The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Japanese coins with shell (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Michael Rubinstein
View Profile
V.I.P.
4341 Posts

Profile of Michael Rubinstein
New from Meir Yedid: One of the things that always bothered me was the designs used for the “Chinese Coins” in magic. Very often the Chinese characters on the coins spelled silly words, many of the coins had reverse images on them, the enamel colors on them made them look like toys, and I always felt guilty calling them Chinese coins. You would often hear me call them fake Chinese coins within routines. Now there are certain times and routines where the colored coins are justified.

Even though it always bugged me I never did anything about it. But it turns out I was not the only one who felt that way. Christian Scherer felt the same way, except in the 1980s he manufactured what are Japanese Coins and matching expanded shells with full coverage.

The coins were expanded replicas of the 5 Yen coin. The real coins which are still in circulation are around the the size of a US Nickel, but he had them expanded so they are identical in size to US Half Dollars and English Pennies. As you may remember I recently purchased the rights and remaining inventory to some of his coin line which included these. I have a limited supply but am planning on making more of them in the future.

A complete set includes four coins plus one matching expanded shell. Every magician I have shown these coins to absolutely loved them and couldn’t wait to get their own set. I am sure that if you love coin magic you will love these.
In offering this set I wanted to give you something special. After all, what good is a set of coins without any routines to do with them? Coincidentally three of the best coins across routines using a shell were invented by friends of mine. I was able to get permission to those routines and include them in a 20-minute video tutorial featuring: David Roth, Derek Dingle, and Michael Gallo. More details next week…

For a limited time, every purchase of the Japanese Coins & Shell Set will get the video tutorial for FREE!

Get the set now at : https://www.mymagic.com/p/money-magic/ja......hell-set
RUBINSTEIN COIN MAGIC SPECIAL:
I HAVE A LIMITED AMOUNT OF COPIES AVAILABLE TO BE SIGNED, AND COME WITH A SPECIAL FREE GIFT! If interested, shoot me an email for ordering information at rubinsteindvm@aol.com
inigmntoya
View Profile
Inner circle
DC area native, now in Atlanta
2176 Posts

Profile of inigmntoya
Will the shell (properly) fit a normal half dollar?
Michael Rubinstein
View Profile
V.I.P.
4341 Posts

It does not. But it comes with three shell routines worth learning:
https://www.mymagic.com/l/money-magic/sh......es-video
I HAVE A LIMITED AMOUNT OF COPIES AVAILABLE TO BE SIGNED, AND COME WITH A SPECIAL FREE GIFT! If interested, shoot me an email for ordering information at rubinsteindvm@aol.com
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7104 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Thank you Dr. Mike!

I immediately put in an order. This is great! I have...ideas. Smile

Doug
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
7104 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Quote:
On Sep 2, 2020, inigmntoya wrote:
Will the shell (properly) fit a normal half dollar?

No? But will a half dollar expanded shell fit over these?

Doug
Michael Rubinstein
View Profile
V.I.P.
4341 Posts

I imagine that it would.
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
7104 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Oh MAN! This is gonna be good!

Doug
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
7104 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Hi guys!

I just got these coins today! Everything I expected! Perfect! I did a simple shell coins across for a friend of mine today.

He was totally flabbergasted! But it just proved right out of the box, how easy these coins are to manipulate!

I've been needing a set of Chinese coins, but Johnson seems to have gone belly-up. So I had about given up.

Then Doctor Mike comes along and shows us these! And guess what? Without the shell, these four coins fit perfectly in a Buddha Okito Box!

They are beautiful and I highly recommend them to coin workers!

Doug
Michael Rubinstein
View Profile
V.I.P.
4341 Posts

They are indeed beautiful coins, replicas of a real Japanese coin. Unlike the usual dealer chinese coins, they seem real, and limited edition! Congrats!
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
7104 Posts

Profile of Dougini
They are beautiful. Epoxy coated with built in patina. They do not ring like four half dollars. Click pass is useless. I do like them!

Doug
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5224 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Quote:
On Sep 8, 2020, Dougini wrote:
Johnson seems to have gone belly-up. So I had about given up.

Johnson is not having problems as far as I know. They were machined up helping with the vast PPE needs during the Covid 19 virus making Ventilators.
https://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/view......orum=202

It will probably take some time to go "back to coins" but I will buy something when they do if I need it or not (just to support them)
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
tonsofquestions
View Profile
Inner circle
1278 Posts

Profile of tonsofquestions
Quote:
On Sep 9, 2020, Dougini wrote:
They are beautiful. Epoxy coated with built in patina. They do not ring like four half dollars. Click pass is useless. I do like them!

Doug

I discovered these just now, and was reading through here to learn more. Super sad to hear that they don't even sound like normal coins. Smile
Michael Rubinstein
View Profile
V.I.P.
4341 Posts

Since those coins were made yrs ago and there were only a limited amount of sets (Meir obtained all remaining stock from Christian Sherer), Meir hired a japanese artist and completely redesigned the coin to make beautiful authentic looking half dollar sized brass sets with matching shell. You can read about the design and period of the coins on his site (see below). They offer a nice alternative to the fake chinese coins that so many use. You can read about them here:
https://www.mymagic.com/p/mymagic/japanese-coins-shell-set

FYI Oliver Magic tried to duplicate Meir's work, unethically obtaining and using the dyes owned by Meir to make a cheap knockoff set that they have put up for sale.
DO NOT BUY THESE AS THEY ARE UNAUTHORIZED KNOCKOFFS. Only Meir sells the real sets that he designed!!!!
tonsofquestions
View Profile
Inner circle
1278 Posts

Quote:
On Jan 25, 2022, Michael Rubinstein wrote:
Since those coins were made yrs ago and there were only a limited amount of sets (Meir obtained all remaining stock from Christian Sherer), Meir hired a japanese artist and completely redesigned the coin to make beautiful authentic looking half dollar sized brass sets with matching shell. You can read about the design and period of the coins on his site (see below). They offer a nice alternative to the fake chinese coins that so many use. You can read about them here:
https://www.mymagic.com/p/mymagic/japanese-coins-shell-set

Wait, I'm confused. That link and the one in the first post are the same. Are you saying that either the images/description are not what is being sold, or that the coins (style, quality, etc) talked abut in the first posts are not the same as what's available now? Does that mean the new ones sound properly now, or are they still coated?

I had also noticed the knock-offs after making my post, and was conflicted about bringing them up - it draws extra attention to potential buyers, and the 70% "discount" is very high when the initial ones are $15/coin. But I agree folks should purchase from the original creator.
Michael Rubinstein
View Profile
V.I.P.
4341 Posts

The initial coins that were sold by Meir were the sets purchased from Christian Sherer. Those are no longer available as quantity was limited. Meir then redesigned the coins and had them custom produced. The designs of the older and the new coins are different, and as I have both I can tell you that the newer ones are a tich darker, and have a good feel and ring true. I liked the older ones as well, and not sure what the coating is that you are talking about. I don't see a coating on either one. The newer ones have a more intricate design. The original link goes to the new coins as well, as the old coins are no longer available.
tonsofquestions
View Profile
Inner circle
1278 Posts

The comment about the coating is a few posts up (I quoted it initially, but here it is again):
Quote:
On Sep 9, 2020, Dougini wrote:

and likewise says they don't ring properly, so it's great to hear the new ones do.

If they were redesigned, then I'm curious what the old ones looked like, if you have a set and feel like posting for posterity. Smile

Thanks for all the extra context!
Michael Rubinstein
View Profile
V.I.P.
4341 Posts

You can see the old photos if you go on Meir's site and search for coin copier. It was a trick by Christian Scherer that used those coins (no longer made), and there is a photo.
tonsofquestions
View Profile
Inner circle
1278 Posts

Ah, neat, thanks. I can see how the new ones were inspired by them.

I had't seen that coin copier routine before, either. Fantastically done. Even with a good familiarity with coin work and most coin boxes I have only the barest of guesses as to how he got them to transform. It's a pity it's out of stock, though $250 is a lot for the set, even though I'm sure it could be used for other routines as well.
Michael Rubinstein
View Profile
V.I.P.
4341 Posts

Meir let me know that the company that specifically stole his coins was Lion Miracle (although I see that Oliver Magic is selling it on chinese sites).
tonsofquestions
View Profile
Inner circle
1278 Posts

Yes, I believe it's the same company, just using different branding in different places. Or perhaps it's recently changed names, and all the old photos still say Oliver.
Still very sad to hear how prevalent the straight copying is. Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Japanese coins with shell (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL