The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » LESS IS MORE by Joe Deng!!! Back in stock!!!! (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
harris1850
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of harris1850
A very nice psychological/physics trick. But $100? For the magician who has everything...
Brad Jeffers
View Profile
Veteran user
361 Posts

Profile of Brad Jeffers
If you find $100 too steep, then maybe you would be willing to pay $40 for THIS VERSION which uses playing card boxes.

Or if you're really frugal, you might want to MAKE YOUR OWN using three matchboxes.

I think I will make myself a set using Irish Spring soap boxes.
CartoucheNL
View Profile
New user
Eindhoven, The Netherlands
35 Posts

Profile of CartoucheNL
We have all heard of optical illusions and most probably we have all seen a few. For example the rabbit/duck illusion. If you want to get more scientifically: The Muller Lyer illusion is a really nice one that I and most other Psychology students had to examine.
This however is a, how shall we say it, a tactile illusion. Works the same: on the brain, but is not so common as an optical illusion. On top of that it gets a little 'magic' help.
One can always argue that a 100 bucks is a bit much, but it looks really nicely made. I would like to compare it to my original Dean's Box. Would I normally pay 250 euros for a few pieces of wood and some hinges? Maybe not, but I did pay that (actually it was a gift from my wife...) because it was beautifully finished and came with a solid routine.

Personally I think this could very well be money well spent.
Steven Conner
View Profile
Inner circle
2658 Posts

Profile of Steven Conner
Very interesting.
"The New York Papers," Mark Twain once said,"have long known that no large question is ever really settled until I have been consulted; it is the way they feel about it, and they show it by always sending to me when they get uneasy. "
harris1850
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of harris1850
Brad thanks for tip on Heavy Handed. Fits my budget.
Seth speaks
View Profile
Inner circle
New Mexico
1254 Posts

Profile of Seth speaks
Looks really nice! Those wood blocks take it to more artistic level, IMHO. I think with two sets your options increase a lot, like handing them out for inspection afterward. Any simple deck switch would take care of it, since only one is different from the others, and they are shaped like decks. With two sets you could have them all laid out and let a spec "choose" three, or divide them up so two specs each have a set.

One approach: show the three blocks. Say, "Here are five blocks. Three are visible, and two are imaginary... but quite a bit heavier the other three." Do the effect, but when they drop the bottom one, you add one of the heavier invisible ones to the top, which makes it heavier. Then do it again, dropping the visible block, but adding another heavier imaginary one. Then do a deck switch and let them be examined.

Another approach: Instead of invisible blocks, add one penny to the top block, then have them pick up top two and feel how much heavier the penny makes the stack. Then add a feather or a small flower, and they are astonished that it gets soooo much heavier...

Again, with two sets I think it would even be possible, with a small bit of misdirection, to have them first pick up all three blocks and feel the lightness, then add a penny to stack and have them pick up all three again, feeling it significantly heavier. THEN add a flower and drop the bottom one--even heavier--and THEN add a small feather and drop another block--really heavy now!

I think there are innumerable possibilities with this little gem! Especially if you are willing to add a small bit of sleight of hand in addition to the self-working aspects. Ordered from VI!

Seth
Brad Jeffers
View Profile
Veteran user
361 Posts

Profile of Brad Jeffers
HERE is a helpful video that shows how this effect plays for real people.
Mac_Stone
View Profile
Inner circle
Miami, FL
1253 Posts

Profile of Mac_Stone
Quote:
On Nov 12, 2020, Seth speaks wrote:
Looks really nice! Those wood blocks take it to more artistic level, IMHO.

This is the point a lot of people here are missing.
Ben Harris
View Profile
V.I.P.
The Land Down Under
2121 Posts

Profile of Ben Harris
Beautifully made. A lovely illusion that can create a profound effect upon your participant. Many magicians will not appreciate its value until they have experienced it.
+Inventor of the world famous Floating Match+
+Author: Machinations (Vanishing Inc, 2020)+
EVERYTHING BEN HARRIS
elimagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1600 Posts

Profile of elimagic
Looks like this is being sold by vanishing inc now
Jack Straw
View Profile
Inner circle
Wichita
1015 Posts

Profile of Jack Straw
Always was.

Kranzo didn't have an exclusive.
Jack Straw from Wichita, cut his buddy down
And dug for him a shallow grave, and laid his body down
Half a mile from Tucson, by the morning light
One man gone and another to go, my old buddy you're moving much too slow
We can share the women, we can share the wine
elimagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1600 Posts

Profile of elimagic
Quote:
On Dec 20, 2020, Jack Straw wrote:
Always was.

Kranzo didn't have an exclusive.

Didn’t realize. Order is in though, they look lovely.
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
5983 Posts

Profile of RNK
They are lovely and the effect is super cool and different from a lot of other magic.
aLittleMentalist
View Profile
New user
Skagway, Alaska
75 Posts

Profile of aLittleMentalist
I love this illusion and was excited to purchase this beautiful prop. I seem to be the only one disappointed in it. I don’t want to give anything away but does anyone else have trouble feeling the “difference” in weight? It’s almost as if they made it too heavy to begin with. Just my opinion but a little disappointing considering the price point.
aLittleMentalist
AlexanderG
View Profile
Veteran user
No more and no less than
361 Posts

Profile of AlexanderG
People often perform this asking spectators to close their eyes. Why? Isn't the illusion enhanced by the sight (in addition to the feel) of lifting fewer slabs?
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
5983 Posts

Profile of RNK
Quote:
On Dec 27, 2020, aLittleMentalist wrote:
I love this illusion and was excited to purchase this beautiful prop. I seem to be the only one disappointed in it. I don’t want to give anything away but does anyone else have trouble feeling the “difference” in weight? It’s almost as if they made it too heavy to begin with. Just my opinion but a little disappointing considering the price point.

Not at all, after trying it on a few people with success I am looking forward to continuing using this. The few times I have been able to try it, when the spectators picked up one piece instead of three, their eyes got real big and a huge smile came across their face. It was definitely a nice moment for all!
Chollet
View Profile
Regular user
Don't be fooled by the fact I only have
189 Posts

Profile of Chollet
Quote:
On Jan 11, 2021, RNK wrote:
Quote:
On Dec 27, 2020, aLittleMentalist wrote:

Not at all, after trying it on a few people with success I am looking forward to continuing using this. The few times I have been able to try it, when the spectators picked up one piece instead of three, their eyes got real big and a huge smile came across their face. It was definitely a nice moment for all!

My experience has been the same. This is a beautiful little "strange thing" to share with people. The big eyes and huge smile seems to be the typical reaction. Along with a little laughter. It is lovely to see people experience something so unexpected and odd. I love it.
aLittleMentalist
View Profile
New user
Skagway, Alaska
75 Posts

Profile of aLittleMentalist
I'm happy that it is working for you! Strangely I have had much better reactions in the past using the three matchbook method than I have had with the blocks. But I'm not giving up. I want to love them as much as I convinced myself I would.
aLittleMentalist
waldorfcartoons
View Profile
New user
22 Posts

Profile of waldorfcartoons
I have the Less is More trick (LIM) and I like it. It suits my role perfectly. It is very well made. First of all, as people have said, it is not a magic trick as such. The only skills needed are making your routine relevant and supporting it with the right patter for your purposes.

I am not a professional magician; I am a professional MC and Toastmaster. Most of my performance work is hosting weddings and other events and I can see Less Is More as a great conversation starter at wedding fairs and exhibitions. I make Impossible Bottles - another non magic trick - and some of my examples have a bride and groom photo peeking through a cut hole in the front of the bottled deck. Or a photo of a new born baby with his/her name, DOB and the words magical day written on the back. These attract people and are great conversation starters and have got me work.

My patter with the LIM blocks will be around the unseen extra value you get from my services. Value is represented by weight. When they lift the top block representing my value as opposed to total value from all suppliers I will have added my business card on top.

I tried this patter with my wife who had the typical disbelieving reaction and the first thing she did was pick up my card and wobble it to see if it was heavy! A natural reaction and, of course, participants keep my card.

Is this repeatable? For my purposes, yes., The Grand Illusions site shows the same effect with decks of cards being repeated.

I can see myself using it at a wedding event; with kids naturally, but how about with ladies where the weight represents the total beauty in the room. When a lady then lifts the top block (her contribution of beauty, imagine the reaction.

Everyone will want to try.
Jaqk Clemente
View Profile
New user
Italy
15 Posts

Profile of Jaqk Clemente
Quote:
On Sep 17, 2020, brainman wrote: I saw this one also on a Lennard Green lecture video...

Me too, and as far as remember was crediter Gary Foshee as inventor, is it correct?
To make my friends nuts I just use card boxes, it will be nice to have a more elegant prop!
http://www.prestigiazione.it/ - Magic News in Italy * http://www.magicschool.it/ - Italian Magicians' Board
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » LESS IS MORE by Joe Deng!!! Back in stock!!!! (5 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL