The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » LESS IS MORE by Joe Deng!!! Back in stock!!!! (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5
DrMattB
View Profile
New user
Delaware
9 Posts

Profile of DrMattB
A question for those of you who have this: Do you think it works better to do it in three steps -- (1) they pick up all three blocks, (2) they pick up two blocks, (3) they pick up just the top block -- OR, is it better (as I saw in one video performance of this) to do it in two steps -- (1) pick up all three blocks and (2) pick up just the top block?
aLittleMentalist
View Profile
Regular user
Skagway, Alaska
113 Posts

Profile of aLittleMentalist
I’m happy to say that I started using a two-handed method for picking up the blocks and it works! I’m really glad I didn’t sell this beautiful prop. It’s one I use for a long time.
aLittleMentalist
Scouser
View Profile
New user
12 Posts

Profile of Scouser
Google “Three match box illusion” and you have just saved yourself a Benjamin.
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
7528 Posts

Profile of RNK
Definitely a cool prop and the blocks are sweet looking. However, I have to say what Paul Carnazzo did with his Infinity Blocks takes this plot to another level. BTW, I do own both sets.
Check out Bafflingbob.com
DJG
View Profile
Inner circle
1296 Posts

Profile of DJG
Quote:
On Jan 19, 2022, Scouser wrote:
Google “Three match box illusion” and you have just saved yourself a Benjamin.

Congrats on your first post. 7 years of lurking for this?
Scouser
View Profile
New user
12 Posts

Profile of Scouser
If you were able to do your research you would have discovered several other pungent posts from me, mostly attempts to discourage fools from being parted with their money. There is a lot of junk out there at merciless prices. Ask yourself, whose post was of more practical use, yours or mine. Perhaps you bought a set and now realize you were conned?
PendletonThe3rd
View Profile
Special user
973 Posts

Profile of PendletonThe3rd
^I'm researching but can't find any other pungent posts from you? I would actually enjoy seeing them as you seem to have a noble cause in mind albeit a bit misguided.

From you're very first post here, the source of your discontent seems to stem from the fact that Less is More uses a well known principle that could be applied and sourced much cheaper. Okay...but you can say that about pretty much every other trick.

It is expensive for three blocks of wood, I'll give you that. But it's a more premium version of the classic effect. All handmade using black walnut wood...a more premium type of wood.

You may be in the wrong field/hobby if price is going to get you every time.
Waters.
View Profile
Special user
703 Posts

Profile of Waters.
Quote:
On Jan 19, 2022, RNK wrote:
Definitely a cool prop and the blocks are sweet looking. However, I have to say what Paul Carnazzo did with his Infinity Blocks takes this plot to another level. BTW, I do own both sets.

Thanks RNK. I previously purchased Less is More and now have ordered Infinity Blocks as well. His handling was worth paying for. I had worked out similar presentational ruses, but his was better. I now look forward to using both.
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
7528 Posts

Profile of RNK
Quote:
On Jan 21, 2022, Waters. wrote:
Quote:
On Jan 19, 2022, RNK wrote:

Thanks RNK. I previously purchased Less is More and now have ordered Infinity Blocks as well. His handling was worth paying for. I had worked out similar presentational ruses, but his was better. I now look forward to using both.

Welcome! Also, the Infinity Block is gimmicked in a slightly different way which enables you to do the different handling.
Scouser
View Profile
New user
12 Posts

Profile of Scouser
"His handling was worth paying for."

May I gently point out that Mr. Carnazzo's "handling" is available, completely free, on YouTube?
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
7528 Posts

Profile of RNK
Quote:
On Jan 23, 2022, Scouser wrote:
"His handling was worth paying for."

May I gently point out that Mr. Carnazzo's "handling" is available, completely free, on YouTube?

And as I stayed earlier, to cannot do his handling with Less is More blocks, only with the Infinity Blocks.
Scouser
View Profile
New user
12 Posts

Profile of Scouser
And from that you couldn't figure out what the gimmick is? My, oh my. But hey, no flash paper off my nose. Spend away, it's your money.

But while we are on the subject, a couple of stray thoughts. For more than a century now, magic stores have got away with justifying their Martian prices by telling customers they are paying for a secret. You know, like the Pentagon's battle plans or the whereabouts of Jimmy Hoffa. All that leverage has disappeared. Any magic secret is now exposed via Google or youTube, and for the most part, pretty simple secrets they are, too. There is a reason magicians don't explain their tricks to their audiences. Embarrassment. And if you want to know how conjuring tricks are done, just watch Penn. Off the top of my head, he has exposed, on air, card shims, swami gimmicks, thumb tips, marked cards (which most people used to associate with gamblers, not magicians) all sorts of forces (again, most audiences didn't know what a force was) equivoque (he calls it "magicians' choice) stripper decks, one way decks, pre-show work, hold-outs and lots more I have forgotten. Penn has reduced magic tricks to magic puzzles; the fun lies in finding out how the trick was done. And for most audiences these days there is a simple solution to many tricks. "Sleight of hand." or "Electronics." They may be quite wrong, but the explanation suffices. Magic was never an art. How pretentious. At best it was a craft, but even that is now fading. And magic shops are still peddling high priced junk made in China. Totally useless stuff is sold as "collectors'" items - "it doesn't do anything, but it will look great in your den." Oy vey. Magic needs something very new. I don't know what that is.
How
View Profile
Regular user
NJ
103 Posts

Profile of How
I thought the story is better then the effect. I didn’t see a significant weight difference in the blocks.
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
7528 Posts

Profile of RNK
Quote:
On Jan 23, 2022, Scouser wrote:
And from that you couldn't figure out what the gimmick is? My, oh my. But hey, no flash paper off my nose. Spend away, it's your money.

But while we are on the subject, a couple of stray thoughts. For more than a century now, magic stores have got away with justifying their Martian prices by telling customers they are paying for a secret. You know, like the Pentagon's battle plans or the whereabouts of Jimmy Hoffa. All that leverage has disappeared. Any magic secret is now exposed via Google or youTube, and for the most part, pretty simple secrets they are, too. There is a reason magicians don't explain their tricks to their audiences. Embarrassment. And if you want to know how conjuring tricks are done, just watch Penn. Off the top of my head, he has exposed, on air, card shims, swami gimmicks, thumb tips, marked cards (which most people used to associate with gamblers, not magicians) all sorts of forces (again, most audiences didn't know what a force was) equivoque (he calls it "magicians' choice) stripper decks, one way decks, pre-show work, hold-outs and lots more I have forgotten. Penn has reduced magic tricks to magic puzzles; the fun lies in finding out how the trick was done. And for most audiences these days there is a simple solution to many tricks. "Sleight of hand." or "Electronics." They may be quite wrong, but the explanation suffices. Magic was never an art. How pretentious. At best it was a craft, but even that is now fading. And magic shops are still peddling high priced junk made in China. Totally useless stuff is sold as "collectors'" items - "it doesn't do anything, but it will look great in your den." Oy vey. Magic needs something very new. I don't know what that is.

Doesn't matter if you can figure it out or not, that has nothing to do with the IB handling. You won't be able to do Paul's handling with the Less is More gimmicked block. That was my point. So will have to purchase Paul's set to do his handling.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » LESS IS MORE by Joe Deng!!! Back in stock!!!! (5 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL