The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Best inexpensive reel? (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
2895 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
Not sure where to post this, but I'm looking for a really good inexpensive reel, as in $20 - $30. I'm going to need a quantity of them.

Any thoughts?
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Latest column: "Sorry about the photos in my posts here"
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
1836 Posts

Profile of David Todd
Hi, George -

I've been looking for an inexpensive reel , too. (to use for the silk through mic stand/cane/etc.) I have ordered the one from PropDog in the U.K. I should have it by tomorrow or early next week. (after the Labor Day holiday on Monday). I'll let you know what I think. It has good reviews.

See:

https://www.propdog.co.uk/Reel-Revolution-Propdog

Note the price is $38.56 for non-EU customers. So that means for ordering it from U.S.A. it is $38.56 , plus shipping (which in my case was $3.07 from the U.K. to east coast of U.S.A. for basic airmail shipping 5 - 9 business days. If you ask for expedited shipping it will be more.)

Notice PropDog's guarantee: "If for any reason you decide that you are not happy with this reel, simply send it back and we'll give you a full refund!"
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22736 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Daytona Magic has finger reels for $15.

Locking Reels I have, were never cheap.

Without knowing the use, it is impossible to give you assistance.

I have a powerful finger ring locking reel, but it would be very expensive, and it large 2.5 inches in diameter, and weighs about 2 pounds.

I also have some P&L silk reels that I am attempting to repair with new lines.
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5352 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
George, check out Staples for name badge reels. They are not super quiet but will work for Serpentine Silk, Silk through mike stand, and the like. Michael Ammar uses (and sells) them in his lectures.

https://www.staples.com/Staples-41792-CC......t_938350

IDwholesaler has versions too. They are sold in bulk.

https://www.idwholesaler.com/505-HD-CRM-......%20Reels

A stronger reel would be the old Key holder reel:
https://www.amazon.com/Retractable-Water......=mh0b-20

Good luck!
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
2895 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
Thank you all. Good suggestions there.
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Latest column: "Sorry about the photos in my posts here"
Magic Mark
View Profile
Special user
615 Posts

Profile of Magic Mark
I ordered a PropDog Reel Revolution, it arrived yesterday. After opening the package I tested the reel by pulling out about 6” of line and gently let it pull back in. Then I pulled out about 12-15” of line and to my surprise, it wouldn’t retract. Jiggling the line did nothing, it wouldn’t retract. I disassembled the two halves of the case, could not see anything that was obviously broken, and simply assumed it was possibly wound on the wheel incorrectly from the factory. I wound the line back around the wheel, added another turn to give it some tension, and reassembled the case. When I tried pulling out 15” or so of line the same thing happened, it would not retract.

I emailed PropDog yesterday but I guess they must have taken Christmas Eve off (which is completely understandable), they did not reply today. I am confident that they’ll make it right, but disappointed that I waited 2 weeks only to receive a defective reel and that, with the revised lockdowns, I may have to wait even longer for a replacement.

It seems there is a market for a really high quality reel that is quiet and built with supreme reliability. I miss the days when you could get a brand new Paul Diamond reel.

Mark
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22736 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Magic Mark, did the reel come with instruction? Did you read or view them before doing what your described?

The number one rule with any reels is that you never let the line fly back on it own without something attached to the line.

Even if you were holding the line, it could have caused damage, the line getting caught or not setting correctly.

You should not have opened the reel, that could have caused problems a well, and therefore, any warranty void.
Magic Mark
View Profile
Special user
615 Posts

Profile of Magic Mark
I did not let the line snap back on its own. I described what I did in an accurate fashion because I suspected someone would assume I did something careless. I did not.

As for taking the reel apart, I did nothing more than what is shown in this video, which I watched (again) before disassembling the top half of the reel. That was all I disassembled, I removed the top half and wound the loose line back around the wheel and put the top back on and secured it with the screw.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OAURenR4Lb8

Mark
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22736 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Here is the cheapest reel available. It is called the Bill Snatcher, a gag item novelty. $3.99

If you think the line is to thick, then you have to replace the one in the reel. It is a little difficult to get it apart, but possible with your fingernails.

https://www.ebay.com/c/1400097046
Magic Mark
View Profile
Special user
615 Posts

Profile of Magic Mark
PropDog employees were on Holiday through Monday. They responded today and are sending a replacement reel. They are not requiring me to return the broken reel. Excellent customer service.

Mark
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Best inexpensive reel? (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL