The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Whining a little (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2732 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
I'm approaching the Walmart I've worked at for 16 years now, and once again the opening lyrics to a song from "Les Miserables" runs through my mind;

"One more day. Another day, another destiny. This never ending road to Calvary."

Oh well, at least I'm not the guy at the street ligh, with a paper cup, begging for cash.
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
Tim Snyder
View Profile
New user
Chicago, IL
88 Posts

Profile of Tim Snyder
Instead how about singing--

There are people in this country who work hard every day
Not for fame or fortune do they strive
But the fruits of their labor are worth more than their pay
And it's time a few of them were recognized

-- Alabama "Forty Hour Week for a'livn

I feel for you. Don't give up. You can still find a job that you don't hate. Saying that, I understand how hard that can be when you are supporting a family and with change always comes risk. But...life is short....put in the effort and find a new job. However, don't regret your Walmart days... as the song says, "the fruits of your labor were worth more than your pay."
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4911 Posts

Profile of landmark
Or you could sing any of these songs:

https://www.musicanet.org/robokopp/iww.html
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2732 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On Sep 14, 2020, Tim Snyder wrote:
Instead how about singing--

There are people in this country who work hard every day
Not for fame or fortune do they strive
But the fruits of their labor are worth more than their pay
And it's time a few of them were recognized

-- Alabama "Forty Hour Week for a'livn

I feel for you. Don't give up. You can still find a job that you don't hate. Saying that, I understand how hard that can be when you are supporting a family and with change always comes risk. But...life is short....put in the effort and find a new job. However, don't regret your Walmart days... as the song says, "the fruits of your labor were worth more than your pay."


Thanks for the boost, but... 65 years old, dude! Tend to doubt there's anything but Walmart in my future.
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2732 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On Sep 14, 2020, landmark wrote:
Or you could sing any of these songs:

https://www.musicanet.org/robokopp/iww.html


Nah, that's not me. More "Weird Al" Yankovich.



My kid saw this and said; "Fine, YOU be unemployed (he's on SSI) I'LL take the dream job! (And it would be for him, too!)
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
Theodore Lawton
View Profile
Inner circle
1685 Posts

Profile of Theodore Lawton
It's easy to say, sometimes it's hard to do: count our blessings.
The monotonous grind of a job we hate is overwhelming sometimes, but you're healthy enough to work and have a job and friends and family that love you.
Food on the table. Clothing. A place to sleep and shower.
Being thankful helps me get through another day and changes my negative mindset to a positive one.
Just my 2 cents. Hope today goes well for you!
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved to Seattle to see
1161 Posts

Profile of imgic
Ed:

Iv enjoyed reading your posts on the Café. You are stronger, more resilient, and have more to offer than you realize. You busk! Do you realize how few people do that? How much talent and guts that alone takes? Even if you're not making Gazzo money, you've shown you can do something 99.99% of the population could not do.

Even at 65, there's a lot of life ahead of you, and you have a lot to offer. Move into management at Walmart. See about other similar opportunities with other companies (I've friends at Home Depot and Costco that both rave about quality of work there). Keep working at Walmart but create your own opportunities. If I remember correctly you've mentioned being a typesetter. I've seen shops in Nashville, Knoxville, and Seattle that sell type set pieces. The shop in Nashville reproduced old concert posters and playbills. The shops in Knoxville and Seattle do original posters, cards, postcards and art. Find an press for sale and start making your own. It can fit your schedule and you can sell on Etsy or even Amazon.

You've got a foundation on which to build. You may have to take it one day at a time for now, but the future is yours.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2732 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On Sep 15, 2020, Theodore Lawton wrote:
It's easy to say, sometimes it's hard to do: count our blessings.
The monotonous grind of a job we hate is overwhelming sometimes, but you're healthy enough to work and have a job and friends and family that love you.
Food on the table. Clothing. A place to sleep and shower.
Being thankful helps me get through another day and changes my negative mindset to a positive one.
Just my 2 cents. Hope today goes well for you!


Your "2 cents" are worth a quarter my friend.

I know that, technically, I have it pretty good, and there are a lot of people who have it far worse off than I do. But when I'm approaching that big, blue, "Walmart" sign, it's hard to think of them.
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2732 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On Sep 17, 2020, imgic wrote:
Ed:

Iv enjoyed reading your posts on the Café. You are stronger, more resilient, and have more to offer than you realize. You busk! Do you realize how few people do that? How much talent and guts that alone takes? Even if you're not making Gazzo money, you've shown you can do something 99.99% of the population could not do.

Even at 65, there's a lot of life ahead of you, and you have a lot to offer. Move into management at Walmart. See about other similar opportunities with other companies (I've friends at Home Depot and Costco that both rave about quality of work there). Keep working at Walmart but create your own opportunities. If I remember correctly you've mentioned being a typesetter. I've seen shops in Nashville, Knoxville, and Seattle that sell type set pieces. The shop in Nashville reproduced old concert posters and playbills. The shops in Knoxville and Seattle do original posters, cards, postcards and art. Find an press for sale and start making your own. It can fit your schedule and you can sell on Etsy or even Amazon.

You've got a foundation on which to build. You may have to take it one day at a time for now, but the future is yours.


I tried to get into management. I failed the written exam! Further, it turns out that "management" has it worse than the plebes! They have to be available to be scheduled between 7:00 AM and 11:30 PM/12:00 AM depending on how busy it is. Not only that, but they have to deal directly with the evil that is the Corporate Office! I actually feel sorry for most of the managers!

Thanks for the boost. The PLAN is to develop my children's show and perform parties and stuff. Unfortunately, the past couple of weeks have seen a lethargy, the likes of which I've seen all to often before.

I'll get out of it. We'll get there.

Thanks again.
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16029 Posts

Profile of tommy
Walmart are moving into the entertainment business; they have their own radio show. https://one.walmart.com/content/usone/en......id=1wmco
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2732 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On Sep 18, 2020, tommy wrote:
Walmart are moving into the entertainment business; they have their own radio show. https://one.walmart.com/content/usone/en......id=1wmco


Yeah, I have to listen to it all day long! Repeaters, since I believe it's only four hours long.
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16029 Posts

Profile of tommy
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2732 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Whining a little (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL