The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » A magician fooler?! Does it really matter? (16 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Moderncelt
View Profile
Veteran user
Twin Cities MN
343 Posts

Profile of Moderncelt
Here's something I've funny I've found watching multiple lectures regarding things like prop magic. They guys who have been doing this pro for a long time (e.g. TC Tahoe, Harry Anderson, Pop Haydn etc) will have prop decks and such so they can perform their effect perfectly each time without the risk of some knucklebusting move going wrong. Plus they say they have the deck labeled huge so they know which one they're grabbing. It reminds me of hearing that Keith Richards has multiple guitars strung up chorded different ways so for different songs he has to do the least amount of fingering. "We're doing Satisfaction? Hand me Elizabeth."

CAN these guys do amazing master work slights? Probably. But for their bread and butter stuff they use the reliable and focus on the performance.

That and 5 bucks will get you a cup of coffee
Ray Pierce
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2604 Posts

Profile of Ray Pierce
"If you do magic for a hobby, learn the difficult moves. If you do it for a living, do it the easiest way." - Cardini to Martin Nash
Ray Pierce
johnhsawyer
View Profile
New user
Florida
52 Posts

Profile of johnhsawyer
Quote:
On Sep 7, 2020, Moderncelt wrote:
Here's something I've funny I've found watching multiple lectures regarding things like prop magic. They guys who have been doing this pro for a long time (e.g. TC Tahoe, Harry Anderson, Pop Haydn etc) will have prop decks and such so they can perform their effect perfectly each time without the risk of some knucklebusting move going wrong. Plus they say they have the deck labeled huge so they know which one they're grabbing. It reminds me of hearing that Keith Richards has multiple guitars strung up chorded different ways so for different songs he has to do the least amount of fingering. "We're doing Satisfaction? Hand me Elizabeth."

CAN these guys do amazing master work slights? Probably. But for their bread and butter stuff they use the reliable and focus on the performance.

Thank you for sharing. I love this post. The more I've watched and studied great mentalists like Osterlind, Cassidy and Banachek, the more I've realized just how true this post is. They care about performance. Who cares if the deck is gaffed in some way or some other gimmick is in play. The purpose is to connect with the participant and deliver a convincing performance time and time again. If you have to worry about some convoluted method working, you can't focus on what really matters.

-jhs
Nikodemus
View Profile
Inner circle
1174 Posts

Profile of Nikodemus
It seems to me that this distinction between "magicians" and "laymen" is a false dichotomy.
Underlying it there is usually an assumption that laymen are pretty dumb and know absolutely zero about magic.
In real life, some people are more intelligent, observant, analytical & knowledgable than others.
Also some people will enjoy the challenge of trying to figure tricks out.

I am always amazed when I read people on the Café saying "a laymen would not notice" something. Even if it's true most of the time, it can easily lead to complacency.

A better way to think about "magician foolers" might be in terms of fooling a "more sophisticated audience". In fact, some magic ads refer to "devious methods" which is probably a better description than magician-fooler.
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12968 Posts

Profile of John C
Reminds me of a YouTube I watched with bb king and billy gibbons (ZZ Top). They were discussing strings and the size they use bb asks billy what gauge strings he uses billy says .13. Bb says, Man, why you want to work so hard? Bb used .9 So from then on billy switched to .7

Why do we want to work so hard learning all the difficult slights and adding things up in our head and such.

Isn’t it presentation we are after?
Philemon Vanderbeck
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
4698 Posts

Profile of Philemon Vanderbeck
A friend of mine wanted to perform a magic trick as part of an emcee gig he was doing, so I taught him a simple three-phase "one-ahead" routine.

In talking with random audience members afterwards, not many didn't know how it was done, but every one of them found the presentation so interesting, that they really didn't care about the methodology.

Seek to deceive, but don't let the method get in the way of delivering an entertaining presentation.
Professor Philemon Vanderbeck
That Creepy Magician
"I use my sixth sense to create the illusion of possessing the other five."
Matt Pulsar
View Profile
Inner circle
1130 Posts

Profile of Matt Pulsar
Nope...
Belief Manifests Reality.
Nebula CT: https://www.penguinmagic.com/p/8517
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3691 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
Quote:
On Sep 7, 2020, Moderncelt wrote:

I don't usually use prop decks. I have always had two trick decks that I carry and use if appropriate: The Rising Cards and Brainwave.
Other than that, I use a regular deck for everything. I do few "knuckle-busting" sleights, but I trust my sleight of hand for most of the work I do.
gossamer
View Profile
New user
21 Posts

Profile of gossamer
Quote:
On Oct 7, 2020, John C wrote:
Reminds me of a YouTube I watched with bb king and billy gibbons (ZZ Top). They were discussing strings and the size they use bb asks billy what gauge strings he uses billy says .13. Bb says, Man, why you want to work so hard? Bb used .9 So from then on billy switched to .7

Why do we want to work so hard learning all the difficult slights and adding things up in our head and such.

The King BB King! Great story and reference. I wholly agree. The simpler the better as long as the impact is just as strong.
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3691 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
Quote:
On Jan 23, 2021, gossamer wrote:
Quote:
On Oct 7, 2020, John C wrote:

The King BB King! Great story and reference. I wholly agree. The simpler the better as long as the impact is just as strong.

"as long as the impact is jsut as strong." Many "improvements" meant to make a routine easier to perform weaken the effect in important ways. I always go for the simple method when it is just as effective, but will work for years to get the "right move" down when it is superior.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » A magician fooler?! Does it really matter? (16 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL