PHQ-2) subscales were considered symptomatic for these respective disorders. This instrument was included in the April, May, and June surveys

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/69/wr/pdfs/mm6932a1-H.pdf
https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/69/wr/m......6932a1_w

Breaking news - phrasing a question can affect otherwise factual reporting and followup responses.

Toxic/trigger warning alerts. Smile Not my humor
Backround information:
https://www.oregonpainguidance.org/app/c......HQ-4.pdf
https://www.pcpcc.org/sites/default/file......ions.pdf
...to all the coins I've dropped here
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16029 Posts

Profile of tommy
Everybody gets depressed now and again but those that are mentally ill and off their heads on drugs cannot handle the up and downs of life so well - nor cars or heavy machinery.

Tommy
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Hope and Hopelessness (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL