The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Yellow Page Ad (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Scott O.
View Profile
Inner circle
Midwest
1141 Posts

Profile of Scott O.
Yellow page ads -- What have you found to be the best way to use this form of advetising? Display vs In-column ads. Color vs Black. Bold.

What wording do you use?
How effective have you found this to be?

Take your pick of these questions. Just looking to get some different perspectives.

Scott Smile.
Do not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time you will reap a harvest, if you do not give up. Galatians 6:9
Hill
View Profile
Inner circle
1165 Posts

Profile of Hill
I have learned that yellow pages ads are a necessity. in my area I consistently see entetainers with colorful, glitzy ads receiving more business regardless of the quality of their work.

food for thought - interesting to see what everyone thinks and what techniques work for others.
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7384 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
More important that the ad or content, is what book.

There are various "yellow pages" around (at least in my area). Most claim they are the best, and pull the most results. However, in my area, there is one that clearly is used 10x more than the leading competitor. Some people are not aware of this, and waste their advertising dollars in the wrong book.

I highly recommend that you do your research first.

- Donald.

P.S. I'll bet they move this thread to the Tricky Business section.
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
Hill
View Profile
Inner circle
1165 Posts

Profile of Hill
As always donald has a good point - the differing books will all blind you with their marketing blurb. just have a think about which book you and your friends/family use, that's probably one of the best - albeit primative - rsearch methods.
Rupert Bair
View Profile
Inner circle
?
2107 Posts

Profile of Rupert Bair
How much is it to place an ad?
Hill
View Profile
Inner circle
1165 Posts

Profile of Hill
Interestingly - the yellow pages here I not ofering full color ads in the middle of yellow pages - providing huge opportunity to create eye catching displays. very effective but also very expenseve.

not sure the exact cost magic matt, but http://www.yell.co.uk is a great resource for these prices
Rupert Bair
View Profile
Inner circle
?
2107 Posts

Profile of Rupert Bair
I cant find a price
Bill Scarlett
View Profile
Veteran user
Vermont
365 Posts

Profile of Bill Scarlett
Matt,

Pricing really varies by how populated your area is; the more people the book serves, the higher the price. Best bet is to call ad sales in your local phone book and they'll give you what it would cost in your area.

Donald has an excellent point about which book to go with. I have three in my area but only one that I consider worth the money. Look at which book has the most businesses listed and this will give you a clue as to if it is worthwhile.

I do a simple in-column ad that has four lines plus the phone number. In order to have a yellow pages ad, you usually have to have a business phone, separate from your home line. It can get expensive quickly. I recommend starting out slow or you can go broke paying for yellow page ads.
Rob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Utah
2060 Posts

Profile of Rob Johnston
People tend to stick with the fancier ad (sad but true). If someone sees an ad with just a name and phone number, and an ad with a picture and great fonts....then who do you think they will call?
"Genius is another word for magic, and the whole point of magic is that it is inexplicable." - Margot Fonteyn
Bill Scarlett
View Profile
Veteran user
Vermont
365 Posts

Profile of Bill Scarlett
I live in a very rural area and sometimes I'm the only magician in the book, so thankfully, I don't have to compete with a bunch of other ads. Ads with color and pictures can get really expensive.
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3369 Posts

Profile of Julie
I've read somewhere that offering a "satisfaction guaranteed or your money back" kind of wording (for a children's entertainer) in a relatively inexpensive ad gets great results.
I believe the writer said he'd NEVER had to a request to return his fee...
Rupert Bair
View Profile
Inner circle
?
2107 Posts

Profile of Rupert Bair
In my area their must be 30-40 in the book! also satisfaction guaranteed or your money back, imagine if you travel quite far and you get their and its a really bad area and the kids are behaving really bad and you don't don't a show as good as normal they are going to want their money back, you cant always have a succesful show some factors make it not a good show.
So you have to be careful.
Matt
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7384 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
By the way, things like guarantees and also yellow page ads have been discussed in length on other forums (The Dean's List, etc).

If this is of genuine interest to you, and would like some links, just PM me, and I'll help you out.

- Donald. Smile
magiker
View Profile
Loyal user
Sweden
283 Posts

Profile of magiker
I had an Ad in the yellow pages for the last 4 years. In that time I have had 3 calls and booked 1.
I find that the clients that don't know me find me thru the net. It seems that people prefer to use search engines than let their fingers do the walking.
That's my experience over here.
Magiker

Believe in the possibility of the impossible
Emazdad
View Profile
Inner circle
Plymouth UK
1954 Posts

Profile of Emazdad
I have a full colour advert in my local Yellow pages. The advert is about 3 1/2"x4" and costs about £1300 a year. I could quite easily reduce it in size as I'm well established but as I don't waste money on lots of different advertising so I can afford to splash out a bit on the yellow pages advert.

All it has on it is:
my photo,
my name,
The words BEST IN MAGICAL CHILDREN'S ENTERTAINMENT across the top,
What I offer MAGIC SHOWS, BALLOON MODELLING, GAMES AND PRIZES,
A list of events I'm suitable for, PARTIES, SCHOOLS, PLAYGOUPS, FETES, OPEN DAYS, HOTELS, BUSINESS LAUNCHES CORPORATE EVENTS, ANYWHERE!!
my phone number and website address.

That's it, I don't believe in having too much text as it will look cluttered and they wont read it. I don't believe in putting Guarantees on paper as Matt said some fool will only try and rip you off.

It's one of the bigger adverts in the entertainers section, (We don't have a magicians section over here)and it's one of the few full colour ads, so it stands out nicely from the rest.
Yours Funfully
Clive "Emazdad" Hemsley
www.emazdad.com

"Magic is a secret, without the secret there is no magic"

Remember there are only 3 types of people in the world, those that can count and those that can't.
Scott O.
View Profile
Inner circle
Midwest
1141 Posts

Profile of Scott O.
Thanks for the response.

I've never done Yellow page advertising, but did have a display ad in the area Christian Business Directory. Thus, now the YP guys are all a'callin'.

I can get a good intro price in one of the alternative books. It is one that I use. However, I have used my personal line for business (as I am not a full-time pro). If I adverise in the YP, is there a problem using a residential line?
Do not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time you will reap a harvest, if you do not give up. Galatians 6:9
Danny Diamond
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1400 Posts

Profile of Danny Diamond
I was considering aYellow Pages ad recently. I asked for the advice of a more experienced magician than I, a guy who had aquite a large number of shows under his belt. He felt strongly that the Yellow Pages were NOT the best way of advertising. He said getting a restaurant gig was the best way to advertise his kid's show. He had a steady restaurant gig, where he performed for new people every week, and lots of them. He said he got more business than that than any advertising. Of course, if you don't have a restaurant gig, then his advice is pretty meaningless, huh?

I am sure it can't hurt, but as a part-time performer, I have been getting steady bookings based solely on referrals and my own marketing, such as free library shows to hand out flyers, and balloon twisting gigs in town to distribute flyers and cards.

If I were full-time, I believe I would certainly need a Yellow Pages ad, as well as others.
You don't drown by falling in the water;

you drown by staying there.

- Edwin Louis Cole
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7384 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
A lot of the time, it depends what type of shows you want, whether you should have yellow page ads or not.

I've found that I mostly get inquiries for children's birthday party shows (about 75% of all inquiries). This is great if you do children's birthdays (this thread started off in the little darlings forum), but isn't so great if you are hoping to get corporate shows.

Again, it's a research thing. Figure out what will be the best method, and one that you are comfortable with, to reach the customers you want. Then use that most appropriate method.

- Donald.
Steven Steele
View Profile
Chief of Staff
Hesperia, California USA
1904 Posts

Profile of Steven Steele
Donald is correct. Determine what your market is before you determine how to attack it. I have a Yellow Pages ad for no other reason than it is free with my business line. There are no other magicians listed in the book and the only calls I get (about 5 per month) are for birthday parties. I actually got more bookings from our local newspaper, when I was doing children's shows.

You need to see what avenues you have for marketing and test different approaches. One thing may work in one area and not even be available in another (for example, we have no monthly parenting magazines in our area).
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6439 Posts

Profile of NJJ
Our dodgy Yellow Pages recently created Children's Parties as a new section as well as Entertainer's meaning we all have to spend double!!!!

GRRRR!!

Yellow Page is passive advertising. However, half the people who use it are LOOKING for a particular performer. Imagine all the fans of yours who looked in the book and couldn't find you so booked someone else.

Also, most users of the book are private citizens. That makes it great for kid's parties but less useful for festivals, corperate etc....
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Yellow Page Ad (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL