The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Covidiocy » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (72 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5..9~10~11 [Next]
Ken Northridge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlantic City, NJ
2293 Posts

Profile of Ken Northridge
Quote:
On Sep 26, 2020, magicalaurie wrote:
It is meaningful, Danny.

I don't expect you to acknowledge it though, because, although you claim not to know everything, you seem to have a need to invalidate pretty well anything I have to say and exclude me and others you seem to hold contempt for from the big picture. Destructive and gaslighting.

If anyone still wonders why so few women frequent this place, perhaps consider the exclusive nature and lack of empathy illustrated by so many.

Calling someone naive is nothing more than a predictable manipulative tactic to ostracize. It's an easy, lazy way to play magician's choice, and you're an absolute master, Danny. Congratulations. Smile


With respect, I don't understand what being a women has do with it. Danny is an equal opportunity lack of empathizer and ostracizer. LOL
"Love is the real magic." -Doug Henning
www.KenNorthridge.com
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20553 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Sep 26, 2020, Dannydoyle wrote:
Quote:
On Sep 26, 2020, magicalaurie wrote:
It is meaningful, Danny.

I don't expect you to acknowledge it though, because, although you claim not to know everything, you seem to have a need to invalidate pretty well anything I have to say and exclude me and others you seem to hold contempt for from the big picture. Destructive and gaslighting.

If anyone still wonders why so few women frequent this place, perhaps consider the exclusive nature and lack of empathy illustrated by so many.

Calling someone naive is nothing more than a predictable manipulative tactic to ostracize. It's an easy, lazy way to play magician's choice, and you're an absolute master, Danny. Congratulations. Smile


Sorry but hogwash.

Frame it however you want personally but the absolute fact that we must live with each and every day is that there is why more than one side to this and every debate.

So you tell me what the benefit is in trying to pretend somehow that it is not true?

Frame it as if I'm such a meanie go ahead. That it is a slight against women, very which it is not. It is a simple acknowledgement of the reality of the world. By definition to try to deny it is quite naive.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20553 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Sep 27, 2020, Ken Northridge wrote:
Quote:
On Sep 26, 2020, magicalaurie wrote:
It is meaningful, Danny.

I don't expect you to acknowledge it though, because, although you claim not to know everything, you seem to have a need to invalidate pretty well anything I have to say and exclude me and others you seem to hold contempt for from the big picture. Destructive and gaslighting.

If anyone still wonders why so few women frequent this place, perhaps consider the exclusive nature and lack of empathy illustrated by so many.

Calling someone naive is nothing more than a predictable manipulative tactic to ostracize. It's an easy, lazy way to play magician's choice, and you're an absolute master, Danny. Congratulations. Smile


With respect, I don't understand what being a women has do with it. Danny is an equal opportunity lack of empathizer and ostracizer. LOL


Oh no Ken. It is 2020 so to stiffle debate you use this tactic. Make absurdly false accusations in the hope others will be afraid and stop. Crying victim and hoping others run to your defense (Which we saw happen here.) is now how it works.

Merit based discussion is not allowed. Using facts and proof means nothing. It is all about how you feel. Try to keep up
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2914 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Quote:
On Sep 27, 2020, Ken Northridge wrote:
" magicalaurie wrote:
It is meaningful, Danny.

I don't expect you to acknowledge it though, because, although you claim not to know everything, you seem to have a need to invalidate pretty well anything I have to say and exclude me and others you seem to hold contempt for from the big picture. "

With respect, I don't understand what being a women has do with it. Danny is an equal opportunity lack of empathizer and ostracizer. LOL


I acknowledged that Danny does this to others in the quoted comment. What you don't understand is the effects it has on women, Ken. There's a lot of information about this around, if you're interested.

Here's an article, just as an example:

https://ideas.ted.com/one-invisible-barr......ty-bind/
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20553 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
And what you don't realize is the affect it has on people who are constantly and demonstrably falsely accused of such things. The affect it has on society in general when merit based discussion is replaced with how it makes you feel instead.

I thought it was all about equality wasn't it? Why would one thing affect women differently than it would men? Equality is equality isn't it? Pick a horse and ride it please.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Michael L
View Profile
New user
45 Posts

Profile of Michael L
Quote:
On Sep 25, 2020, David Thiel wrote:
Compare the death statistics from Covid (and I DO mean COVID -- not people who died while they had Covid...or people who died within a six block radius of someone who HAD Covid) to heart disease fatalities...how about cancer? And the whole world is shutting down because of THIS? REALLY???


Yes.
Heart Disease isn't contagious. Cancer isn't contagious. Both of those are extremely serious, but their burden on society and on the healthcare system is more or less predictable.
The problem with COVID isn't just deaths from COVID. It's what happens if the disease runs completely unchecked, because then it places a burden on the healthcare system which it cannot bear. So the death total becomes worse than the death total from COVID. It becomes the deaths from people having heart attacks who could have survived but they were unable to get the medical care they needed. Same for people who suddenly discover they are diabetic, or people in car accidents, or people with appendicitis. If the healthcare system is completely saturated, then people start dying from otherwise survivable issues. It's a snowball effect, and that only takes into consideration death as a consequence rather than the multitude of long-term effects we are seeing in survivors.

It doesn't have to be a complete lockdown. Masks, social distancing, people acting intelligently - all these things can help contain the spread of the disease and allow society to function. It will absolutely hurt society, and the economy, but there's a middle ground between a year-long lockdown and refusing any and all measures.
I definitely sympathize with performers who are struggling, especially as you said with the stress of being shut in (loneliness, alcoholism, etc.). I'm new here and I don't know anybody personally, but please feel free to reach out if you need someone to listen.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20553 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Tuberculosis seems pretty contagious and deadly and do we hide from it?

Again only asking.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Michael L
View Profile
New user
45 Posts

Profile of Michael L
Quote:
On Oct 1, 2020, Dannydoyle wrote:
Tuberculosis seems pretty contagious and deadly and do we hide from it?

Again only asking.


Yes?
Unlike COVID, you can't catch TB from someone who is infected but isn't presenting symptoms. I personally would not hang out with someone who was coughing up blood with active TB, but you do you.
If you're in the States you almost certainly know someone who is infected with TB, but they don't know it because they're one of the 90-95% of infections which never become active. Even if you know 100 people with inactive TB your odds of catching it are effectively 0%.

Not to mention TB can be treated, and we have a vaccine which reduces the risk of infection and greatly reduces the chance of an infection becoming an active case. We're hiding from it, but we've been working at it for decades.
TB is projected to infect roughly 1% of the world population annually, COVID has already infected more than 2% of the US population in 6 months, and that's with some preventive measures in place. 90-95% of TB cases never become active, 20% of COVID cases require hospitalization.
TB is scary, as far as diseases go, but it's got nothing on COVID.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20553 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
So people without symptoms spread covid and 20% have symptoms?

How serious are those symptoms exactly?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Michael L
View Profile
New user
45 Posts

Profile of Michael L
Yes, COVID seems to be able to be spread by people who have been infected but not yet developed symptoms.

I didn't say 20% have symptoms, though. 20% of COVID infections require hospitalization. I don't know exactly what symptoms and treatments that represents, but I assume it's anywhere from fever medication and an IV drip to control dehydration, up to induced coma and a ventilator.
And just to correct that number now, it should be that "up to 20%" require hospitalization. It varies by age group, with older people hospitalized at a much higher rate than the young, but your overall average as per the CDC reports is about 8-9% across all age groups. The other 90ish% include people who have contracted the virus and developed no symptoms at all, or developed symptoms mild enough to not require medical intervention beyond what they can manage at home with over-the-counter medication and rest.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20553 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
How do you account for those who have the virus with no symptoms and are not tested?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Michael L
View Profile
New user
45 Posts

Profile of Michael L
Quote:
On Oct 2, 2020, Dannydoyle wrote:
How do you account for those who have the virus with no symptoms and are not tested?


You can account for that in projections, but aside from that all we have to go with are the numbers we know.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20553 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
So this can be woefully uninformed or incredibly accurate and anything in between?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Michael L
View Profile
New user
45 Posts

Profile of Michael L
The only real facts I had to provide were the data from the CDC with regards to infections and hospitalizations, so that's what I stuck with.
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17654 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Quote:
On Sep 26, 2020, imgic wrote:
Slim King must be happy. Florida is opening up completely. Will be interesting to see how that plays out.

Florida is Kicking @ss!!!!The night clubs are opening up and Thousands of musicians are making money again and paying their bills!!! The Theme Parks won't be doing so well since other places are still closed and tourism is directly in the sights of the economy destroyers. Thousands of new tests are being done revealing thousands who didn't even know they had the virus. The death rate is rock bottom compared to the main attack. The majority of deaths in Florida had about 3 Pre-existing conditions. Less than 6% of the fatalities were by Covid alone. The schools are still messed up. Brothers and sisters who LIVE TOGETHER can't even sit in the same bus seat or eat at the same lunch table. The kids themselves see the lack of logic expressed by their own education system. My 11 year old son got a respiratory infection from wearing the mask and had to be taken to Emergency care. I say INNOCENT UNTIL PROVEN GUILTY just like the Constitution teaches!!! HCQ and Zinc!!!! Florida is leading the way just like Sweden!!! Just a little late... Smile Smile Smile
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20553 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Here is the part that makes me nervous. I say this with no side in mind.

IF it turns out we live in a world where the "experts" just got it WILDLY wrong, not intentionally but just crazy wrong, then what? Does ANYONE on ANY side of this argument REALLY believe they are going to come out and say "hey man we BLEW it sorry"? I mean what we know NOW about this is so vastly different from what they THOUGHT THEY KNEW THEN it is incredible. So many here in the Café' believe things from the first weeks of this nightmare and parrot them as gospel.

What do we do as a people, as a country, or as a WORLD for that matter if this turns out to be the case on ANY level? Then if you like add in your own fears about the other side and agendas and it really is unsettling.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
thomasR
View Profile
Inner circle
1158 Posts

Profile of thomasR
Broadway just announced it is closed until May of 2021. That’s 41 broadway theaters.
The podcasts and interviews I’ve heard from Vegas performers sound like they keep hearing back and forth everyday.
Penn said that they are looking at Caesar’s forum and other large venues.

Disneyland is still closed, and Disney parks and resorts as a whole just laid off 28,000 in the USA including hundreds of imagineers.

But then towns like Branson, Pigeon Forge, and the state of Florida are opening up as if there is nothing to worry about. I saw the Dutton theatre in Branson closed because a performer tested positive.

I certainly don’t know what the right answer is, it seems like it’s a 50 state free for all with everyone deciding for themeselves what is safe and what’s not.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20553 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Which is how the Constitution is designed. Imagine that.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
thomasR
View Profile
Inner circle
1158 Posts

Profile of thomasR
True. And I give you lots of credit danny... you didn’t stay in New Jersey.

It amazes me how some people would rather stay where they are and complain about their current situation, rather than looking at a map (literally or figuratively) and moving.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20553 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
To be fair I moved back to where I had a house and by coincidence it was where they have figured out how to do entertainment safe. Not so much a plan, but happy to be part of it.

But yes staying wasn't an option.

The issue as I see it is largely political. Yes this is dangerous. How much so is debatable. But hard to ignore the deaths!

Has mitigation helped? Tough to say because you have to weigh economic impact against human life and how can that even work? What a horrible equation that would be.

Is heard immunity the only way through? Nobody knows and nobody wants to try. Can't say I blame them.

There is political power grabbing going on. Nuff said.

I'll say that states that have little impact by this don't necessarily live under that same fear as the huge hot spots do. No joke there are places that just can't imagine what the fuss is all about. So moving forward is not a clear path.

This is what can cause a HUGE amount of the problems! Individual perception is just skewed. There is no one answer to the problem. Each local municipality knows what they need better than a federal leviathan.

Notice how I never denied this is a real problem or said anything about not being safe? So please no nasty comments about being a denier or what not.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Covidiocy » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (72 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5..9~10~11 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL